Vinyl Album Collectors?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For those of you really into the Beatles, I saw a big collection of mono recordings at ZZZ last weekend. I believe the price tag for the entire collection was $375; a little steep but definitely a cool piece.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
We play our vinyl collection frequently and much of it is near mint. Having the kids grown up helps greatly. A good disc washer and protective sleeves help maintain. Sleeves are pretty cheap if you're not using them.

http://www.amazon.com/100-12-Record...d_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A4J488VN8EMGWKKHP79

For those that are scratched and worn, we're enjoying up-grading our old favorites to 180 and 200 gram over time.

Enjoy.
Any recommendations for a good vinyl cleaner that's not too expensive?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I have a pretty large vinyl collection. Have been collecting records since the late 70s as a kid. Started buying a lot of stuff in the mid 80s. Fast forward to 2007 when I got an opportunity to have a show on KURE. I wanted to do a show with 80s music, but focus on songs that weren't hits, album tracks, and 12" singles/remixes, instead of just "the hits."

I would make special trips to Minneapolis to hunt down low-cost albums and 45s (so I could afford to get as much as possible). A couple of times, I flew out to San Francisco to visit Amoeba in both SF and Berkeley and the Rasputin's in Berkeley. I don't even know how many records I dragged back to Iowa with me from the Bay Area for that show, but it was a LOT. I still go music shopping when I'm out there because I always find SOMEthing cool, especially at Amoeba in Haight-Ashbury. If people are ever out that way and have an interest in this, I highly recommend looking the place up and spending a couple hours there.

www.amoeba.com

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Sounds like a cool idea. Is it expensive? Mostly newer or more "classic" stuff?

I believe it is $27 a month. With that you get the vinyl (which is usually a limited run album), a print that relates to the album and then a drink recipe that is paired with the album also. A mix of both, classic and new. Last month was Perfume Genius, which is an incredible album and I was absolutely surprised at how much I really enjoy it. This month was a Jazz album which is something I usually do not get into, but I guess that is the point of the club is to try new things and artists you would have passed on simply because you don't know who they are.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Anyone have contact info for the Vinyl Café in Ames or is it even open anymore? I had a phone number for them but when I tried it the other day I got the previous business owner instead.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Another option, if you haven't visited already, is SoundStage Direct

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/

Lots of new and obscure vinyl, plus many 180 and 200 gram pressings of classics.

Also, was in St. Louis for Thanksgiving last week. Had heard of a record store with a huge collection, The Record Exchange on Hampton Ave..

http://recordexchangestl.com/index.php

I personally had never a collection this large. I was there two hrs, til my wife drug me out, and still had much to see.

Has good memorabilia and some retro equipment also.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
I joined a club called VinylMePlease. Every month they send you a new vinyl and so far, I've got to say, I've been really impressed by what they've sent.

http://www.vinylmeplease.com

Nice, they're a pretty sweet startup here in Boulder that's making some nice waves, still thinking about pulling the trigger on this but I just worry about doubling up on ****....I (now have to) buy quite a bit of music.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Made my first significant purchase in a while yesterday at the collector's show. I found a three disc bootleg of a Springsteen show recorded in '78. It's not an original pressing so the sound quality is just ok, but still a good find.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Made my first significant purchase in a while yesterday at the collector's show. I found a three disc bootleg of a Springsteen show recorded in '78. It's not an original pressing so the sound quality is just ok, but still a good find.

Did it come with anal bum cover?

9k=

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I received the remastered Physical Graffiti last week and have been blasting it all week long. I'm sure my neighbors love me...well, if they were Zeppelin fans, they should definitely love me.