Starting your own business

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
people actually go to those take and bake places? I have never once gotten food from one of those. Always struck me as the oddest choice. You have to go get it and you have to cook it. Why wouldn't I just do DiGiorno's then?

I agree, if I'm buying a pizza I'll spend another dollar for them to cook the damn thing and probably deliver it to me.

DiGiorno's is a bit overrated to me though. Just give me a good old fashioned Tombstone.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I guess we really shouldn't be questioning the concept since it looks like there are customers who like it.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Papa Murphy's in Pella just closed if you're looking for a move . . .

I think I would rather work in a cubicle than manage a papa murphy's. Just me though.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
shrugs, easy enough to add toppings to a frozen pizza or bring home a hot pizza. Otherwise I'll just do homemade at home. Just never looked desirable to me.

In any case, looking for affirmation here doesn't solve the issue of the spouse not being on board. Maybe OP has had ideas like this before and lost interest, maybe she doesn't think the partner relationship will work - there are a lot of valid concerns she could have. I'd be figuring out what those reasons are and what she needs to see happen for her to be on board. Or what alternative ideas she would be more interested in/supportive of.

I agree, if I'm buying a pizza I'll spend another dollar for them to cook the damn thing and probably deliver it to me.

DiGiorno's is a bit overrated to me though. Just give me a good old fashioned Tombstone.

I hate to be that guy, but I was always in the same boat as you and thought the concept sounded really dumb. I think you should give Papa Murphy's a try once. Obviously they have value or they wouldnt be all over the f'n place.

and comparing them to any big chain for "$1 to cook it for you" is insane, it's way better quality, at a better price, you just have to wait (my god wait for it) 12 minutes in your own oven. Less time than a ****** frozen pizza you get from the supermarket with better taste than you get from chain places (whose delivery time I might add is longer than it takes to cook Papa Murphy's).

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This is a neat part of the Wiki for Papa Murphy's
Well aware of the legal proceedings. They were very up front about it. It was started by a disgruntled prospective franchisee who PM's declined to do business with. About half the existing franchisees he got to sign onto the suit with him have since dropped out.

people actually go to those take and bake places? I have never once gotten food from one of those. Always struck me as the oddest choice. You have to go get it and you have to cook it. Why wouldn't I just do DiGiorno's then?
Multiple awards as nation's top pizza chain, including three times by Zagat's.

Also one of the last to use fresh ingredients.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Appreciate everyone who tried to be constructive and helpful. I guess I feel like the thread has devolved into me having to defend myself so I'm going to bow out. Thanks.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I'm considering buying a well-known franchise in a very high-growth town that currently doesn't have one. Realistic scenario is I'd be taking about a 35% pay cut to start out but with the potential to build it into something fantastic.

We are debt-free and able to absorb the down-payment without issue. I'm willing to take a pay cut for the opportunity to pursue my dream of being my own boss. My wife is dead-set against it and has been from the start. I'm telling her sometimes you have to take risks in life to reach your dreams and now is the time for me to do that. She has a well-paying job, is the breadwinner and could provide the benefits.

Tell me your stories, CF entrepreneurs. Was it everything you thought it would be? Would you do it again?

**chick fil a.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chick-fil-A is the best, but when I looked into franchising, they don't do it. They just hire people to manage locations. Has that changed?

The Chick-fil-A franchise opportunity represents an exceptional offering in the quick-service restaurant industry. For an initial financial commitment of $10,000 for franchise agreements with an effective date after December 31, 2014, selected franchisees (who we call Operators) are granted the rights necessary to operate a franchised Chick-fil-A Restaurant business. Effective January 1, 2015, each franchised Operator will have the option to transfer his/her rights and interests under the franchise agreement to a business entity formed and organized by the franchised Operator for the purpose of owning and operating his/her franchised Chick-fil-A restaurant business. The Chick-fil-A franchise opportunity requires that the individual be free of any other active business ventures and operate the Restaurant on a full-time, hands-on basis.
Chick-fil-A Operators must successfully complete an extensive, multi-week training program prior to commencing operation of a franchised Chick-fil-A Restaurant business. With additional development courses and franchise support available, Chick-fil-A Operators are equipped to handle decisions and reap the rewards of a challenging business.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Chick-fil-A is the best, but when I looked into franchising, they don't do it. They just hire people to manage locations. Has that changed?
I see some comments below. Secondly, I would look at (or rather support someone younger) at Outback. It is a different setup, but still a great opportunity..Great in that they have limited hours of operation.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The Chick-fil-A franchise opportunity represents an exceptional offering in the quick-service restaurant industry. For an initial financial commitment of $10,000 for franchise agreements with an effective date after December 31, 2014, selected franchisees (who we call Operators) are granted the rights necessary to operate a franchised Chick-fil-A Restaurant business. Effective January 1, 2015, each franchised Operator will have the option to transfer his/her rights and interests under the franchise agreement to a business entity formed and organized by the franchised Operator for the purpose of owning and operating his/her franchised Chick-fil-A restaurant business. The Chick-fil-A franchise opportunity requires that the individual be free of any other active business ventures and operate the Restaurant on a full-time, hands-on basis.
Chick-fil-A Operators must successfully complete an extensive, multi-week training program prior to commencing operation of a franchised Chick-fil-A Restaurant business. With additional development courses and franchise support available, Chick-fil-A Operators are equipped to handle decisions and reap the rewards of a challenging business.

That's legitimately interesting.
Now, wouldn't Los Pollos Hermanos be a lot cheaper at this point?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
That's legitimately interesting.
Now, wouldn't Los Pollos Hermanos be a lot cheaper at this point?

Watch this commercial and tell me you don't want some of that chicken:

[video=youtube;5HUonlT5BqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUonlT5BqU[/video]

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Food operations look to be franchise naturals, but in our case we save a ton of money on franchise fees with our independent pet supply store in Ankeny.

Franchise fees both initial and continuing would have been a very large burden.

Typically it doesn't cost anything or there is very minimal cost when doing some initial consultation with a franchise. It'd probably be worth your time and effort to at least take a few steps with the company to see if they think you'd be a good fit etc.. They may bring up a few things you haven't thought of and may (or may not) help to calm the fears of your wife.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I bought a franchise 5+ years ago. I took a very large paycut. It was difficult and an adjustment for the first 3.5 years. Things are going well now. Realize the the franchisor cannot divulge what other franchises make - however, you can ask for names and numbers and contact other people that started the same franchise and they can tell you whatever you want financially, pros cons, etc. I HIGHLY recommend you do that. I'd also research, and the information is out there, how the franchisor rates with it's franchisees. There are all kind of ratings by category of business. You must know what kind of support system they have in place. Make sure you get an understanding of profit and loss expectations and the time frame of that. When will you make money? Growth expectations? Etc.

The best part is being your own boss. You get what you put into it without question. I will say it's not without some stress.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I didn't see if the OP every answered but here would be my thoughts -

Is he going to actually work in the place or just be the owner and hire people to do the work? If he is going to work in the place, then he will be giving up a lot of time vs. just being the owner.

Does he and partner have the capital to pay employees during training when the business is not open, and during the first several months/year when the business is may not be doing enough business to meet payroll?

Does he have the financial resources to buy out his partner if the partner decides he wants out of the business if circumstances change?

It sounds to me like the wife is worried about the financial responsibility and how it will impact the family. If the OP is serious, he should try living on the new salary he will be making. What are the impacts to his family? If there impacts are minimal, she will see they can do it and may be more willing to get on board. However, if the lifestyle she is used to living has a drastic change, she is not going to go for the idea.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I own my own biz and am proud that I took the plunge no corporate bull shirt, but it does fall on you and there is a delicate balance of sanity and insanity and what I mean is it running your life, but its awesome to be an owner so follow your dreams fellow Cyclone.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I didn't read the whole thing, so it may have been said, and it could be different everywhere, but if it's a franchise, you're not going to be your own boss. You may not have to report directly to someone every day, but there will still be someone over you making sure you're holding your store up to standards, spending so much on marketing, etc. And you'll pay for them to do that.

Depending on your level of having someone hovering over you at your current job, it could be a godsend, but you will have a boss.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron