NFL: Jameis Winston talking about Crab Legs

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/st...eminoles-says-crab-legs-were-given-not-stolen

This story is just hilarious. First off you don't get a ticket for shoplifting if they were given to you at no cost and 2nd if they were given to you I'm pretty sure that violates the NCAA gift rules. He even talks about getting other things free from the store which could be interesting if the NCAA would look into that now that he admitted to it.

Whoever drafts this piece of work deserves all the headaches they have coming with dealing with him.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
giphy.gif
Oh Jameis

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wouldn't it be funny if high profile athletes had to go in front of someone like Judge Judy so we can all see just how dumb they really are

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wonder if someone sitting at a desk at the NCAA ever thinks "How did I ever end up with a career where I analyze the the method by which a college student procures his crab legs"?

It may be the most obscure job anyone has been tasked with, they probably have multiple people looking into crab leg procurement...and likely being told by some boss to look the other way on this particular crustacean situation.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I saw that too and wondered what the deal was. I actually believe him. Some guy sees him in a store and gives him a free cake. Next time he sees him gives him some crab legs. He gets caught walking out with him and the employee is like oh crap....ummmmm he stole them...so he gets to keep his job.

I wondered if he could be penalized for it or if they have to prove he received them because he was a fb player.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I saw that too and wondered what the deal was. I actually believe him. Some guy sees him in a store and gives him a free cake. Next time he sees him gives him some crab legs. He gets caught walking out with him and the employee is like oh crap....ummmmm he stole them...so he gets to keep his job.

I wondered if he could be penalized for it or if they have to prove he received them because he was a fb player.

penalized now? No. Penalized at the time? Sure. If this was his story from the beginning. How much different the punishment would have been is another story, though. If I recall correctly, he had to sit out some baseball games as a result of the incident. If it had been viewed as an improper benefits case, the punishment might not have been any different.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/st...eminoles-says-crab-legs-were-given-not-stolen

This story is just hilarious. First off you don't get a ticket for shoplifting if they were given to you at no cost and 2nd if they were given to you I'm pretty sure that violates the NCAA gift rules. He even talks about getting other things free from the store which could be interesting if the NCAA would look into that now that he admitted to it.

Whoever drafts this piece of work deserves all the headaches they have coming with dealing with him.

NFL money typical cures all wrongs. I can't see how drafting him could even remotely lead to issues.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Giving a kid like that a boat load of money will only lead to disaster.

People who are coddled, play by a separate set of rules and are not held responsible for their actions end up in a very bad place in the adult world. Even if he's a superstar in the NFL, those days are short and life will catch up to him soon once he's washed up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Giving a kid like that a boat load of money will only lead to disaster.

People who are coddled, play by a separate set of rules and are not held responsible for their actions end up in a very bad place in the adult world. Even if he's a superstar in the NFL, those days are short and life will catch up to him soon once he's washed up.

It's nowhere near that cut and dried. Jameis is hardly the only NFL player who was coddled in high school and college. Plenty of highly regarded, highly recruited, players are out there. Their success or failure is on each one individually.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
It's nowhere near that cut and dried. Jameis is hardly the only NFL player who was coddled in high school and college. Plenty of highly regarded, highly recruited, players are out there. Their success or failure is on each one individually.

I'm not talking his success in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a big success there. It's when he and others like him are done, the bright lights are gone and they are nothing more than yesterday's news. That's when they feel the "consequences" of being privileged.

Authority tends to treat you no differently once your name means nothing IMO.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
Kid lacks accountability, just admit it was a mistake don't make excuses. Its stupid just $32 in crab legs. Why take 'gifts' when I am sure FSU dining facilities have very good food.

Fans may call him immature, haters may call him a thug.

Whatever you think he is, you don't want either trait taking chains of your program.

Tampa Bay will draft him, I hope he is able to turn that program around, I like the Buccaneers.

Last edited: