*** ASST. COACH SEARCH THREAD: Wed, June 10th ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Someone had to do it since CW retired "for a long time."

- With Murray State hiring former assistant coach Matt McMahon today, it looks like this may come to fruition.

Chris Williams@ChrisMWilliams Jun 8
Looking around, I’m assuming this guy (William Small) will join Prohm on staff at ISU. http://www.goracers.com/news/2011/5/25/MBB_0525112937.aspx …
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ad-coach-matt-mcmahon-replacement-steve-prohm

- According to CF poster LawyerClone (sorry I don't have sources), Prohm has reached out to Isaac Chew (from Chicago) who is currently an assistant with Buzz Williams at VTech. Remember when we were losing all those recruits to Marquette?
Named by Fox Sports as one of the top assistant coaches in the nation, Chew maintains invaluable connections to athletes throughout the country. Joining forces with Buzz Williams in May of 2012, Coach Chew is exceedingly proud of the accolades received by the 2012-2013 BIG EAST Conference Champions at Marquette and worked diligently to recruit the sixth nationally ranked class in 2013.
Profile: http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/chew_isaac.html

- Tim Fuller has received some mention, but was previously making $325,000 a year at Missouri before they bought him out of the second year of his contract. With Chew currently making around $260,000, it seems unlikely that both would be on staff. Looking at his bio, I'm not sure he would have the midwestern ties that we are looking for being from Virginia and going to school at Wake Forest.
Profile: http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tim_fuller_751029.html

- TJ and Cornell have not been eliminated as possibilities. As for Henry, it is assumed (haven't been able to find confirmation) that he will be following Fred to the Bulls.

When specifically asked whether ISU assistant coach Charlie Henry would follow Hoiberg to Chicago, Hoiberg responded: “I’m still evaluating everything with the staff.â€￾

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
In terms of assistants, whatever buys us recruits for 2016 we need to spend.

Could not agree more. It takes a serious investment to succeed in college athletics.

Prohm is in the bottom 3 of B12 coaching salaries. We need to give him the tools in place to hire the right staff. We have a lot of holes to fill and it will be very costly if we can't fill them.

We are saving roughly $900k from where Fred was set to make. Roll a third of that into increasing the assistant coach budgets and you will get recruiting results.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Give me that Chew guy. He seems to get things done on the recruiting trail.

greatshu

Dec 4, 2007
KS
My guess is TJ stays, Mann goes somewhere south, Charlie goes to Bulls and we add two newbies.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I was guessing either Mann or Otz would stay based based on interviews and compatibility. Who will get along. Then fill in two new. That or, keep Otz for part of a year. A transition guy.

And wouldn't be afraid of multiple recruiters. Just have each specialize different regions or conferences.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
So is Fred waiting for Henry to be "fired" so he can get his buyout from ISU before hiring him? There's no question that Henry is following him to Chicago.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
So is Fred waiting for Henry to be "fired" so he can get his buyout from ISU before hiring him? There's no question that Henry is following him to Chicago.

If so that is pretty shady. Well known he is going with to the Bulls.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Don't assistant coaches get 1 year contracts? And Henry became assistant coach in June 2014...

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, Otzelberger signed a contract this spring for $230,000. Cornell Mann is paid a bit more. I believe it is $240,000.

I know Otzelberger is under contract for next year. Not sure about Mann.

I would assume that our assistants would be paid similar pay. Mann had been here for 4 years in a row. Otzelberger had been here for many years and then left for 2 years before coming back.

I would estimate that the assistants get paid in about that range.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Good info, NateizKing, thanks for the effort. I doubt anything shady is behind leaving assistants in place - camps going on, players reframing mindsets. CSP got the offer Sunday night - looks like things are moving quickly. Small looks like a good selection - CSP's friend and rep as a teaching coach. Odd how Tim Floyd keeps popping up in this narrative.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Good info, NateizKing, thanks for the effort. I doubt anything shady is behind leaving assistants in place - camps going on, players reframing mindsets. CSP got the offer Sunday night - looks like things are moving quickly. Small looks like a good selection - CSP's friend and rep as a teaching coach. Odd how Tim Floyd keeps popping up in this narrative.
It speaks to how small the college basketball coaching community is and how every coach selection has long-term impact on the program. that's why it's important to have selections with a broad sphere of influence and a genuine joy for developing others.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Isaac Chew spent a season at Indian Hills. Between that and his time at Murray State, he seems like a good fit, if he is interested.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
Isaac Chew spent a season at Indian Hills. Between that and his time at Murray State, he seems like a good fit, if he is interested.

He would be a great fit for sure. Concern I have is he is interviewing for HC jobs already will he want to make another jump or just stay there for another year?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Someone had to do it since CW retired "for a long time."

- With Murray State hiring former assistant coach Matt McMahon today, it looks like this may come to fruition.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ad-coach-matt-mcmahon-replacement-steve-prohm

- According to CF poster LawyerClone (sorry I don't have sources), Prohm has reached out to Isaac Chew (from Chicago) who is currently an assistant with Buzz Williams at VTech. Remember when we were losing all those recruits to Marquette?

Profile: http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/chew_isaac.html

- Tim Fuller has received some mention, but was previously making $325,000 a year at Missouri before they bought him out of the second year of his contract. With Chew currently making around $260,000, it seems unlikely that both would be on staff. Looking at his bio, I'm not sure he would have the midwestern ties that we are looking for being from Virginia and going to school at Wake Forest.
Profile: http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tim_fuller_751029.html

- TJ and Cornell have not been eliminated as possibilities. As for Henry, it is assumed (haven't been able to find confirmation) that he will be following Fred to the Bulls.

I like the idea that we could get our Marquette guys before they do their vacation year there.