What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
SouthernHawk's signature block and this recent post by DJK15:
When was the last time you guys sold out a FB game that wasn't against Iowa/Nebraska or filled with thousands of UNI Panther fans?

I'm half joking/half serious with this question, I'd actually like to know. I graduated from ISU in 06 and I don't recall too many sellouts.

...have got me wondering. It seems like there is a good handful of Iowa State students and alumni who aren't Cyclone fans. I guess I can kind of understand that maybe some of them grew up rooting for other teams before coming to Iowa State. However, if you enjoyed your experience at Iowa State, is there a reason why you wouldn't at least start rooting for your school's/alma mater's sports teams, even if they don't necessarily supplant some previous loyalty in the #1 spot? For me, it was a natural progression of things to become a Cyclone fan because my undergraduate experience at Iowa State was such a positive one, even though I hadn't followed Cyclone sports much before I arrived on campus.

Anyone care to explain the phenomenon? I'm not trying to call anyone out or start a flame throwing thread. I'm just honestly curious to hear why some people who are proud to be Iowa State students or alumni aren't at least somewhat interested in cheering on their school's athletic teams.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I'm cool with ISU winning. In fact, I rather enjoy seeing them do well.

The reason I kept my SH handle is basically because I came here for the debate - which I've gotten - and it's all been fun.

But like I've said, I'm proud to be a Stater, and although ISU isn't my #1 team, I'd rather them win than lose.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
When I went to ISU I knew some students who just weren't into sports.

Of course most of those people would not drink with us either.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
When I went to ISU I knew some students who just weren't into sports.

Of course most of those people would not drink with us either.

I also have many friends that just seem to care less about ISU sports, or sports in general. It's really disheartening! :sad:

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
The way I see it, there are more and more people nowadays who see all the negatives in sports...the corruption, egotistic athletes, overpaid coaches, and universities that give more attention to their sports than they do to the actual educations their students receive. These are all things that definitely turn me off of college sports. However, there are many positives that keep me following Iowa State. The main reason is that it is in line with family tradition for me, and I like to keep my ties with the state of Iowa since I live in Minnesota.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I don't totally get it either. I was an Illinois and DePaul fan in high school (growing up in Chicago), but as soon as I knew I was going to Iowa State, I was a Cyclone for life.

Of course it has to be tougher if you go to a school that is the arch-rival of the one you rooted for growing up.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I grew up a Hawkeye fan but when I came to ISU my allegiance quickly changed. I really don't care about what people think or who they root for but why do some ISU students have to be "that guy" and where their Hawk stuff everyday and flaunt it like they are making some kind of statement? It just really came down to pride for me, and I'm proud of being an Iowa Stater.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.
I understand why someone wouldn't base where they attend college on sports loyalties alone. It makes sense to me that someone would choose Iowa State over Iowa for programs like engineering, design, etc. (just like I would understand why someone would choose Iowa over Iowa State for certain programs like medical majors, English, etc.).

What I don't completely understand is why your sports loyalties wouldn't be influenced by where you spend 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7 :wink:) of the most formative, memorable years of your life. Obviously, not everyone is a sports fan, but for those who are, one of the best ways to connect with the college community is to root for your school's sports teams. I'm just curious why some people make such a strong division between sports loyalties and the community of which they choose to be a part. For me, at least, they became pretty well integrated when I was an Iowa State student.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota

And you don't see a problem with this? You wonder why ISU has a heard time fundraising from their alumni (for sports of course)...

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I grew up a Hawkeye fan but when I came to ISU my allegiance quickly changed. I really don't care about what people think or who they root for but why do some ISU students have to be "that guy" and where their Hawk stuff everyday and flaunt it like they are making some kind of statement? It just really came down to pride for me, and I'm proud of being an Iowa Stater.

I have to admit...I was "that guy" quite often during my years at ISU. But I wasn't flaunting it. You bring up pride - I was just proud to be a Hawkeye fan.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Winning solves a lot of things. Iowa has been ingrained in a lot of areas....because they have won more often. The teams that win more games generally have bigger fan bases. It is still hard for me to get tho. Go to ISU = Cheer for ISU in my mind

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I have to admit...I was "that guy" quite often during my years at ISU. But I wasn't flaunting it. You bring up pride - I was just proud to be a Hawkeye fan.

Fair enough, I just hope you are still a fan of the university itself and what it represents sports aside. Plus it doesn't hurt to root for ISU when they aren't playing the Hawks. Just do me a favor, next time some of your fellow Hawks start talking out of their a$$ about Lames this and Moo U that give them a swift kick in the face. I assume you enjoyed your years here loyalties aside.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
My boy is an IU grad, still lives in IC, works in CR and pulls for the Clones over the Hawks, works both ways.

If your boy is an IU grad, why would he move to IC? Just messing with ya.

One of my friends freshman year was a big time U of I fan. Seneca liked to give him crap in class.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I loved my time at ISU and Ames is a great town. If I ever come into a lot of money some of it is definitely going to ISU academics. However a lifetime's worth of Hawkeye brain-washing makes it impossible for me to root for the Cyclones...sorry!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
So these fan you speak of are like most Iowa fans and never attended UofI. I worked with an ISU grad who is still an Iowa fan his excuse is "where I come from everyone is an Iowa fan, and if you are not you are nobody and get ripped on." Very laim excuse if you ask me.

If you go to game, tailgate, and have a good time I dont understand how you can not become a fan of whatever school you do those things at.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
ISU should charge student Hawkeye fans more for tickets because they'll never donate to the athletic department, that's for sure.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i grew up a husker fan (i just threw up in my mouth a little bit) and now wouldnt cheer for them if my life depended on it. so there are those of us make the crossover successfully

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
i grew up a husker fan (i just threw up in my mouth a little bit) and now wouldnt cheer for them if my life depended on it. so there are those of us make the crossover successfully

So you are not going to pay $95 to go to their spring game. There is a fan base that wont complain about what ISU charges them for tickets. That is until we beat them.