Computer error: reinstalling XP

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
My computer seems to be all messed up. When I start up my computer I get a blue screen and an error that reads:
stop: c0000221 unknown hard error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll
I googled it and it sounds like the best solution is to reinstall windows xp.
What's the best way of going about this, while keeping all of my files??? Any help is much appreciated!

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
My computer seems to be all messed up. When I start up my computer I get a blue screen and an error that reads:
stop: c0000221 unknown hard error
\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll
I googled it and it sounds like the best solution is to reinstall windows xp.
What's the best way of going about this, while keeping all of my files??? Any help is much appreciated!

Make sure you get all of your important files that you want burnt onto a cd, then go from there...

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Far from an expert on the topic, but I am 0/1 on reinstalling XP, and 0/2 reinstalling an OS. Not to be a downer; I am sure there are about 400-500 more qualified individuals on this site that could give you quality advice.

Good luck.

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
Far from an expert on the topic, but I am 0/1 on reinstalling XP, and 0/2 reinstalling an OS. Not to be a downer; I am sure there are about 400-500 more qualified individuals on this site that could give you quality advice.

Good luck.

Reformatting a computer may be difficult to begin with, but once you get the hang of it... its fairly easy! And once your done with it, its great to have your computer running like new again!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm actually, 1/1. But, I had a computer engineer help me do it, so I guess that doesn't really count. Unfortunatly, he graduated last year and is no where to be found... :sad:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I believe when you put in the XP disk if gives you the option of repair but I could be wrong...someone wanna confirm or deny that

I know I've re-installed XP on my laptop before but I don't remember the step by step stuff.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I believe when you put in the XP disk if gives you the option of repair but I could be wrong...someone wanna confirm or deny that

I know I've re-installed XP on my laptop before but I don't remember the step by step stuff.

Yeah, I was reading some stuff on the internet and they said it would give me the option to "repair."
But, do I need to backup my files? and how do I do that if I can't even turn the computer all the way on....

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Yeah, I was reading some stuff on the internet and they said it would give me the option to "repair."
But, do I need to backup my files? and how do I do that if I can't even turn the computer all the way on....

The only way would be to pull your hard drive out and put it in another PC.

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006

When you reformat or repair your XP you don't want your computer to be "all the way on" anyway... you want to restart it and boot from the disk!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The only way would be to pull your hard drive out and put it in another PC.

LOL, well dang... I guess I don't really have anything that important.
What are the odds that I lose everything when reinstalling windows, through a repair?

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Have someone burn you a copy of knoppix. You can use that to boot and then copy your important files (Documents & Settings folder, things like quicken might store their data in their own folder) to another hard drive (get an external usb one for backups anyway)

The reinstall the os. you can copy stuff back at your leisure.

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
What are the odds that I lose everything when reinstalling windows, through a repair?

Oh, sorry I misread your post, I didn't realize you were asking how to back up your old files if you can't turn it on all the way... But yeah that guy said it right... You might be better off just getting rid of them all unless you really need something!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
When you repair, it only repairs the files which are corrupted, so you shouldn't lose anything, but God only knows. You look like a CyBookie regular...take a gamble :wink:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Have someone burn you a copy of knoppix. You can use that to boot and then copy your important files (Documents & Settings folder, things like quicken might store their data in their own folder) to another hard drive (get an external usb one for backups anyway)

The reinstall the os. you can copy stuff back at your leisure.

I might try this...

Oh, sorry I misread your post, I didn't realize you were asking how to back up your old files if you can't turn it on all the way... But yeah that guy said it right... You might be better off just getting rid of them all unless you really need something!

And if, above, doesn't work... I will do this.. screw it all. :biglaugh:

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
Try resetting your cmos. I have head from other people that it has helped. I had to do it one time but it was because I was overclocking my cpu and it locked up.

I am not sure why you are getting the blue screen but it is worth a try.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Try resetting your cmos. I have head from other people that it has helped. I had to do it one time but it was because I was overclocking my cpu and it locked up.

I am not sure why you are getting the blue screen but it is worth a try.

The hard drive's probably got a bad sector.

Another thing to try (but it costs $90) is http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm- I've used it to recover a few hard drives with similar problems.

If it's a virus, he's better off copying important data, wiping the hard drive, and reinstalling.