Harbaugh would bring several San Diego players?

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
This was reported in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Has anyone else heard its a possibility they wouldn't have to sit out a year?

-----------------

Speculation swirls that Harbaugh would bring several San Diego players with him to Iowa State if he gets the job. Because San Diego does not offer football scholarships, it’s likely any player who transfers would not be required to sit out a year. NCAA spokesman Crissy Schuelp said transfer rules apply individually and are subject to NCAA oversight.

Last edited:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Not sure how well I-AA nonscholarship players would adjust to the Big 12. It's a bit of a learning curve.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hopefully he has some stud O linemen to bring with him them. Cause we are going to need some help in that department.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Non scholarship players can play right away on a big stage. Coaches move, players mover. Big Business. New image of sports.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
Why would we want I-AA caliber players?

Unless our only focus every year will be to beat UNI, we need to aim a little higher than that.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Why would we want I-AA caliber players?

Unless our only focus every year will be to beat UNI, we need to aim a little higher than that.

If you look at their roster...several players went to San Diego after being recruited by some big schools, Oregon, Oregon State, Wash State. For you to say why would we want I-AA caliber players might be jumping the gun a little too fast on the quality of players that he brought into San Diego.

I thought the same thought you had until i went through each player on their team and they have some pretty good players.

clone4410

Apr 13, 2006
Tell me this, if these players were being recruited by Oregon and Washington State why would they go to San Diego and pay for school??? Sounds like BS to me....

seneca4MVP

Nov 14, 2006
Tell me this, if these players were being recruited by Oregon and Washington State why would they go to San Diego and pay for school??? Sounds like BS to me....

Agreed and don't tell me it was to play for Harbaugh. As much as they love Harbaugh i am sure they love a full ride scholarship to a big time D1 school more.

clacy

Apr 19, 2006
I can't imagine there being more than 1 or 2 players on that team that we would even want. Good players aren't going to go pay for school when they can easily get scholarships at 1AA and JUCOs

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I would agree that moving players with JH would be bad IF they were a scholarship school. But to give players a chance to get a college scholarship seems like a good thing to do. I don't see anything wrong with it, and I bet he has some players that would help ISU.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I Wouldn't Want Harbaugh to Bring Players

Maybe they could transfer without sitting out, but that would surprise me. If kids jump from 1AA scholarship to 1A they have to sit.

Second, I don't think it is ethical to bring a group of players along. The current school he is at has invested in those kids education & I don't think it would be right for Harbaugh to encourage kids to follow him.

Lastly, even though a school like USD in non-scholarship- I bet most of those kids get a majority of their education paid for through scholarships, grants, etc. I doubt many are taking out huge student loan debt. A school like Stanford does well in the Sears Cup Trophy because their kids in partial scholarship sports can receive scholarships, grants and endowment money.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Tell me this, if these players were being recruited by Oregon and Washington State why would they go to San Diego and pay
for school??? Sounds like BS to me....

Because being recruited by and having a scholarship offer are two completly different things.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
While the talent level of these players might not be up to the standards we are thriving for, you definately need the depth.

I agree with cyclonepride above in saying that would be a horrible thing to do to his former team, but as long as it is the players decision, you have to respect it. Some may really like the coach, some may want a better education, or some just may want a free ride, but it is there choice.

I personally hope they stay and if it is Harbaugh, he goes out and finds new players. Only time will tell.