REFUTED: Travis Hines: A look into the ISU BBall program and the Athletic Dept

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
LOL.....is this a serious question? Yeah, there have been some former disgruntled employees who have given us big stories, and there have been just as many if not more that have come forward with stories that were complete b.s. To me, personally, I have a hard time really trusting a story when none of the sources are named, none will go on record with their comments being quoted, and the writer (and apparently many readers) just seem to accept what the writer presents as facts. Plus, the writer barely even attempts to present the other side of the story, or what information he did gather from the other side in his article.

For all anyone knows.......Hines could very easily have made up every single "source". Can you guarantee that he didn't? Like I said before, everything he wrote was based on hearsay.....with virtually no factual information. The whole damn story is written from an "I heard" perspective.

Maybe you and others are naive enough to just accept it even though it has been refuted by the two principal parties named in the story (although of course their side is never presented) and parts of it have now been proven to be incorrect, but I need a little more proof if I am going to believe this writer on this story, or anything else he writes from this point on.

In numbnuts' case, he isn't naive, just a squawk troll doing his usual thing.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't believe that.

Believe what you want, but to be adding to our facilities as we have been, we can't be out spending money like Rockefellers either. Maybe nickel and dime is a bad choice of words, but we certainly don't have the money flowing through our BBall program that Duke and Kentucky have.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
LOL.....is this a serious question? Yeah, there have been some former disgruntled employees who have given us big stories, and there have been just as many if not more that have come forward with stories that were complete b.s. To me, personally, I have a hard time really trusting a story when none of the sources are named, none will go on record with their comments being quoted, and the writer (and apparently many readers) just seem to accept what the writer presents as facts. Plus, the writer barely even attempts to present the other side of the story, or what information he did gather from the other side in his article.

For all anyone knows.......Hines could very easily have made up every single "source". Can you guarantee that he didn't? Like I said before, everything he wrote was based on hearsay.....with virtually no factual information. The whole damn story is written from an "I heard" perspective.

Maybe you and others are naive enough to just accept it even though it has been refuted by the two principal parties named in the story (although of course their side is never presented) and parts of it have now been proven to be incorrect, but I need a little more proof if I am going to believe this writer on this story, or anything else he writes from this point on.

People normally refute stories they do not like...it was a mistake.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
It's sensationalism and it's just a crappy article. It takes isolated incidents over YEARS, spins the facts by quoting opinions from sources, and somehow links them together as proof of this mega divide between the AD and the "program." Ultimately, reaching a conclusion set out to the reading public as a "well what if." All in all a fairly sophomoric attempt at some hard hitting story.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Just wanted to point out one thing that was NOT refuted and was corroborated by Keith Murphy and is lost because the same maroons ******** about the sensational headline are only focusing on the sensational headline:

Thats really a non-issue. Pollard said the new terms would rank him "near" the top 10 nationally. He was top 25, so Pollard exagerated a little bit.

Sure, he was 7th in the Big 12 in coaches salary, but every coach ahead of him had a better resume that Fred does.
Bill Self (yes), Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins, Lon Kruger, Bruce Webber, Tubby Smith and Scott Drew have all accomplished more than Fred has. Given time, I think Fred would out do them all, though.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Thats really a non-issue. Pollard said the new terms would rank him "near" the top 10 nationally. He was top 25, so Pollard exagerated a little bit.

Sure, he was 7th in the Big 12 in coaches salary, but every coach ahead of him had a better resume that Fred does.
Bill Self (yes), Rick Barnes, Bob Huggins, Lon Kruger, Bruce Webber, Tubby Smith and Scott Drew have all accomplished more than Fred has. Given time, I think Fred would out do them all, though.

Not many people would say that Rick Barnes, Huggins, Webber and Tubby Smith warrant higher salaries than Fred

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
People normally refute stories they do not like...it was a mistake.

why exactly is Jamie or Fred's word worth more than the sources of the story?

Thats not even considering the margin for error due to different interpretations of the same thing.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Exactly. We could have covered the tax just like Google does so no one ever sees it or gets a mysterious 1099 in the mail at tax time. This is exactly the point of all of this and when Hines made the point on the radio that the common theme was "nickel and diming" this is what he was talking about.

If that was exactly the point, why didn't Hines report "exactly" what happened?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
What was the summary that Travis was trying to get out there? JP is a cheap ***?

Here's the link to the board of regents budget release from August: http://www.scribd.com/doc/273349415/Iowa-Board-of-Regents-Budgets

We spent almost all of the money that we brought in. Where do you want the money to come from that Jamie is apparently holding back? The estimated FY'15 shows a surplus of ~$600,000 out of $62,000,000, so maybe Jamie should've spent that on the coaches family or had the basketball staff get a couple rooms for the guys that didn't want to swim.

Ultimately this whole thing is about the message that was put out there, and the reaction from that story. Travis does really good work, but for an article that was months or years in the making, he sure could've cleaned up the story.

Iowa State is a growing university and you have to believe that the marketing of the athletics played a role in that growth. We have a BB only practice facility for men and women. We have first class track facilities. We have built some suites, a football only practice facility, and did the unthinkable of bowling in the SEZ.

So I guess I will forgive JP for ******* off a couple people along the way.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Thats not even considering the margin for error due to different interpretations of the same thing.

Um, Fred's word is definitely worth more than an unnamed source about himself and his relationship with Pollard. He actually experience it. He's with the Bulls now. He took time out of training camp to call back and refute it. Pollard may be frugal and an arse, however Fred's word sealed the deal for me that the story was BS.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

Wow......Why is answered in your first sentence....we know what Jamie and Fred said because we heard it, and we know their names. We have absolutely no clue who were the so-called "sources". Is that really too difficult for you to understand, or are you just being your normal, deliberately obtuse self?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Another possibility for the cheap comments (hotels, trips, tickets). Maybe the coaches ******* about them and when they did Fred told them it was the ADs fault. Even though Fred knew about it and approved. Fred never wants to be the bad guy.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

Keith Murphy asked Jaime Pollard about this plainly. Jamie said the press releases from the AD side were never misleading in this regard, it was media reports using the "average salary" of the contract to rank coaches' salaries that were in turn misleading. Jamie also said he spoke with Fred about this when they gave him that extension and raise, that he should be prepared for more scrutiny from fans on that topic.

I think Murphy also asked Fred something along those lines, more about how JP framed 'increasing salaries' as the reason costs were going up for fans, and Fred blew it off as not that big of a deal.

Really it seems to me when you hear anything from Jamie or Fred about their interactions with each other, it rings out to be 100% opposite from what the Hines article alleges. I have always come away from conversations or interviews from our coaches and from JP that they have a great working relationship, personally and professionally and nothing gets held back when they work with each other.

Spam

May 21, 2008
What?

Based on their body of work they do. All have had more NCAA Tournament success than Fred did.

Salaries are not based on body of work alone! They're based on the market and likelihood of success. And even if we look at body of work -- guys like Barnes, Huggins, Weber and Tubby have shown they can win. But they've also shown they can't. There's a reason Fred gets the hot job offers, and the others do not.