UNI WBB Non-Con Schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Since Tanya took over:

69-41
79-54
76-51
69-59
84-57
67-59
83-55

0-7 with 5 losses by 25+.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Too bad for them, but it reminds me of how ISU scheduled (see article on Bill) when it came to Iowa in the pre-Bill days. If you can't compete drop 'em.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Tanya greatly dislikes real competition. She had a chance to make her program the best in the Valley with the wealth of talent Tony D left her and her recruiting ties, but she takes the easy way out. Recruits small town Iowa kids with no other offers and repeatedly refuses to take buy games or enter tournaments with higher competition levels.

She will never be fired at UNI, she knows it, and is thrilled to finish 3-5th every year in the Valley. Her reputation is out there too. She should have been able to get a better job after her two NCAA appearances, but everybody knows she has no drive or desire and greatly despises actual work to make a program better.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Tanya greatly dislikes real competition. She had a chance to make her program the best in the Valley with the wealth of talent Tony D left her and her recruiting ties, but she takes the easy way out. Recruits small town Iowa kids with no other offers and repeatedly refuses to take buy games or enter tournaments with higher competition levels.

She will never be fired at UNI, she knows it, and is thrilled to finish 3-5th every year in the Valley. Her reputation is out there too. She should have been able to get a better job after her two NCAA appearances, but everybody knows she has no drive or desire and greatly despises actual work to make a program better.

Wasn't she just named Coach of the Year in the Valley. You don't get that for just setting on your hands and singing Cher songs. She took a very young team and turned them into a top five Valley squad. About recruiting Iowa kids, they recruit kids with upside and then develop it. The Valley isn't the Big 12 and thus we should not expect UNI to compete with the Cyclones. Lastly, how do you know that it was UNI that didn't want to play the Cyclones, maybe it was the other way around.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Fennelly has always talked about how important to him it is to play all three in-state D-1 programs. So I would be very surprised if this decision was even remotely considered by Iowa State.

I do find it interesting that UNI plays at Iowa this year, as per usual. Iowa State would have made a trip to Cedar Falls. It's all fine by me. I'd rather play all the in-state schools every year, but we can always get some other directional university to play.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm with Buster on this one. Why would you play a very talented and loaded Iowa squad and not ISU? Is it because UNI is Iowa-lite? (yes, that was a bad joke).

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Not that I want to squelch all the fun speculation, but it's possible it could be as simple as not finding a date that worked for both schools.

That said the scheduling of Dartmouth at UNI on Sat. Dec. 13 for the first time looks a little odd. Sometimes ISU has played UNI right before or after finals week.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Buster is 100% right. If you know Bill he is all about playing all the in state schools.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Both UNI and ISU will be competing in the Cancun Challenge (in different tournament 'divisions') just days before matching up in Cedar Falls. Will be a good opportunity for both coaches to scout the other team.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Both UNI and ISU will be competing in the Cancun Challenge (in different tournament 'divisions') just days before matching up in Cedar Falls. Will be a good opportunity for both coaches to scout the other team.

Maybe this deserves it own thread later, but is anyone going to the Cancun tourney around Thanksgiving?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe this deserves it own thread later, but is anyone going to the Cancun tourney around Thanksgiving?

Was thinking about it but airfare from Mpls that time of year is $$$$. Only one non-stop and it's over $1200 and anything cheaper is a million hours to get there or a 5 am flight. Did see i could grab a nice lockoff at my fav resort (easy walky from the Hard Rock)for less than $600 but that airfare tho. :(

The Saturday game doesn't help if you are looking to rent someones timeshare as most are a Sat-Sat week.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

I so want to go. I listen to the Elvis Duran morning show and they did their show from the Riviera Maya and it looks amazing.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I so want to go. I listen to the Elvis Duran morning show and they did their show from the Riviera Maya and it looks amazing.

I wish it was more affordable so more fans could make the trip. As it is, we're spending a small fortune to go and flying a weird route to make it happen (that saved a chunk of change, so comes out on the 'worth it' side of things). The resort is all-inclusive, so all food, transportation, gratuities, booze, everything is covered in the price. I figure I'll have to gain about 30 pounds in five days to get my money's worth!