*** ASST. COACH SEARCH THREAD: Wed, June 10th ***

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Now that he has made the commitment to stay (at least this year), I could see him staying till he gets a head coaching job. That could be as soon as next year if we have the year we are hoping to.

Agree, though it could be TJ won't find the right HC opportunity for 2-3 years and stay in Ames too. Even if TJ does end up leaving next year Prohm will have gotten TJ local recruiting contacts and assuming it'll happen earlier than June CSP will have a larger pool of Assistant Coaches to better replace him. In the end TJ staying at this point is the best for him and ISU.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm a bit surprised Otz ended up staying, but I love it. That's a great staff, especially the Non-recruiting positions.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Does anyone know who Robinson has recruiting over the course of his career. I see that he was responsible for Colvin and Dendy, is there anyone else?

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Me too. Just the mere fact that they interviewed for the HC spot and are on the same staff has to be a little awkward for both I would think. I really feel for Corn. I think Coach Mann was a good coach, and an ever better person.

I'm a bit surprised Otz ended up staying, but I love it. That's a great staff, especially the Non-recruiting positions.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Didn't Gilstrap kind of recruit himself? Kantrell Horton was his mentor who told him to come here.

That's how much of this business works. Roy Marble Sr. turned Morris on to us after Iowa didn't show a lot of interest due to having Gessell.

We were in on Bridges due to Grayer and Morris.

Either way, Robinson didn't screw up when handed a gift at the very least.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Very excited for this staff, but sad to see Coach Mann go. I wish the best for him.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
With the recruiting blemish aside from Robinson's past, I do think the guy gets after it on the recruiting trail. If I recall correctly, Lefty Moore did most of the recruiting improprieties. Robinson had his fingers in the pie as well.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Very excited for this staff, but sad to see Coach Mann go. I wish the best for him.

Seemed like a really nice guy. Wish him well.

Hard to say if he would have been more successful in recruiting if Fred didn't have on foot out of college on his way to the NBA since year 2.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Me too. Just the mere fact that they interviewed for the HC spot and are on the same staff has to be a little awkward for both I would think. I really feel for Corn. I think Coach Mann was a good coach, and an ever better person.

People who know each other apply for the same position often. Working together after someone gets the job is what being an adult is about.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
People who know each other apply for the same position often. Working together after someone gets the job is what being an adult is about.

I would think any job where there is regular management turnover this would happen extremely frequently.