Deonte Burton

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Keeping scholarships open is becoming more and more the right move. We kind of got lucky with Kane (lost Armardi) and McKay, but I think we have stud freshman Dillon Brooks right now if we had a spot for him.

Hopefully it won't be an issue this time. As much as I want to go for broke next year, Fred could really do some things with a 6'5" 240 athletic SF. He looks quick enough to defend most wings, and would be tough to defend in our inverted offense and a great finisher on the break.

I agree there are so many transfers now, you have more upside on banking one than giving it out on a flier

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
There's no reason to keep a scholly open when we can just make one come open every summer if we want to. You can't plan for guys leaving mid-season it almost never happens.

Not true nowadays.
Did we have room for Brooks? We had to lose a guy we wanted to get Kane. I'll take the risk of having a scholarship go unused for a semester for the chance at gaining market power for guys like Brooks or mid season transfers. Guys become available and I'd wait for them over signing guys like Bluford or non-contributors. Just like getting transfers was an under utilized strategy that Fred exploited so is viewing signing season as year round.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Even if a guy doesn't contribute in games it helps a lot to have someone that is better than a walk-on for the scout team.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
So I assume if he transfers now he would sit all of next year and have 2 full years of eligibility remaining? Or would he sit out first semester next year and then have 1.5 years remaining? Unless he plans to go pro early or something, it would seem stupid to waste that extra semester of eligibility.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So I assume if he transfers now he would sit all of next year and have 2 full years of eligibility remaining? Or would he sit out first semester next year and then have 1.5 years remaining? Unless he plans to go pro early or something, it would seem stupid to waste that extra semester of eligibility.

I believe like McKay he would lose his redshirt for this year, so if he sits all next he would only have 1 year left. So better to play 1.5.

chuckn55

Dec 21, 2013
I believe like McKay he would lose his redshirt for this year, so if he sits all next he would only have 1 year left. So better to play 1.5.

I think since this is his sophomore year, he could transfer out at semester and have to burn the 2nd semester of that year and pay his own way. He could then transfer somewhere and redshirt the 1st semester, and have 2.5 more years to play.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not saying its an omen, but at 2:05 of the high school video, Walking Cy makes an appearance.

OK, it's an omen.

web.png

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I think since this is his sophomore year, he could transfer out at semester and have to burn the 2nd semester of that year and pay his own way. He could then transfer somewhere and redshirt the 1st semester, and have 2.5 more years to play.
He has 3.5 years to play 2 seasons, or 2.5 years to play 1.5. His choice.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
That was awesome and that was some legit dunk tape music.
Agree.

He had a solid freshman year, but I can understand why he was not a instant impact guy. With the wrong coaching, he may be a tweener. Watching that video, I think Hoiberg would at least have him playing at a late 2013-2014 type role. He may be an inch or two shorter, but is probably 20 pounds heavier, just as explosive, and with a better handle.

I forgot how highly regarded he was early in high school (when Otz was all over him). Had he kept growing he was going to be an elite recruit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron