Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If you can, take plenty of photos. Not easy when you're working - but I do think all the photos people took from '93 helped get people off their rears earlier this year.

Seems kind of silly to take photos of other's misery - but IMO - it helps get others involved now and in the future.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
The downtown is closed to pretty much everybody now. Alliant and MidAmerican employees can still get in to grab laptops but they're talking about shutting it all the way sometime to tomorrow. We've been told to work from home (or fill sandbags) tomorrow and Friday.

Been filling bags with sand all day, so I didn't see much but its going to be touch and go to keep the lights on. Vinton lost power already ... who knows when it will be back on. Marshalltown plant is totally offline to prevent equipment failure (motors don't run well under water). I hear the only way to get to the plant is by rowboat.

In Cedar Rapids several substations are already seeing water at the sandbags and the system is going to be stressed if things fail. Be ready for power issues.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Geez you guys... quit hoggin the rain and send it to California already! :wink:

Seriously though try to stay dry... I have friends in Palo and parents in Robins

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I am out here in Palo still helping people either raise their belongings off the ground, or move out all together all day. I was helping fill sand bags for a while earlier between helpings people move, but the location moved out to the neighborhoods so couldn't help after that.

They are working to keep the power on as long as possible now, but it is expected to be going out sometime this evening. Here are some photos I have taken so far today.

Picture 1 is from the road closed sign at 3:30 picture 2 is 3 hours later

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I got home late and didn't realize how bad of shape my hometown and the surrounding communities were in. Then my brother calls me from San Diego to find out if I'm floating away. He probably knew more about the problems than I did at that time. I guess I've been too immersed in my work lately to realize just how serious this situation is for some areas. You wouldn't have a clue where I work and live and I hope it stays that way.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I am out here in Palo still helping people either raise their belongings off the ground, or move out all together all day. I was helping fill sand bags for a while earlier between helpings people move, but the location moved out to the neighborhoods so couldn't help after that.

They are working to keep the power on as long as possible now, but it is expected to be going out sometime this evening. Here are some photos I have taken so far today.

Picture 1 is from the road closed sign at 3:30 picture 2 is 3 hours later

Where exactly were those pictures taken? I'm trying to identify landmarks as I live down Blairs Ferry road from Palo, just outside CR city limits.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I know exactly where you live muhahahahaha

I was standing at the 4 way stop sign in Palo at blairsferry and palo marsh road.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Here are some more pictures, I wish I could of taken some photos while going home(normally a 10 min drive took 1 hour) Downtown is a mess right now.