JEFF WOODY: Characteristics the next coach needs to have

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Well done, Jeff. Can this please be published in the DMR? All fans, including non-Cyclones, deserve to read it. Thanks to CPR for all his passion and contributions to ISU.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Woody- how important is it for a coach to embrace the "hip" way of doing things when it comes to managing a program and dealing with players/recruits? Herman is killing it with social media at Houston. Everyone knows about the uniform combos at certain schools. Fleck has the "row the boat" thing going. Does that stuff matter?

boblaporte

Sep 4, 2013
Iowa
This is great commentary by Jeff.
Paul Rhoads repeatedly did the right thing rather than what was in his best interest for long term employment. Dismissing our two wayward tackles was an example of that.

Spam

May 21, 2008
"The new coach must have personality and midwestern character traits."

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I disagree on the 'players coach'. Seems a short term revolt for long term results would be far better than having the players being in charge of the team.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Well done, Jeff. Can this please be published in the DMR? All fans, including non-Cyclones, deserve to read it. Thanks to CPR for all his passion and contributions to ISU.

No kidding. Instead we get a list of the same candidates talked about everywhere. Oh and Dan McCarney on the list from the Des Moines Register. Seriously.

Well written and a good read. Definitely agree with Woody on the coaching traits needed here.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
"The new coach must have personality and midwestern character traits."

Good write up Jeff. I agree with all you've said except for this statement.

Is this a must have? We just fired a guy with these qualifications. I believe there are many humble, honest, high integrity coaches that are not from the midwest. Parents of players will embrace any coach that comes in their home as long as they feel they have their son's best interest at heart. If the coach has a track record of being honest, humble, and possesses high integrity that's a plus. The rest will have to be proven over time. That's the nature of college football. And at the end of the day, it's still a big money business. Let's not lose sight of that. It's also a game where wins are usually the only thing that matters. Let's not lose sight of that either. Bo Pelini had to match Tom Osbourne. That's a tough position for any coach. His demise was more about who Tom was and less of what Pelini was not.

CPR has left ISU in a better place than it was when he arrived. For many of us in the coaching business, that's always a great thing and a positive that helps you acquire the next job. So, I agree fully with you Jeff, CPR will be just fine.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Good article, but I was expecting a little more than was specifically related to football. For instance, should we avoid hiring a defensive coordinator for the fourth time in a row in an offensive minded conference?

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Good article, but I was expecting a little more than was specifically related to football. For instance, should we avoid hiring a defensive coordinator for the fourth time in a row in an offensive minded conference?

Yes! See Michigan.

Hoke, for example, also left Michigan in a better place than it was when he got there, including recruits. Harbaugh is getting a lot of credit for turning them around, but Hoke had a good base of recruits already in place.

We need an offensive mind who knows how to put it all together.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Good write up Jeff. I agree with all you've said except for this statement.

Is this a must have? We just fired a guy with these qualifications. I believe there are many humble, honest, high integrity coaches that are not from the midwest. Parents of players will embrace any coach that comes in their home as long as they feel they have their son's best interest at heart. If the coach has a track record of being honest, humble, and possesses high integrity that's a plus. The rest will have to be proven over time. That's the nature of college football. And at the end of the day, it's still a big money business. Let's not lose sight of that. It's also a game where wins are usually the only thing that matters. Let's not lose sight of that either. Bo Pelini had to match Tom Osbourne. That's a tough position for any coach. His demise was more about who Tom was and less of what Pelini was not.

CPR has left ISU in a better place than it was when he arrived. For many of us in the coaching business, that's always a great thing and a positive that helps you acquire the next job. So, I agree fully with you Jeff, CPR will be just fine.

I think Midwestern values is code for "let's not hire another Chizik." Although I suppose having some dumb hick from Texas would be nice because they would be able to communicate with the B12 refs.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I don't care about "midwest" values. We need a guy that can come in and change the culture. Until we expect to win instead of expect to lose, we aren't going to be successful. Winning cures all.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't care about "midwest" values. We need a guy that can come in and change the culture. Until we expect to win instead of expect to lose, we aren't going to be successful. Winning cures all.

Yeah, it would definitely be a bonus, to have "midwest" values, but if you find a guy who can come in here and win and win regularly, I'll take west coast ******* any day. IMO, the "Good Guy" "Midwestern Values" are for the coaches who can't ever get over the hump. We had those values in CPR, that becomes a problem when it's time for him to go, but everyone loves "The Guy" more than they do his coaching ability.

I guess for me I've come to the realization this is ISU. After Hoiberg left, I realize there isn't going to be any coach to come in here, win regularly and stay forever. So I just want a winner and I want him to change the culture, so that going 2-10, 3-9 is completely unacceptable for two years in a row.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I think Midwestern values is code for "let's not hire another Chizik." Although I suppose having some dumb hick from Texas would be nice because they would be able to communicate with the B12 refs.

FYI, Chizik is not from Texas. However, that "dumb hick" Mark Dantonio is. That other "dumb hick" Art Briles has done one hell of a job with a program that was equal or worse than ISU. So, I suppose having some "dumb hick" from Texas would be nice.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
FYI, Chizik is not from Texas. However, that "dumb hick" Mark Dantonio is. That other "dumb hick" Art Briles has done one hell of a job with a program that was equal or worse than ISU. So, I suppose having some "dumb hick" from Texas would be nice.

Sorry if I offended yall.