Parents of young kids -- READ THIS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Yesterday I got this email from a friend who works with an area fire department:

DC-G Parent,

The following message is being sent through the DC-G AlertNow system, on behalf of Chief Michelle R. Leonard, Dallas Center Police Dept.

WARNING: CHILD SAFETY ISSUE

On 06-09-08, between 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm, a dark colored vehicle approached two 10 year-old females at 14th and Sugar Grove. He offered money, showing them money, if they would get into the vehicle. The suspect was a white male with short hair, plates possibly Nebraska with partial plate being GAZA. He circled the block approx. 8 to 10 times prior to speaking to them.

On 06-10-08, between 6:00 pm and 6:30 pm, a nine year-old female was approached at the corner of 10th and Walnut. The white male was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. He spoke very nice to her. He had short dark hair and a skinny build. He was driving a newer dark colored vehicle, unknown plate information. He stuck his hand out the window with a five dollar bill in it and offered it to her if she got into the car.

I would like everyone to take this opportunity to discuss with their children the danger and the importance of escape in a situation like this. I would also encourage the children to pay attention to license plates, facial hair, race, clothing, scars, etc. Run to the nearest safe place and immediately ask an adult to call 911. I encourage people not to share the information ie: name and address of girls already approached as it may endanger them. I am currently running a search on the partial plate information through Nebraska and Iowa. I will have officers out during the evening hours looking for specifics. I have notified Fire and EMS to also be on the look out. Area agencies have been notified of the incidents as well.

The suspect has not gotten out of his vehicle and approached anyone. He offers them money from inside the vehicle. If anyone has any information they think might me of assistance to the location and identification of the suspect please feel free to call the Sheriff's Office at 993-4567, Dallas Center Police Dept. at 992-3086, City Hall at 992-3725 or email me at dallascenterpd@mchsi.com. Otherwise call 911 if a similar incident occurs.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Chief Michelle R. Leonard
Dallas Center Police Dept.

Last night a friend across the street who happens to be a Waukee police officer came over and told me that just a few blocks from our house, a guy fitting the description similar to the sick piece of trash in the letter and again driving a dark colored car approached 4 young girls and offered them money to get into his car. This happened just south of the high school on SE Olson Drive. Please have another talk with your kids about avoiding this creep and keep on the lookout for dark colored cars that look out of place.

I don't want to start a panic at all, just wanted people to be aware of this. As the parents of 3 girls from 3 to almost 9, I wanted to make sure as many people know about this as possible.

CR91

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I would like to Citizen's arrest this guy and accidentally have a car or blunt object hit him in the face and crotch a couple times. He tripped, not sure why :wideeyed:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I would like to Citizen's arrest this guy and accidentally have a car or blunt object hit him in the face and crotch a couple times. He tripped, not sure why :wideeyed:

10-4, I could think of a lot of things that would be fun, but if I mentioned it, it might be used against me in court.........:skeptical:

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
When my kids were young, we had a "secret code" word that only we knew. If ANYONE - including relatives - tried to get them in the car, they would have had to know the secret code word. Fortunately, it never was used - but it made them actually feel a little safer.

I think we picked up the idea from an article or book titled "Street Smart Kids". it's also important that the kids know in those situations that they scream and run in the OPPOSITE direction the vehicle is facing.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
When my kids were young, we had a "secret code" word that only we knew. If ANYONE - including relatives - tried to get them in the car, they would have had to know the secret code word. Fortunately, it never was used - but it made them actually feel a little safer.

I think we picked up the idea from an article or book titled "Street Smart Kids". it's also important that the kids know in those situations that they scream and run in the OPPOSITE direction the vehicle is facing.

My parents had one for my two sisters and I as well. We never had to use it, but it definitely made all involved feel much better.

However, the cops didn't know the secret word, but I still had to get in the car with them....:no:

I kid I kid :biglaugh:

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I hope a neighborhood father finds this guy before the cops do. I'm not a violent person, but I would make an exception in this case.

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for the warning. The faster word spreads, the better. Mrs. yCy

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
A small part of me wonders if Waukee is doing this to raise awareness instead of an actual sick guy out there trying to abduct girls.

The only reason It think that is the information got out rather quickly and all the attempted abductions occurred during the day when he could've been spotted easily.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I very vaguely remember a situation like this in my hometown when I was younger. And then one day I was playing in my friend's backyard, and apparently a car was circling the block. My friend's mom ran out and got us. I don't think I dreamed it, anyway.

Shouldn't this be put in the paper or something so everyone knows, or who exactly are these emails being sent to?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
A small part of me wonders if Waukee is doing this to raise awareness instead of an actual sick guy out there trying to abduct girls.

The only reason It think that is the information got out rather quickly and all the attempted abductions occurred during the day when he could've been spotted easily.

The two incidents in the letter happened in Dallas Center and the letter is from the Dallas Center Police Chief. Yesterday at 4pm it happened in Waukee. I would say there is little to no chance it is public awareness tactic.

And if it is one, it is a pretty pisspoor one at that...:no:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Shouldn't this be put in the paper or something so everyone knows, or who exactly are these emails being sent to?

The letter emailed to me was from the DC-G Police Chief and was sent out to the school district parents and was also sent to area law enforcement including the Assistant Fire who forwarded it on to me.

I do agree that there should be more public information shared though.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

This shows you don't have or raised any kids.

Not to be an ***, but if this is truely from the police department, why question it?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I didn't question it, I said a small part of me wondered if they were doing it to raise awareness. Nothing more.