Any updates on Ames Flooding?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Just wondering if there are any updates on the flooding?

I know the water went down and Duff was opened up Saturday, but does anyone know about the status of the businesses in the area??

I saw the damage first hand, but really not aware of the extent of it all.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I went to the Jimmy John's by Best Buy yesterday and most places in that area looked open. The land behind the bowling alley was still slightly flooded but the alley's parking lot was dry.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm hoping to get to look around tomorrow during work. I might have to find a way to be out of the office for an hour or so....

So did the water ever get high enough to get to WalMarts front door??

Matthew-10

Nov 13, 2006
I talked to the owners of O'Malley and McGee's and it looks like they are going to close the doors for good. They have been through 3 floods now and they just don't want to go through it all again. I worked there in the 80's and I am sad to see it go.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
I talked to the owners of O'Malley and McGee's and it looks like they are going to close the doors for good. They have been through 3 floods now and they just don't want to go through it all again. I worked there in the 80's and I am sad to see it go.

Let´s hope this doesn´t come to pass. That is my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. Did they mention moving or anything like that? :sad:

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I heard that they had to evac Walmart and Target on Friday. Only heard if from one source so take it for what its worth.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I heard that they had to evac Walmart and Target on Friday. Only heard if from one source so take it for what its worth.

They did sand bag the back doors at Target and told employees to leave. I know the water surrounded the whole store. I'm not sure about Wal Mart though. I know they built it up higher then the rest of the area but it was getting dang close.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Water never got in at Walmart as far as I've heard. They did lose some product when they had to shut the power off though.

Yeah, we went into Wal-Mart on Saturday and everything looked fine other than missing a bunch of stuff in the refrigerated/frozen food sections. My wife went in again on Sunday and said they were restocking the dairy section.

Actually, Wal-Mart should be the least of peoples' worries among the businesses affected in that area. Out of all of them, I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart will survive. :skeptical:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yeah, we went into Wal-Mart on Saturday and everything looked fine other than missing a bunch of stuff in the refrigerated/frozen food sections. My wife went in again on Sunday and said they were restocking the dairy section.

Actually, Wal-Mart should be the least of peoples' worries among the businesses affected in that area. Out of all of them, I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart will survive. :skeptical:
"The heart of WalMart is somewhere near the electronics section" (god I hope someone catches on to that). As long as the water didn't get back there, it'll be fine.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com

Didn't you know that the world would end if a single Wal-Mart goes out of business?
Wal-Mart Sucks!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Now.... its not like I'm a big Wal Mart fan. I only asked about Wal Mart because it is a brand new building and they put it in the most idoitic spot you could in Ames. They should of just put the damn thing on South 16 right next to the Skunk.

I know Thiesens is built up kinda high too, but seriously another stupid location that shouldn't of been built.

I'm more worried about the local small business located in the area. But I do like hearing about the big boys getting hit.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I thought that Wal-Mart had to build it up to a certain level for the city to approve them... but I don't know that for a fact... It would be stupid not to, considering that land has flooded consistently in the recent past.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The ground wal-mart was built on was raised 6 feet before construction started. 136,000 tons of fill material went in there. Pretty impressive operation while it was going on. I think there was a truck crossing the scale at Hallett's Ames pit once every 45 seconds a couple days.

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I thought they had to build it up, but I didn't realize how much. Sad I can't find updated stories in any papers.

Wow the rain is coming down hard now...

Ohhh... And it is raining to the North too.... Not good

Last edited: