Bothers me the most

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I'm sure it bothers him too...but when opportunity knocks at your door in the form of $25 mil...and it's in a league you want to coach in...you take it.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I assume that he interviewed with the Pelicans and Orlando just to get as much from the Bulls from as he could. Basically, if the Bulls knew they had him, than why not pay him as little as possible because he's not going anywhere else. Hoiberg was just keeping them honest. This is just my opinion. I don't think he wanted to 'get the hell out of here.'

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
What bothers me most is that guys like Hoiberg, Sanderson and Gable, our golden boys, used ISU as a stepping stone job. It happens, I know. Just wish a coach who has a little success here would want to stay here ... not use us. I guess McCarney fit that mold, but he was fired.

How did Gable use ISU as a stepping stone? When was he head coach?

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
What bothers me most... is I recently bought a Hoiball shirt for the upcoming basketball season.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
What bothers me the most is the way we heard about all of this and how long it took. I am not sure how I could have expected different in this day and age. I knew Fred was going to go the NBA at some point, I guess I just expected it to be a cleaner and more transparent break instead of this cloak and dagger method he has put us through. I am starting to think this was starting to go down last season and may be one of the reasons our players were quitting on him.

wcbsas

Apr 26, 2010
What bothers me most is that guys like Hoiberg, Sanderson and Gable, our golden boys, used ISU as a stepping stone job. It happens, I know. Just wish a coach who has a little success here would want to stay here ... not use us. I guess McCarney fit that mold, but he was fired.
Seriously ... the Chicago Bulls ... of the NBA ... just called you up and said I want you to coach this team and you think that most rationale people would not be hard pressed to strongly consider that opportunity?

Iowa State is a great place, but it is NOT a top 20 collegiate destination.
Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment.

I'm sure many of us including the Hoiberg's could have envisioned him in Ames Iowa for life and still consider it a chance of a lifetime but when life brings opportunities you have to consider them. Especially if that opportunity is a lifetime goal of yours.

He's not leaving I-State for Nebraska or K-State or Iowa ... he's leaving it for the NBA. For the Chicago Bulls, a pre-eminent franchise of that league.

Nov 11, 2011
what bothers me most is the frequent use of the term stepping stone. All graduates have used ISU as a stepping stone...

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't see how anyone could blame Sanderson for leaving. Even while wrestling is dying all around the country, Penn State built a state of the art wrestling facility. He uses it to train wrestlers for international competition also. I don't think Lied had the same appeal, and JP was not going to spend millions on wrestling.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
What bothers me most... is I recently bought a Hoiball shirt for the upcoming basketball season.

I almost did that at Hilton Madness but was too much of a tightwad. I feel for you. Wonder what they do with the ones still in the store, send them to disadvantaged people somewhere?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
what bothers me most is the frequent use of the term stepping stone. All graduates have used ISU as a stepping stone...

When I was at ISU, my time there wasn't an employment or guarantee of future employment as long as I wanted.

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
Seriously ... the Chicago Bulls ... of the NBA ... just called you up and said I want you to coach this team and you think that most rationale people would not be hard pressed to strongly consider that opportunity?

Iowa State is a great place, but it is NOT a top 20 collegiate destination.
Take off the rose-colored glasses for a moment.

I'm sure many of us including the Hoiberg's could have envisioned him in Ames Iowa for life and still consider it a chance of a lifetime but when life brings opportunities you have to consider them. Especially if that opportunity is a lifetime goal of yours.

He's not leaving I-State for Nebraska or K-State or Iowa ... he's leaving it for the NBA. For the Chicago Bulls, a pre-eminent franchise of that league.
I agree with this. Sanderson and Gable are both dead to me. Hoiberg, not so much.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I agree re Sanderson but...U have to remember we are the school who wouldn't let Dan Gable be the head coach here and he moved on to Iowa............The Wrestling program has never recovered that that gigantic blunder

Harold Nichols had built ISU into the most powerful wrestling program in the country, how do you fire an icon like that when he wants to continue to run the program? You don't, it was just bad timing with Gable. In Cael we had another ISU icon in place but lost him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Clone fan brothers...do not go full Cleveland Cavs fans dumb here, we don't want to look like those idiots did burning LBJ jerseys and even their owner acting like a complete fool. There's a good chance Fred is right back on the market in a few years and who knows if he'd like to coach again.

Be like Naz Long, not Cavs fans.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What bothers me most is that he showed interest in the Magic and Pelican jobs.....SMH!

That dude wanted out of here.

Have you thought about whether he was contacted by the Magic and Pelicans and he just said he would listen to what they have to say? I don't think anyone said he contacted them about the job. If someone cantacted me about a job I'd probably at least listen.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The fact that he was willing to take any NBA job apparently if he is interviewing with the flipping Orlando Magic was disheartening. The Pelicans on the other hand is a better job that the Bulls. The fact he went to GarPax really makes me sick. Those two truly turn my stomach.

I guess I'm in the minority but the interviewing thing doesn't bother me at all. Presumably any agent would encourage their client to interview for any NBA job even if (and perhaps specifically if) it were another NBA job they wanted.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
That's what is irking me as well.

Bothers me most is that Fred is like about every other coach we've had, and used ISU as a stepping stone. All this talk about the love for Ames and ISU comes off as little more than PR banter now. In the end, all it is is a guy with no experience getting a shot at pretty much the only place that would give him one , had decent success and cashed his chips in and moved on down the road.

I think what actually bothers me most is that I felt with Fred, we may actually have a shot at another Johnny-type legacy at ISU. Or coach K or Izzo - longevity. If we can't get Fred to stay for more than a 5 year tour and not jump to greener pastures.... who will?

I love Ames and ISU too but my best career moves weren't there either. The only loyalty in this world is to perform the job in which you are hired, and for the employer to pay you for such work. That's just the professional world.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron