Bothers me the most

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JackCyclone

Jan 31, 2013
I have no hard feelings toward the Mayor and trust that this move is what is best for his career and his family and I just became a huge Chicago Bulls fan...

But having grown up die-hard Iowa State fan I am struggling to get over that Fred was ok with leaving with his last game as a head coach for ISU being a loss to 14-seed UAB. Does this really bother anyone else? I feel like being such an intense competitor that he is, that loss would really motivate him to come back and finish the job he started and reach a final four/NC. I understand that at this point the timing is right for him but I wonder if that will bother him as well or if it was in his thought process a little bit.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I have no hard feelings toward the Mayor and trust that this move is what is best for his career and his family and I just became a huge Chicago Bulls fan...

But having grown up die-hard Iowa State fan I am struggling to get over that Fred was ok with leaving with his last game as a head coach for ISU being a loss to 14-seed UAB. Does this really bother anyone else? I feel like being such an intense competitor that he is, that loss would really motivate him to come back and finish the job he started and reach a final four/NC. I understand that at this point the timing is right for him but I wonder if that will bother him as well or if it was in his thought process a little bit.

At most it should show you this is a business and a profession and not a past-time to professional coaches.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This will sound really weird but I feel really bad for Fred. I was sitting there last night thinking about Izzo and K and that Fred is missing out on a Coach K legacy. Statues, buildings named Hoiberg...god status...Bear Bryant status.

Legacy is what it's about, not challenge, not money...

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
This will sound really weird but I feel really bad for Fred. I was sitting there last night thinking about Izzo and K and that Fred is missing out on a Coach K legacy. Statues, buildings named Hoiberg...god status...Bear Bryant status.

Maybe legacy is not what its about for Fred, maybe he just wants to coach basketball at its highest level. Or more likely, he'd rather have a Red Auerbach/Phil Jackson legacy than a Coach K/Tom Izzo one.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
What bothers me most is that guys like Hoiberg, Sanderson and Gable, our golden boys, used ISU as a stepping stone job. It happens, I know. Just wish a coach who has a little success here would want to stay here ... not use us. I guess McCarney fit that mold, but he was fired.

Reactions: CyBobby

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I would have been far more upset if Hoiberg moved to another bigger college job instead of the NBA. I understand he wants to try coaching in the top basketball league in the world. I guess it really doesn't bother me.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Maybe our new coach can let Fred come back to coach one last game. Like ku at home or something. That would be sweet. I'm joking of course. Maybe?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried..........Its not about legacy statues or buildings...........Its all about the Money and Prestige of an NBA title esp for Fred Im Long Gone Hoiberg...........

Iowa State basketball comes ina very poor 2nd to the nba for Fred...........

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa

Maybe this legacy at Iowa State is not for him. Maybe he wanted to do more out of life then just NCAA basketball. To me, I would be honored for a bunch of NBA teams wanting me as a coach and hopefully he can make a legacy in the big leagues and statues will be hung up and he will have that "God" status that everyone thinks about. You also have to know that probably after this heart surgery, he had a change of heart, no pun intended. But his health will not get any better so I imagine he wanted to go and do bigger things in life and why not have some extra cash handed to him as well. IMO

:spinny:

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
What bothers me most is that he showed interest in the Magic and Pelican jobs.....SMH!

That dude wanted out of here.

Dougie

Sep 11, 2011
What bothers me most is that guys like Hoiberg, Sanderson and Gable, our golden boys, used ISU as a stepping stone job. It happens, I know. Just wish a coach who has a little success here would want to stay here ... not use us. I guess McCarney fit that mold, but he was fired.

That always bothered me the most with Sanderson, because we were willing to pay him, and our history of success was better than Penn St. It still makes me mad.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
What bothers me most is that he showed interest in the Magic and Pelican jobs.....SMH!

That dude wanted out of here.

That's what is irking me as well.

Bothers me most is that Fred is like about every other coach we've had, and used ISU as a stepping stone. All this talk about the love for Ames and ISU comes off as little more than PR banter now. In the end, all it is is a guy with no experience getting a shot at pretty much the only place that would give him one , had decent success and cashed his chips in and moved on down the road.

I think what actually bothers me most is that I felt with Fred, we may actually have a shot at another Johnny-type legacy at ISU. Or coach K or Izzo - longevity. If we can't get Fred to stay for more than a 5 year tour and not jump to greener pastures.... who will?

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
That always bothered me the most with Sanderson, because we were willing to pay him, and our history of success was better than Penn St. It still makes me mad.

I agree re Sanderson but...U have to remember we are the school who wouldn't let Dan Gable be the head coach here and he moved on to Iowa............The Wrestling program has never recovered that that gigantic blunder

cobraclone71

Jan 3, 2011
Maybe our new coach can let Fred come back to coach one last game. Like ku at home or something. That would be sweet. I'm joking of course. Maybe?

OMFG. This is brilliant. Celebrity coach for the Iowa game.

Hilton would register on the Richter scale if he walked out of the locker room for that.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Legacy is what people worry about when you're dead. Life is for living.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Hard to pinpoint what bothers me most. I guess having that UAB loss as my final memory of Hoiball might actually help me get over the heartbreak. We have to set our sights higher than that at least.

The fact that he was willing to take any NBA job apparently if he is interviewing with the flipping Orlando Magic was disheartening. The Pelicans on the other hand is a better job that the Bulls. The fact he went to GarPax really makes me sick. Those two truly turn my stomach.

But I guess the topper for me is the thought that Matt Thomas was getting a totally different version of his plans than Diallo was. I can't get past that disappointment. And that truly bothers me the most.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron