Is Kinnick too big of a stadium for Iowa or do Iowa fans just really suck?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Both still very much exist. I park in the fieldhouse lot, actually a multi-story parking ramp, and then walk over to Olive Ct to actually tailgate.

I live in Iowa City, so when ISU has away games I get my tailgate fix in Iowa City. Is it better/worse than Ames? I'm going to choose Ames, but I can't remove my own bias. It's a different kind of tailgating. I've been to Ames, Iowa City, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, and Illinois. In my mind, Penn State is far and away the best, Ames is second. Iowa City is better than Maryland and Illinois. Sally Mason has done her part, but it's just plain different than what ISU fans are used to.

Nice. If you know people that live on those side streets off of Melrose there's good parties there too. Definitely completely different styles but both pretty fun. I haven't tailgated in Iowa City since they stiffened up the resistance though.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
ISU didn't put anything on Groupon
I saw Hawkeye Nation was making fun of ISU for this (despite the fact it didn't come from ISU). Do they not realize a couple years ago Iowa had a groupon for basketball games (actually from the school) that had tickets, pizza, and ice cream for $10? Pot meets kettle.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa tailgating sucks, plain and simple.

It's never been that good, but Mason ruined some of it and they've had to destroy numerous parking lots around the stadium to build their indoor practice facility and new football offices.

It is a horrible place for tailgating.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa tailgating has always been great because of the variety. If you want a big huge lot (like pretty much the entire Trice scene) you can hit Finkbine commuter or the lot directly outside of Kinnick to the west. If you want yard parties you've got everything up, down, and off of Melrose, Sunset, Melrose Heights, etc.. You have all the vendors on Melrose around the stadium. You have apartment lots close to the stadium and the private parties going on there. Walk around and there's a ton to do. Ames is nothing but big boring lots.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Iowa tailgating has always been great because of the variety. If you want a big huge lot (like pretty much the entire Trice scene) you can hit Finkbine commuter or the lot directly outside of Kinnick to the west. If you want yard parties you've got everything up, down, and off of Melrose, Sunset, Melrose Heights, etc.. You have all the vendors on Melrose around the stadium. You have apartment lots close to the stadium and the private parties going on there. Walk around and there's a ton to do. Ames is nothing but big boring lots.
You so funny, Finkbine sucks ballz.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Finkbine = Trice
Finkbine is awesome if you like to walk downhill, cross train tracks, walk up hill, wonder along a trail, pass empty RV lots, see the baseball field (maybe softball) and then finally you get to Historic Kinnick Stadium.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Finkbine is awesome if you like to walk downhill, cross train tracks, walk up hill, wonder along a trail, pass empty RV lots, see the baseball field (maybe softball) and then finally you get to Historic Kinnick Stadium.

Who cares? It's about the tailgate, not the walk to the stadium. Finkbine is exactly what pretty much the entire Trice tailgate scene is... big huge parking lots. If you're saying ISU's concrete is better than Iowa's concrete, I guess that's a discussion. Other than that, ISU has nothing other than big massive parking lots. Iowa has a much more diverse tailgate scene with all the different options. USA Today just ranked Iowa #6 in the nation for tailgating.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Who cares? It's about the tailgate, not the walk to the stadium. Finkbine is exactly what pretty much the entire Trice tailgate scene is... big huge parking lots. If you're saying ISU's concrete is better than Iowa's concrete, I guess that's a discussion. Other than that, ISU has nothing other than big massive parking lots. Iowa has a much more diverse tailgate scene with all the different options. USA Today just ranked Iowa #6 in the nation for tailgating.
Pretty sure that ranking is a online fan poll, A for effort though.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Them not selling out the stadium is all about the bandwagon. When there was no tickets to be had, it was the thing to do because everyone else was doing it. Now those fans that wanted tickets so bad then still have not been to a game even though there are plenty of tickets. Now that the stadium isn't sold out Iowa fans don't want to go because I guess the thing to do is not go to games. I think it is stupid. How often do you get to see a team do what this team is doing. They need to enjoy this. They need to go support the team. In 10 years there will be 70,000 Hawkeye fans that claim they saw this team in person yet most of them didn't.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
To answer the OP's question: NO, the stadium isn't big enough to hold that fanbase - their heads are so big and their chests are pumped out so far they warrant at least 3-4 stadiums to accommodate their arrogance. And, NO, their fans don't suck, they BLOWhard.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Peruse any Big 12 school message board the week before they play ISU, and you'll be guaranteed to see a thread where someone is singing the praises of the ISU tailgate scene.

Iowa tailgating is a spread out mess. It's a lot of fun if you know someone with a place to go, but it would suck to just show up there as a visiting fan.

I've been to 12 P5 schools for football games, and Iowa is in the upper quarter. The bottom line is that few people can party quite like Iowans, be they Cyclones or Hawkyes. Thing is, almost all of my Iowa buddies think Ames is a better tailgate scene. They love the idea of the gigantic, centralized party.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron