My cell phone broke!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I still have about 6 months on my contract with iwireless and my Razr phone crashed. I'm sure I didn't get any insurance. What's the best way to replace it?

Go back to iwireless and pay for a new phone for 6 months (I may not renew with them at the end of the contract) or get one on ebay or something?

Thanks!

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I still have about 6 months on my contract with iwireless and my Razr phone crashed. I'm sure I didn't get any insurance. What's the best way to replace it?

Go back to iwireless and pay for a new phone for 6 months (I may not renew with them at the end of the contract) or get one on ebay or something?

Thanks!

My advice is ebay, pretty easy to get a cheap holdover phone on there. My phone recently decided to take a swim and got an replacement for 18 dollars with shipping(its not very new or fancy but if it calls and texts its fine by me). Depending how long you've been with the company, or if your old phone is unlocked you could just activate that again.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What's with the whole unlocked thing? Sorry, I'm dumb.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
What's with the whole unlocked thing? Sorry, I'm dumb.

If you bought of ebay the phone your getting would either need to be previously on your network or unlocked otherwise you couldn't use it(not a problem, the sellers list whether its unlocked or which network its on). Like in my instance I had to buy a phone that was already verizon and could use one that was already on Sprint. Unlocked phones should be able to be used on any network.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I never pay for the insurance and knock on wood have never broke a cellphone yet other than the outter LCD display which I can live with. Figure eventually if I ever do break one I saved enough money not paying for the insurance I can just pay for the replacement.

If you are just 6 months away from end of contract just find a cheap phone. Also, I thought there was something that technically by Iowa law you can break a cell phone contract without penalty after 3 months? I don't if that is true or not but I've heard of people getting out of their contracts at little to no penalty because of some kind of technicality with Iowa laws on cell phone contracts.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I'm with US Cellular but in times when my phone took a dump they had loaner phones I used for a couple months to get me to resign time. You could try that and not pay a dime.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It may still be under warranty, doesn't hurt to find out... I have the worst luck in the world with phones and have had to use the cell phone insurance numerous times....

1. Girl putting number in phone, drops it in drink
2. Friend using phone, puts it where the trunk closes in my car without telling me when he's done, i close the trunk and it smashes.
3. Drop it in a lake
4. Drop it in a puddle
5. have it in my golf bag, after a bad shot hit the bag (right where the phone is) it smashes.
6. Drop my phone in a parking lot, reach down to pick it up and accidently kick it, gets hit by oncoming car....

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
And the insurance hasn't dropped you yet? I have always had insurance on my phones cause I am rough with them. And now that I have a smart phone it makes it more important to have it.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Also, you need to make sure you do NOT get a GSM phone (cingular/T-mobile) as they will not work on a CDMA network (you can't really "lock" a GSM phone, since they use SIM cards instead of the CDMA "hardwiring" model). Many times a provider will not activate a "foreign" ESN. I'd make sure and either get a phone from another iwireless user, or ask iwireless if they would activate an unlocked "foreign" ESN before you spend money on it.

wantapet

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston, Ia
I am with Verizon, I believe if I am within six months to the end of my contract they will let me do an early upgrade for a new phone. I know you said you may not continue with your current company, but this solution may help with that decision if they offer it.

I would like to share this about Verizon. I bought a Blackberry Pearl 8130 about 4-6 months ago. I truly have beat the living heck out of this thing. It is also evident by looking at it. It would no longer take a charge. Assuming it was the battery, I went to verizon expecting to pay, probably, $50-$100 bucks for a new battery. Without question she popped a new battery in for me and said I hope this works. How much?, no charge she said it is under warranty. Blew my mind, there always seems to be some small print that seems to screw me on warranty issues.

Well, it wasn't the battery it was the phone. Walked right back in from the car, told her, said a new phone would be at my door in two days. Oh, and keep the new battery, send your older one back in with the phone.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I hhhhhate motorola... my phone battery is nonexistent. Drives me crazy.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
It may still be under warranty, doesn't hurt to find out... I have the worst luck in the world with phones and have had to use the cell phone insurance numerous times....

1. Girl putting number in phone, drops it in drink
2. Friend using phone, puts it where the trunk closes in my car without telling me when he's done, i close the trunk and it smashes.
3. Drop it in a lake
4. Drop it in a puddle
5. have it in my golf bag, after a bad shot hit the bag (right where the phone is) it smashes.
6. Drop my phone in a parking lot, reach down to pick it up and accidently kick it, gets hit by oncoming car....

Is it fair to assume that you didn't have the greatest fielding percentage when you were playing? :wink:

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I am with Verizon, I believe if I am within six months to the end of my contract they will let me do an early upgrade for a new phone. I know you said you may not continue with your current company, but this solution may help with that decision if they offer it.

I would like to share this about Verizon. I bought a Blackberry Pearl 8130 about 4-6 months ago. I truly have beat the living heck out of this thing. It is also evident by looking at it. It would no longer take a charge. Assuming it was the battery, I went to verizon expecting to pay, probably, $50-$100 bucks for a new battery. Without question she popped a new battery in for me and said I hope this works. How much?, no charge she said it is under warranty. Blew my mind, there always seems to be some small print that seems to screw me on warranty issues.

Well, it wasn't the battery it was the phone. Walked right back in from the car, told her, said a new phone would be at my door in two days. Oh, and keep the new battery, send your older one back in with the phone.

Are you sure this didn't happen in bizarro world?

HawkHater

Mar 5, 2008
Not knowing your situation, but if the your homeowners/renters insurance would cover it, your phone could have an unfortunate accident. Of course, I never gave you this advice:)

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Wish I could help you out but I have already given my son(ISU sophomore) our four extra phones. What is it with younger people breaking their phones. I talk 3000 minutes a month on mine and call on construction sites yet mine works perfectly. The kicker is I have insurance and he doesn't.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Wish I could help you out but I have already given my son(ISU sophomore) our four extra phones. What is it with younger people breaking their phones. I talk 3000 minutes a month on mine and call on construction sites yet mine works perfectly. The kicker is I have insurance and he doesn't.

For me its any sort of water, never broken one by dropping it, got pushed in a pool once(killed), washed a couple(survived), got paint on jeans decided to soak them(killed), lost it in dark and couldnt find it for 3 days in which it rained and snow(survived), and fell in sink for like 3 secs and dried it out immediately(oddly compared to some of the worse ones killed). My theory on the subject is that LG phones are pretty water tolerant compared to Nokia.

Help Support Us

Become a patron