Your top 10 beers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Charred? Or chard? Big difference.

Chardonnay barrels.

I would recommend Nebraska Brewing Company. They have several excellent beers. I'd say by far best brewery in Nebraska.

Not sure I have a top 10, but some of my favorites:
Delerium Nochturnum
Spaten Optimator
Warsteiner Dunkel
Great Divide Yeti (several styles)
Baraboo Bonfire Marzen (only had once but really liked)
Boulevard Wheat
New Belgium Fat Tire

Oh, and Coors Light

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
(In no particular order)

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss
Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter
Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest
Black & Tan (Guinness + Harp)
Shock Top
Blue Moon
Oatmeal Stout (looking for a brand)
Woodchuck Maple
Historic Brewing Co "Piehole Porter" (Flagstaff/Phoenix) - might be one of the single best beers I have ever had
Budweiser (the original one found in the Czech Republic)

Last edited:

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
No order. Should disclose that I would drink almost anything called beer.

Odell - 90 Shilling (all day, every day)
Odell - Runoff Red IPA/ St. Lupilin
Surly - Furious
Summit - Saga
Flat Earth - Northwest Passage
Junction - Conductors
Wellington - Terrestrial Brown India Pale Ale
Steamwhistle
Hobgoblin
Sam Smiths - Nut Brown Ale

Used to love Moose Drool, but it tastes different to me now.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am a huge fan of IPA's and Brown Ales but whenever I come across a beer that just works for me it does not matter who or what it is. Here is my Top Ten in order:

1. New Belgium - Fat Tire (Amber)
  2. Odell Brewing - 5 Barrel Pale Ale
  3. Magic Hat - #9 (Pale Ale)
  4. Magic Hat - Hi#9 (IPA version of #9)
  5. Tommyknocker - Maple Nut Brown Ale
  6. Old Boys Brewhouse - Hopdropper IPA
  7. Hideout Brewing - Executioner Scotch Ale
  8. New Belgium - Shift
  9. Elk Brewing - Rooster Coffee Porter
  10. Against The Grain - Rico Sauvin (Imperial IPA)

Honorable mention:
  • New Holland - Oak Aged Mad Hatter (IPA)
  • Left Hand - Nitro Milk Stout
  • Shorts - Dripalicious (Brown Ale)
  • Right Brain - Naughty Girl Stout
  • Rogue - Voodoo Doughnut - Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Banana Ale (Brown Ale)
  • Crazy Mountain - Amber Ale
  • Bristol Brewing - Mass Transit (Amber)

First person I have heard that liked NB Shift... I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

My fav right now is Boulevard Tank 7. Just wish it was not so pricey.

AustinHawk

Dec 10, 2009
Dogfish Head - Olde School
Small Town Brewery - Not Your Father's Root Beer
Prairie Artisan Ales - Pirate Bomb!
Founders - Canadian Breakfast Stout
Bell's - Venus
Bell's - Hopslam
Stone - 2013 Old Guardian
Karbach Brewing - Yule Shoot Your Eye Out
Toppling Goliath - Light Speed
3 Floyd's - Alpha King

VagaClone

Sep 2, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
First person I have heard that liked NB Shift... I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

My fav right now is Boulevard Tank 7. Just wish it was not so pricey.

I love Shift for its simplicity. I love light beers in the summer and this one is a high quality one right along with Shorts - Pontius Road Pilsner.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
No particular order:

New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat
New Glarus Moon Man Ale
Red Hook Winter Ale
Anchor Steam anything
Grainbelt
New Belgium 1554
Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
Great River 483 Pale Ale
Confluence Des Moines IPA
Confluence Downtown Throw Down

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
TG Psuedo Sue
TG Zeelander
New Glarus Moon Man
Surly Fest
Surly Wet

Pliny the Elder
Supplication
Lagunitas Sucks
Founder's All Day
Thomas Hooker Liberator

Hm: Grain Belt

I'm going to drop Surly Wet as it's status is a little bit up in the air, and add Oskar Blues' Pinner IPA. I can't get enough. For those unfamiliar with it it's a lower alcohol (or session) IPA with a lighter body but killer hop flavor. Perfect summer beer, and since it's Oskar Blues, it's canned.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm going to drop Surly Wet as it's status is a little bit up in the air, and add Oskar Blues' Pinner IPA. I can't get enough. For those unfamiliar with it it's a lower alcohol (or session) IPA with a lighter body but killer hop flavor. Perfect summer beer, and since it's Oskar Blues, it's canned.

Where do you get it? I've been looking for something I like in a can but haven't found anything around here. The only 'craft' beer the HyVee here has is Leinenkugel in a few flavors. None of which I like.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Where do you get it? I've been looking for something I like in a can but haven't found anything around here. The only 'craft' beer the HyVee here has is Leinenkugel in a few flavors. None of which I like.

There's a trend for these smaller breweries going to cans. You're seeing more and more every day.

Do you have Surly in Marshalltown? They are all in cans (16oz) and are pretty damn good, for the most part. :yes:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There's a trend for these smaller breweries going to cans. You're seeing more and more every day.

Do you have Surly in Marshalltown? They are all in cans (16oz) and are pretty damn good, for the most part. :yes:

There have been craft beer cans all over the place since I've been in Colorado. That way, you can drink them in the parks, and take them backpacking.

I actually got a 32oz can of Mission Double IPA when I was in Arizona for work. I couldn't finish it. It wasn't' that good, but it was a big *** can.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Hy-Vee. Thanks for the suggestion.

There have been craft beer cans all over the place since I've been in Colorado. That way, you can drink them in the parks, and take them backpacking.

I actually got a 32oz can of Mission Double IPA when I was in Arizona for work. I couldn't finish it. It wasn't' that good, but it was a big *** can.

Yeah, I'm trying to find something that comes in 12pk or 24pk cans to take on trips(to drink when I get there, not driving:)). Packing bottles in the car sucks not to mention dealing with the empty bottles.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Seriously?

Drive to Ames, if that's the case. I bought mine in Rochester, MN but it's in most large Iowa markets too.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had an Oarsman Ale not too long ago. Its not for everybody, but I took a chance on it and ended up liking it a lot. I like quite a few New Glarus beers, but dont get at them much.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'll have to look for it next time I'm at Hy-Vee. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I'm trying to find something that comes in 12pk or 24pk cans to take on trips(to drink when I get there, not driving:)). Packing bottles in the car sucks not to mention dealing with the empty bottles.

Founders All Day IPA comes in a 15 pack. Good can beer.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Been drinking Zip Line Oatmeal Porter lately and love it.
I'm not a big banana anything fan but bought the Shock Top variety recently and loved the Spiced Banana Wheat.
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat has always been a favorite.
Schlafy Coffee Stout is yummy.
Firetrucker had one that I really liked that I got at Jake's in Ankeny but I can't remember the name.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Founders All Day IPA comes in a 15 pack. Good can beer.

This is the best I have found in cans so far at my hyvee (That comes in something bigger then a 4-pack). Boulevard is releasing some cans this week in KC. Other markets to follow.