Downtown residents should be ready to evac. Also, 'Part Of Downtown Could Lose Power'

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Re: MidAmerican: 'Part Of Downtown Could Lose Power'

For those of you who work downtown, are people in your offices giddy at the thought of getting out of work early or not having to come in at all because of the flood? I know I would be. Kind of like the feeling when a major snowstorm is coming.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

For those of you who work downtown, are people in your offices giddy at the thought of getting out of work early or not having to come in at all because of the flood? I know I would be. Kind of like the feeling when a major snowstorm is coming.

They told us yesterday to make sure we have our laptops at home. I'd rather not deal with it because it will just mean that we will have to work late nights and worry about DR plans.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

To be completely honest, my wife isn't disappointed. She's still working, but doing it from home and/or in her company's Urbandale location - which is much closer for us. She has been working out of a small, very "crappy" downtown office...which has sucked for a few reasons. The biggest being she was supposed to be in Urbandale, was told that when hired - but her department was moved downtown from WDSM instead of into the new Urbandale location.

So this will allow us to save a ton of money on gas. She's hoping they just won't continue the lease downtown (if it floods) and she'll be able to work from home/Urbandale until the 2nd new building in Urbandale is built.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Re: Downtown residents should be ready to evac. Also, 'Part Of Downtown Could Lose Po

I'm not worried, some of the facilities guys here said that the flood waters never got close to the building here so it would take much more water than in 1993 to be a concern here. Only 2 things that could be problems are backed up drains or loss of power. I'm really not getting hopes up or getting concerned about anything really.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Re: Downtown residents should be ready to evac. Also, 'Part Of Downtown Could Lose Po

W/O power, my buddy who lives in the condo's across fromt he science center has been without power since Monday. Water in their underground garage was shoulder deep, cars ruined. Not Good.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

W/O power, my buddy who lives in the condo's across fromt he science center has been without power since Monday. Water in their underground garage was shoulder deep, cars ruined. Not Good.

Whiteline lofts?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Last edited by a moderator:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Was just in downtown Cedar Rapids. It is crazy down there. No one really knows what is going to happen.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm anal because he doesn't know what a prediction is? Ok captain.

I know what a prediction is. What is the point of making one when you change it constantly, despite little change in the known variables?

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised

I know what a prediction is. What is the point of making one when you change it constantly, despite little change in the known variables?
I think the thing is that we don't know all the variables, and even if we did probably wouldn't understand most of them.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley

To be completely honest, my wife isn't disappointed. She's still working, but doing it from home and/or in her company's Urbandale location - which is much closer for us. She has been working out of a small, very "crappy" downtown office...which has sucked for a few reasons. The biggest being she was supposed to be in Urbandale, was told that when hired - but her department was moved downtown from WDSM instead of into the new Urbandale location.

So this will allow us to save a ton of money on gas. She's hoping they just won't continue the lease downtown (if it floods) and she'll be able to work from home/Urbandale until the 2nd new building in Urbandale is built.

Cool story Hansel.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Like adding in rainfall totals for today? :eek: Not quite "little". :wink:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron