Is Kinnick too big of a stadium for Iowa or do Iowa fans just really suck?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Kind of what I was thinking. If you're socially challenged, so be it, and it's nothing to mock. But I've tailgated in yard parties in Melrose Heights and just off of Melrose where we didn't really know the people paying for the yard, at private parties at apartment complexes, stops along Melrose Ave., in Finkbine, in the lot right outside of Kinnick, and most of the time had great times with fans of the opposing team. If you need to know everyone in order to approach a good time at a tailgate, so be it. But I love all the different scenes you find at Iowa tailgating. And nearly every time we've had fun with fans of the opposing team who are chill and don't take ***** too seriously.

And I love how ISU tailgating is one gigantic extended, connected party.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
i cant imagine what type of person it takes to think iowa city tailgating sucks.

is isu great? you bet. but it has an NFL feel to it, much like arrowhead. it lacks the on-campus feel of many schools. different strokes, i guess.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
i cant imagine what type of person it takes to think iowa city tailgating sucks.

is isu great? you bet. but it has an NFL feel to it, much like arrowhead. it lacks the on-campus feel of many schools. different strokes, i guess.

ISU tailgating is much better than Iowa. Period. No reasonable person would say otherwise and even Hawk fans admit tailgating has gone downhill in Iowa City lately

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

The student lots have the college atmosphere, but I suppose you're not wrong about the stadium parking lots.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Yes, it would be tough for a hok fan to imagine that. Go back to your closet.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I amazed at the amount of "die-hard" fans that have all of a sudden come out of the woodwork on facebook, yet are unable to name a player not named Tim Dwight.

I am also amazed at the number of "die-hard" neighbors that I see out mowing the lawn, cleaning their garage or walking their dog during Iowa football games.

Went in to Hy-Vee to get some beers for the TCU tailgate at 11:30 and a hawk fan was in there reading the ad, walked by him and he saw my ISU shirt and he said go hawks. Not sure he even knew they were playing.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

When did they build a campus in Iowa City? Must be new :jimlad:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

So you are comparing ISU to one of the top tailgating NFL stadiums? I'll take it.
While on campus school stadiums may be "historical" that also generally that means less spots to park, and less tailgating options. When that happens it becomes a business and takes away from the fun IMO. Texas is like that, Camp Randall is a little like that too.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
So you are comparing ISU to one of the top tailgating NFL stadiums? I'll take it.
While on campus school stadiums may be "historical" that also generally that means less spots to park, and less tailgating options. When that happens it becomes a business and takes away from the fun IMO. Texas is like that, Camp Randall is a little like that too.

I think most Iowa fans would agree that tailgating at ISU is pretty good. However, its the ISU fans that think since ISUs tailgating is good, Iowa's must suck. Truth is, they are just vastly different in terms of layout

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I just don't have the money, even though I'm living in Iowa City again. I went to the Pitt game and should be buying a ticket to the Minnesota game this week. But the home schedule this year was always sad, and I simply can't justify spending 65+ bucks for seven games when most of them aren't even interesting.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think most Iowa fans would agree that tailgating at ISU is pretty good. However, its the ISU fans that think since ISUs tailgating is good, Iowa's must suck. Truth is, they are just vastly different in terms of layout

This. ISU's layout is really well done and Iowa's sucks

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This. ISU's layout is really well done and Iowa's sucks

Both offer great tailgating. Very different. Trice is one massive scene, Historic Kinnick's is all kinds of different parties happening in different types of places. Just depends on which twirls your beanie.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Both offer great tailgating. Very different. Trice is one massive scene, Historic Kinnick's is all kinds of different parties happening in different types of places. Just depends on which twirls your beanie.

1. Iowa doesn't offer great tailgating anymore

2. This is why you're my favorite

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
What are their ticket prices? IF they are asking for more than 50 bucks for the next game, that would explain a lot of it. They should be doing what we do - 2 for 39 bucks. At least sell the game out and get some hotdog/pop sales.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
ISU tailgating is much better than Iowa. Period. No reasonable person would say otherwise and even Hawk fans admit tailgating has gone downhill in Iowa City lately

Oh cmon, undeniably better. Its different. You guys party in a field, we party in neighborhoods. Its different. The times ive heard ISU fans complain, its always the same- we had to walk a ways to get somewhere. Oh boo hoo, its not that bad. Ive tailgated plenty at ISU, and sometimes I had to walk a ways to get to where I was going.

Having said that, I will agree that Iowa's tailgating wasnt what it used to be, but its not that ​bad, and its not like ISU's is worlds better, either.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
A big ding against tailgating at Trice is that you have to go in and watch a football game eventually.

I'll agree with this.

Iowa has great wrestling and mediocre football while ISU has great basketball and fantastic tailgating. Both fan bases just need to accept it

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'll agree with this.

Iowa has great wrestling and mediocre football while ISU has great basketball and fantastic tailgating. Both fan bases just need to accept it

#7 = "great"
#12 = "mediocre"

You're letting that hatemonster get the better of you again. Pill time.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Oh cmon, undeniably better. Its different. You guys party in a field, we party in neighborhoods. Its different. The times ive heard ISU fans complain, its always the same- we had to walk a ways to get somewhere. Oh boo hoo, its not that bad. Ive tailgated plenty at ISU, and sometimes I had to walk a ways to get to where I was going.

Having said that, I will agree that Iowa's tailgating wasnt what it used to be, but its not that ​bad, and its not like ISU's is worlds better, either.

Depends what you consider "worlds better". ISU is a solid 9.5 out of 10 on the tailgating scale where Iowa is probably near the 3 or 4 out of 10 range now