Bothers me the most

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
A) they don't move around all the time

B) people do pitch a fit about it

Ask anyone who works in academia...

Yeah, wtf is Tork talking about? In my program if you left it was because you weren't getting tenure at ISU and you weren't going to be missed. I guess UI is a revolving door of hack professors...

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
That's what is irking me as well.

Bothers me most is that Fred is like about every other coach we've had, and used ISU as a stepping stone. All this talk about the love for Ames and ISU comes off as little more than PR banter now. In the end, all it is is a guy with no experience getting a shot at pretty much the only place that would give him one , had decent success and cashed his chips in and moved on down the road.

I think what actually bothers me most is that I felt with Fred, we may actually have a shot at another Johnny-type legacy at ISU. Or coach K or Izzo - longevity. If we can't get Fred to stay for more than a 5 year tour and not jump to greener pastures.... who will?

Johnny was 53 when he took the ISU job, and was 57-58 before we first got any post-season play. Fred was only 38-39 when he got us back into the NCAAs. And the longest of the longevity coaches, Coach K, Izzo and Bob Knight, all started very young (younger than Fred) and had a combined 0 years of NBA experience. Compare that to most of the great NBA coaches, who were almost all NBA players for several years before getting into coaching. And remember why Johnny came here in the first place - $$$$. He heard what we were going to pay one of his assistants and decided he'd rather make that salary because he wasn't getting it at Michigan, even though he'd been very successful there.

Hell, it seems like you could argue that Fred WAS like Johnny, except that now we're playing Michigan's role and the Bulls are playing ours...

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Johnny was 53 when he took the ISU job, and was 57-58 before we first got any post-season play. Fred was only 38-39 when he got us back into the NCAAs. And the longest of the longevity coaches, Coach K, Izzo and Bob Knight, all started very young (younger than Fred) and had a combined 0 years of NBA experience. Compare that to most of the great NBA coaches, who were almost all NBA players for several years before getting into coaching. And remember why Johnny came here in the first place - $$$$. He heard what we were going to pay one of his assistants and decided he'd rather make that salary because he wasn't getting it at Michigan, even though he'd been very successful there.

Hell, it seems like you could argue that Fred WAS like Johnny, except that now we're playing Michigan's role and the Bulls are playing ours...

Johnny was here for 14 years and retired a Cyclone. It was really that simple a point. That we would have a long term coach.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Disappointed about how this whole thing has hurt recruiting the past few years. If Fred would have been committed to ISU CD may be on his way to campus. We may be set next year but after that the cupboard is bare.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
What bothers me most is when people say he doesn't owe anything to ISU or the fans.

He would still be an assistant somewhere if Jamie hadn't taken a chance on him. The "love affair" with the fans is a big reason he was written about so much. The atmosphere (fans) are what brought all the prime time games to Hilton and a big reason they were unbeatable at home.

He did his part by winning. But without ISU and the fans none of that would have been possible. I'm not saying he needed to stay here his entire career. He just needed to accomplish ONE of the team goals before moving onto his own.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Disappointed about how this whole thing has hurt recruiting the past few years. If Fred would have been committed to ISU CD may be on his way to campus. We may be set next year but after that the cupboard is bare.

Ya I'd hate to see that MT, MM, DB, HC axis it would get torn apart. The cupboard is only bare if you assume MM leaves early, which I haven't really seen anyone mention as a done deal. He played pretty well last year and still wasn't cracking any big boards.

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014
I said it elsewhere, but he talked with NBA teams last year so yes he was looking for that opportunity. Knew he needed surgery again this year and had a really good team. Probably thought he could put a bow on this year with a deep run. No turning back after UAB but definitely NOT how he wanted to leave.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
This will sound really weird but I feel really bad for Fred. I was sitting there last night thinking about Izzo and K and that Fred is missing out on a Coach K legacy. Statues, buildings named Hoiberg...god status...Bear Bryant status.

Legacy is what it's about, not challenge, not money...

I've told myself time and time again he's making a mistake. How can he not understand he's as unfireable as Coach K already. All the things you mention. Family in Ames, grew up there. He'll win 700 more games. Potentially coaching his own kids. He's making a mistake! But you know what I've come to realize over the past week. This narrative of Fred being at Iowa State for 35 years, Final Fours, titles - that was my storybook tale of how it would happen. Not his. He was happy to be in Ames but he wanted to be an NBA coach. Always has. The Bulls job came open. Storybook closed.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
That always bothered me the most with Sanderson, because we were willing to pay him, and our history of success was better than Penn St. It still makes me mad.

It was gut wrenching to lose Cael as he was lifting the program, but I'm sure he looked at the commitment to wrestling at Iowa and then at Penn State, and may not have felt he was getting the same commitment here. There may have been other reasons only Cael knows, but I don't know any other reason why he would have left. Penn State made the commitment and they got our legend and the national championships.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What bothers me the most is the way we heard about all of this and how long it took. I am not sure how I could have expected different in this day and age. I knew Fred was going to go the NBA at some point, I guess I just expected it to be a cleaner and more transparent break instead of this cloak and dagger method he has put us through. I am starting to think this was starting to go down last season and may be one of the reasons our players were quitting on him.

Quitting on him? Like that Big 12 tournament win?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What bothers me most is something that Fred said a few years back about a piece of advice he received from another coach (I forget whom) - "Don't mess with happy."

I totally get that coaching in the NBA is his dream, and after two heart surgeries in as many years his outlook on life has probably changed, maybe perhaps this is his last shot at coaching in the NBA if that's what doctors are advising him. I just can't help but think that he's messed with happy. The Bulls are an overrated team Thibodeau milked everything from (with great resentment) because they're not that great of a team, and the front office is notorious to chewing up and spitting out coaches that don't get it done, a lot of times in unrealistic time frames. Not to mention this is a fan base that is still 100% blinded by Jordan's shadow, ironically someone that wants to have nothing to do with the Bulls because of the ownership group.

Like I said, he has always wanted to coach in the NBA, and the Bulls are probably his dream team, but I can't help but think this whole thing is just a gigantic piece of cheese sitting on top of a mousetrap just waiting to kill or maim his coaching career.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Do the professors (especially if alums) come in with zero experience, tell their school and studients that they have their dream job, dream location being by family and wanting to raise them in that environment, and list goals they want to accomplish following by bolting soon afterwards?

Sometimes. It's not altogether uncommon in a really tight job market. You pretty much have to present the job you're applying for as your dream job and/or dream location.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
What bothers me most is something that Fred said a few years back about a piece of advice he received from another coach (I forget whom) - "Don't mess with happy."

I totally get that coaching in the NBA is his dream, and after two heart surgeries in as many years his outlook on life has probably changed, maybe perhaps this is his last shot at coaching in the NBA if that's what doctors are advising him. I just can't help but think that he's messed with happy. The Bulls are an overrated team Thibodeau milked everything from (with great resentment) because they're not that great of a team, and the front office is notorious to chewing up and spitting out coaches that don't get it done, a lot of times in unrealistic time frames. Not to mention this is a fan base that is still 100% blinded by Jordan's shadow, ironically someone that wants to have nothing to do with the Bulls because of the ownership group.

Like I said, he has always wanted to coach in the NBA, and the Bulls are probably his dream team, but I can't help but think this whole thing is just a gigantic piece of cheese sitting on top of a mousetrap just waiting to kill or maim his coaching career.

You make good points but I hope your wrong on his success with the Bulls, as his success there could only help ISU in publicity and recruiting.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
I have no hard feelings toward the Mayor and trust that this move is what is best for his career and his family and I just became a huge Chicago Bulls fan...

But having grown up die-hard Iowa State fan I am struggling to get over that Fred was ok with leaving with his last game as a head coach for ISU being a loss to 14-seed UAB. Does this really bother anyone else? I feel like being such an intense competitor that he is, that loss would really motivate him to come back and finish the job he started and reach a final four/NC. I understand that at this point the timing is right for him but I wonder if that will bother him as well or if it was in his thought process a little bit.

What bothers me most - is I had a dog named Hoiberg! I had to go buy him a new collar and officially change his name to Baxter.

isu83

May 5, 2010
What bothers me the most is ISU didn't offer him 5 million per year. Than we can talk about Coach K esqu. I'd of done the same. It's just how this all works. Maybe it could've been handled better. But it wasnt. Move on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron