Bothers me the most

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Have you thought about whether he was contacted by the Magic and Pelicans and he just said he would listen to what they have to say? I don't think anyone said he contacted them about the job. If someone cantacted me about a job I'd probably at least listen.

Getting and having interest from at least 5 NBA teams in the past year is why Fred is getting 5 million per and hornacek and other new coaches only 2. If the bulls were Fred's only nba option he wouldn't be getting a raise over his ISU salary.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
What bothers me most is that in five years, I didn't attend in-person any Hoiberg-coached teams. Too much life got in the way. :mad:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
what bothers me most is the frequent use of the term stepping stone. All graduates have used ISU as a stepping stone...

Graduates pay Iowa State to acquire skills to get them a job somewhere. Coaches are paid by Iowa State to perform a job. Seems like a huge difference.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
What bothers me the most are all of the unanswered questions...

-Did Fred lie to Matt Thomas about coming back next year, while telling Diallo the opposite?

-Was there a "gentlemen's agreement" in place, and when did they reach it?

It doesn't bother me because I'd considered Hoiberg some infallible saint, but because of its effect on recruiting and the future of the program. It's sad that it had to drag out so long.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Hard to pinpoint what bothers me most. I guess having that UAB loss as my final memory of Hoiball might actually help me get over the heartbreak. We have to set our sights higher than that at least.

The fact that he was willing to take any NBA job apparently if he is interviewing with the flipping Orlando Magic was disheartening. The Pelicans on the other hand is a better job that the Bulls. The fact he went to GarPax really makes me sick. Those two truly turn my stomach.

But I guess the topper for me is the thought that Matt Thomas was getting a totally different version of his plans than Diallo was. I can't get past that disappointment. And that truly bothers me the most.
My main issue as well. Really unfortunate to lie to a young student athlete like that who committed to his team.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
What bothers me most is that it all recent evidence makes it appear he was checked out/bags packed for a long time now, to the detriment of the program.

But then I remember that Diallo wouldn't have had any interest here without Fred in the first place, so we weren't getting him either way.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
What bothers me most is that it all recent evidence makes it appear he was checked out/bags packed for a long time now, to the detriment of the program.

But then I remember that Diallo wouldn't have had any interest here without Fred in the first place, so we weren't getting him either way.

I don't think you can look at it that way. We may have been (probably were) a longshot without Fred, but maybe Diallo would have kept us under consideration if he knew something about the future of the program rather than getting a "well, I just don't know" from Hoiberg. Not to mention that our pursuit of Diallo could have dissuaded other recruits/transfers from considering us, if they thought Diallo might land here and keep them from getting playing time.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
i love what I do, but I work 80-100 hours per week not because I love it but because I want to be done working entirely as soon as financially possible.

so, while I love my job, I love fishing, watching sports, and sitting on my *** more.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What bothers me most is that he showed interest in the Magic and Pelican jobs.....SMH!

That dude wanted out of here.

The Pelicans are a team quickly on the rise. Anthony Davis is a monster who hasn't even begun to hit his prime yet. That'd be a great NBA gig to land. The Magic talk sounded like it was hardly even half-hearted interest.

That always bothered me the most with Sanderson, because we were willing to pay him, and our history of success was better than Penn St. It still makes me mad.

Pennsylvania has a deeper pool of prep wrestling talent, though. A name like Sanderson's at Penn State would (and has) created a funnel that brings those kids to Happy Valley in droves. No state is more rabid about wrestling than Iowa, and we've still got good wrestlers here. But out east is where more of the elite recruits are right now, and Sanderson is better positioned now to land more of them.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
What bothers me most is that he showed interest in the Magic and Pelican jobs.....SMH!

Agreed. That's been by far the worst of it for me. I guess the Pelicans have Davis so they have a great building block in place....but the freaking Magic??????

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Graduates pay Iowa State to acquire skills to get them a job somewhere. Coaches are paid by Iowa State to perform a job. Seems like a huge difference.

How about professors? They move around all the time, too, but nobody pitches a fit about it. They accept it as par for the course.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
i love what I do, but I work 80-100 hours per week not because I love it but because I want to be done working entirely as soon as financially possible.

so, while I love my job, I love fishing, watching sports, and sitting on my *** more.

How do you find the time to get to every Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State game? You are my hero.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
This is what bothers me the most:

His time in Ames was like losing your virginity....When it first started happening you weren't too sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but hell, it's worth a shot. Once you got things going, you realized that it was a fantastic thing and you wanted it to last forever. But before you knew it, ****, it was all over and you think to yourself, "Wow, that was it!?!?"

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
How about professors? They move around all the time, too, but nobody pitches a fit about it. They accept it as par for the course.

Do the professors (especially if alums) come in with zero experience, tell their school and studients that they have their dream job, dream location being by family and wanting to raise them in that environment, and list goals they want to accomplish following by bolting soon afterwards?

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
How do you find the time to get to every Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State game? You are my hero.

This is obvious with the speed at which you reply to my comments.

SE consulting is a great gig although theres a lot of pressure.

also, you forgot Northern Iowa.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
A) they don't move around all the time

B) people do pitch a fit about it

Ask anyone who works in academia...

Find a professor with tenure (I'd suggest that's effectively what Fred had here). You can't get them to move with the threat of C4