Drill Oil NOW

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am the only one down with this. Seems like everyone is drilling our oil off our coasts except the United States because of the enviromentalists.

I am for drilling in Alaska with boundries and rules against killing the wildlife and ruining the scenery up there.

I know Newt has a petition on his web site trying to get us to dril.

What do you all think?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
With 4.00 gas I imagine the # opposed to it might be dwindling.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'm actually ok with 4 dollar gas provided it gets people thinking more seriously about 1) driving less 2)other energy sources 3) developing in a less auto oriented manner.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I am the only one down with this. Seems like everyone is drilling our oil off our coasts except the United States because of the enviromentalists.

I am for drilling in Alaska with boundries and rules against killing the wildlife and ruining the scenery up there.

What do you all think?

DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW, DRILL OFTEN!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
As a utility employee who deals with natty gas,

there IS a shortage of drilling equipment in the states as well as experienced folks simply because our nation has put so much off-limits.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
That is great, but there are many people who can't afford it.

I feel for those people but I'm not about to vote for continued cheap oil for those folks (and everyone else) at the expense of larger future problems. At 4 bucks most people CAN afford it if they change their habbits some. Thats kind of the point, actually.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I'm actually ok with 4 dollar gas provided it gets people thinking more seriously about 1) driving less 2)other energy sources 3) developing in a less auto oriented manner.
True but there are people that have to commute to work and really don't have much of a choice. I switched school districts last year and the commute was part of it. I went from 30-40 minutes each way to 5. Now it's looking like a great move money-wise too with the costs of driving going through the roof.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I feel for those people but I'm not about to vote for continued cheap oil for those folks (and everyone else) at the expense of larger future problems. At 4 bucks most people CAN afford it if they change their habbits some. Thats kind of the point, actually.

I agree with you in principal, but you are going to hurt many people with this strategy in the short term.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Some people seem to think it's only the price of gas that is going up. :skeptical:

Drill, drill, drill. A lot of people say we have enough to sustain us for 200-300 years. Heck even if it's just 50-100 years, that should be plenty of time to find another energy source.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

What do you all think?

Trust me, I have been all over ANWR, there is no threat to wildlife there. The place is huge, and there is hardly any wildlife. What is interesting is the wildlife, well they like to congregate near the people. When you get close to Prudhoe bay, all of a sudden the caribou and other animals pop up close to the people. It is weird.

I am all for expanding domestic oil production, and am aware that $4 gas really hurts those who are poorer and have to commute for 2 jobs. I also agree that as gas gets higher, there is more incentive for innovation and conservation, which are also good things.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
I agree with you in principal, but you are going to hurt many people with this strategy in the short term.

I think we're to the point where hurting people is unavoidable. High gas prices will hurt people now. Kicking the ball down the road will result in high gas prices and more pain later when the oil gets harder to find.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

I can afford it at 4 bucks. I'll have to change my lifestyle more at 5 bucks. Beyond that, it's scary. Me? I'm okay with drilling right through a polar bear up in Alaska to get to our own oil.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Sacrifice the long term to benefit the short term? Seems rather short sited and certainly not proactive.

But then again, proactive regarding our energy sources kind of went out the window years ago.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

$4 gas is the means to a better future, you have to feel some pain for anyone to make any changes. Time to start moving closer to work, time to start driving small cars, I still drive by 2 car dealers in Ankeny every day, and the lots are still FULL of SUV's. Americans have no patience for conservation.