Gloom and Doom

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I take anything I hear in the media with a grain of salt because I used to be a member of it (far from the left wing though).
It is hard not to get depressed when hearing about everything bad going on right now, from record oil prices, inflation, and war, to the severe record flooding and tornadoes that are going on in our own backyards.
Personally, I am still doing fine. My hometown was nearly wiped off the map by a tornado, but my family made it through unscathed. Our second child is due now in under 2 months, and we took out a maternity policy on my wife so there will be no lost wages. My income has doubled in the last 6 months, and I've had no water or storm damage to my house. Sure I'm paying more for gas than I ever have before, but we were saving nearly half our income before so it doesn't affect our day-to-day things. Spent last weekend at the zoo, going camping this weekend, and going to be in my brother-in-laws wedding the following weekend.
I realize that some people really may not want to read this, but after taking a step back, I realized that things aren't too bad for me right now. Anyone else in the same camp?
I don't want to downplay anything that has happened anywhere right now either, but I thought it was time to get some positive things out there. I realize I'll be lucky to have 1 response to this.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Self employed. Sell huge amounts of life insurance to people who don't need it. Ok, some do, but most don't.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Self employed

That is what I was thinking...I am hoping to have the same good fortune (self-employed as well) in the near future. Things are starting to look good. No, in all seriousness, that is awesome that you are doing well. Hopefully there a lot more that can say the same.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
flipping foreclosed housing?
If I had any knowledge of inner real estate workings, I would probably try it. As it is, I stick with life insurance, investments, and football.

Oh yeah, another plus, I've got my first football camp in under 2 weeks.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
You are officially not allowed to complain about anything...
I'll try and keep my mouth shut. The thread I started on the oil debate yesterday was to see what people thought of that guy's website and if it was accurate. It quickly took a wrong turn.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I cannot watch the news anymore with the top story always reflecting gas prices.

Amen. I am getting sick and tired of every newscast bemoaning the cost of gasoline if it goes up 2 cents!

I am not discounting anyone's financial struggles, but a gasoline price increase of 2 cents IS NOT NEWS.

Next at 10:00, beer prices rise a nickel.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Amen. I am getting sick and tired of every newscast bemoaning the cost of gasoline if it goes up 2 cents!

I am not discounting anyone's financial struggles, but a gasoline price increase of 2 cents IS NOT NEWS.

Next at 10:00, beer prices rise a nickel.

What makes it worse is that the next story following the gas hike lead-in is always about some new transportation geared towards curbing spending.

Like jet packs and pimped out scooters.

even the national news is doing it.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
What is funny is when crude oil prices go up it is splashed across the headlines like the next world war, but where are the headlines now that is is about to fall back below 130 a barrel, and probably much further now the the Saudis upped their production by 500k barrels a day.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
What is funny is when crude oil prices go up it is splashed across the headlines like the next world war, but where are the headlines now that is is about to fall back below 130 a barrel, and probably much further now the the Saudis upped their production by 500k barrels a day.

That's because it always goes up twice as much or more than what it later drops. That way, they can point to the price drops and they think we won't feel so bad about getting bent over. :smile:

There is no reason the price of oil has to jump up every time some mullah in the Middle East farts.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
I realize that some people really may not want to read this, but after taking a step back, I realized that things aren't too bad for me right now. Anyone else in the same camp?

I'm just thankful to be around. I had congestive heart failure a little over 2 years ago. I had postponed seeing the doctor but when I did go I was immediately sent to the hospital (I think they told me my resting heart rate was 150). A year afterwards my family physician and my cardiologist told me I was really close to not being around. It definitely puts things into perspective.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I'm just thankful to be around. I had congestive heart failure a little over 2 years ago. I had postponed seeing the doctor but when I did go I was immediately sent to the hospital (I think they told me my resting heart rate was 150). A year afterwards my family physician and my cardiologist told me I was really close to not being around. It definitely puts things into perspective.

That's a powerful story. Congrats to you on still being here. I'm sure you look at life a little differently now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My life is always great. I'm totally blessed and thankful.