Events ruined by cell phones

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Oooh, I have lived this dream. Believe it or not, their are egocentric idiots who will actually carry on a full-voice phone conversation during an orchestra recital.

Being a testosterone-filled caveman, (who enjoys classical music, btw) I nearly had to be restrained from shoving said phone up an orifice....

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I golfed with my brother this weekend. He doesn't golf much, is from a rural area, so I was cutting him some slack. But I almost wanted to wrap a club around his head when A) He left the ringer on while we were golfing and B) Answered the phone and had an unnecessary, non-whispering, chatty conversation with some guy while people are trying to swing.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
Oooh, I have lived this dream. Believe it or not, their are egocentric idiots who will actually carry on a full-voice phone conversation during an orchestra recital.

Being a testosterone-filled caveman, (who enjoys classical music, btw) I nearly had to be restrained from shoving said phone up an orifice....

I would not have restrained you, in fact I would have helped you!!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"There's definitely a problem where people are so busy documenting the moment that they forget to just live in the moment."

Sums it up for me. People are forgetting to live things. Use their natural senses, etc.

My wife and I talked about this the other day. What would happen if this country lost use of technology. It would be extremely scary for decades. Think about it, no electricity (no lights at night), no cars, no air con, computers, cell phones, etc. There are those of us who would probably be ok, but we would be trampled by those who panic.

I hate cell phones with a passion and Im a tech nut. They have really separated us from reality and true human communication.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The last Pink Floyd concert I was at I probably could not even get the cell phone out of my pocket. Let alone take a picture. Needless to say I did some things that night that I had not done since high school. I would do it all over again to.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Several years ago as a soloist with the Wartburg choir, I had just got done doing a piece on Good Friday at a church in Chicago. Very solemn song at the end of the concert, lights were off. The only sound you heard were sniffles of people reflecting on the moment, and the audience was preparing to exit in silence. Then.....RINGGGGGG!
If that wasn't bad enough, then you hear "Hey, I'm in church I'll call you back," In full voice.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The sad thing is now before weddings and some church services they ask everyone to turn off or silence their phones. I've seen phones go off both at a wedding and in the middle of a church service. It's just 1 hour out of your day people, if it's that important then don't attend whatever it is that you have to have your cell phone on for.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
I golfed with my brother this weekend. He doesn't golf much, is from a rural area, so I was cutting him some slack. But I almost wanted to wrap a club around his head when A) He left the ringer on while we were golfing and B) Answered the phone and had an unnecessary, non-whispering, chatty conversation with some guy while people are trying to swing.

What does being from a rural area, have to do with it? Just curious.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The sad thing is now before weddings and some church services they ask everyone to turn off or silence their phones. I've seen phones go off both at a wedding and in the middle of a church service. It's just 1 hour out of your day people, if it's that important then don't attend whatever it is that you have to have your cell phone on for.

Exactly....

Here is some of the top places I can't stand people with cell phones.

1. Funerals. (actually had the pastor tell someone to get out because their phone rang 2 times)

2. Church
3. Weddings
4. Meetings (put it on vibrate and let it go or leave the room)
5. Elevator (nothing worse than someone screaming on the elevator and they are 2 feet from you in a box)
6. Some sorty of quiet concert/ movie/ theatre type setting.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Exactly....

Here is some of the top places I can't stand people with cell phones.

1. Funerals. (actually had the pastor tell someone to get out because their phone rang 2 times)

2. Church
3. Weddings
4. Meetings (put it on vibrate and let it go or leave the room)
5. Elevator (nothing worse than someone screaming on the elevator and they are 2 feet from you in a box)
6. Some sorty of quiet concert/ movie/ theatre type setting.

My list would include a few more places, but it's a lot shorter:
1. Anywhere outdoors.
2. Anywhere indoors.

Unless you have to use it for your job, feel free to put that phone away.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
My list would include a few more places, but it's a lot shorter:
1. Anywhere outdoors.
2. Anywhere indoors.

Unless you have to use it for your job, feel free to put that phone away.

:no::no::no::no::no::no:

You just do not like any phone.:wink:

(maybe working 3rd shift is why)

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
:no::no::no::no::no::no:

You just do not like any phone.:wink:

(maybe working 3rd shift is why)

I get the same from my wife. She forces me to carry a cell phone, "just in case", but I steadfastly "forget" to charge it with minutes.

It's small enough to make a handy pocket-watch, though....

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Phone went off right behind the wife and I while seeing Riverdance. I thought the whole row was going to have a cow and strangle the offender.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I hate cell phones, wished I didn't have one, but I do as the wife thinks she has to keep track of me.....grr! The only time a cell phone would be handy is in the case of a car breakdown.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron