#400 for Bill Fennelly

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
ISU wins 85-62. Thanks coach. BF never heard of the "coaches graveyard":wink0st:

Typical early game - team shows a lot of promise - I'd rather they take it inside a little more for high percentage shots by Pierson and Wieben - both of whom look smooth and quick in the paint. CS Fullerton was effective from behind the arc - I'm not sure if that was by design or neglect.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Congrats on #400, here's to another 400 wins.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I'm not going to stick up for anyone or say anything has been done wrong because I approve of the direction of Cyclone athletics - basketball football and otherwise but Fennelly is no better than Dan Mac in terms of "getting it done" and taking the program to "a new level." If anything the women's team is the biggest indicator of where ISU athletics stands in the Big 12 for all sports. Not all that good and not all that bad and never seeming to go anywhere. It's more than a new basketball coach here or a new football coach there folks. If half the people I see ******** on websites put up a nickel for every complaint they had we'd have better sports teams almost instantly.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I'm not going to stick up for anyone or say anything has been done wrong because I approve of the direction of Cyclone athletics - basketball football and otherwise but Fennelly is no better than Dan Mac in terms of "getting it done" and taking the program to "a new level." If anything the women's team is the biggest indicator of where ISU athletics stands in the Big 12 for all sports. Not all that good and not all that bad and never seeming to go anywhere. It's more than a new basketball coach here or a new football coach there folks. If half the people I see ******** on websites put up a nickel for every complaint they had we'd have better sports teams almost instantly.

I guess being a top ten means nothing.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

WTF??????

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

I'm guessing you have only been paying attention to the women's team for the past couple years? Beating a 1 seed Connecticut team and taking a team to the Elite 8 is a far greater accomplishment than anything Mac has done. Fennelly made ISU into a NCAA contender year in and year out. Our attendance is in the Top 25 every year and usually in the Top 10. The talent level has been down the past couple years but a return to the NCAA Tournament this year looks possible and we are still very young. Fennelly has had far greater success than McCarney.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I don't know if you've ever followed women's basketball at ISU, but here is what Coach Fennelly has done at ISU. I suggest you take a look.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle...3&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=508203&Q_SEASON=2006

Don't give us the crap that he is no better than Mac at "getting it done." I would call Big 12 Championships and 34 straight weeks in the top 10 "getting it done."

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't get it. A man that's been here a very long time makes a big accomplishment by getting win # 400 and we've got a Cyclone fan that rips on him.

What kind of fans are we?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm guessing you have only been paying attention to the women's team for the past couple years? Beating a 1 seed Connecticut team and taking a team to the Elite 8 is a far greater accomplishment than anything Mac has done. Fennelly made ISU into a NCAA contender year in and year out. Our attendance is in the Top 25 every year and usually in the Top 10. The talent level has been down the past couple years but a return to the NCAA Tournament this year looks possible and we are still very young. Fennelly has had far greater success than McCarney.

Thanks jafg, you saved me from typing my own very similar response.

cyflyer

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
People talk all the time about how bad ISU football was when Dan got here. Well when Bill got here, women's basketball was worse than most Class A teams in Iowa high school 6v6 teams.

He has won conference titles to elite 8 in March. Yeah, he's just like Mac.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
You all can read your own crap about how great it is. IT'S DATED. AND it's no different than what the Dan Mac supporters posted. More than anything it's relative. Like competing in the Big 12 is easier in football and men's basketball than women's basketball? Please. I like Fennelly. But let's not use Big 12 "tournament" championships as some sort of indication of greatness. Sounding like Iowa fans now in terms of conference football "championships." Fennelly is a good coach and deserves credit but he is mediocre in terms of what others in the Big 12 have done in terms of accomplishing things. So you tell me? Is it the school or the coach? Half you people aren't even getting my point. You just think I'm taking a shot at Fennelly.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You all can read your own crap about how great it is. IT'S DATED. AND it's no different than what the Dan Mac supporters posted. More than anything it's relative. Like competing in the Big 12 is easier in football and men's basketball than women's basketball? Please. I like Fennelly. But let's not use Big 12 "tournament" championships as some sort of indication of greatness. Sounding like Iowa fans now in terms of conference football "championships." Fennelly is a good coach and deserves credit but he is mediocre in terms of what others in the Big 12 have done in terms of accomplishing things. So you tell me? Is it the school or the coach? Half you people aren't even getting my point. You just think I'm taking a shot at Fennelly.

Ok, now this post is worst than the first one. Did someone pee in your Cheerios this morning in Cardinal & Gold? Slash your tires and write ISU on your windshield?

Really man, you are reaching for a way to rip on our basketball coach and the athletic program as a whole.

This post is about women's basketball and the coach that just got win # 400. Quit dragging Dan into it as a way to crap on ISU.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
People talk all the time about how bad ISU football was when Dan got here. Well when Bill got here, women's basketball was worse than most Class A teams in Iowa high school 6v6 teams.

He has won conference titles to elite 8 in March. Yeah, he's just like Mac.

I'm sorry. List the accomplishments. How many OUTRIGHT Big 12 titles? Not tournament titles. What has been the result in the last 5 years? Answer that question and tell me we are moving forward. You people miss the point. It's not easy at Iowa State. Not for Fennelly. Not for Dan Mac and not for Jim Harbaugh or whoever. Yet you selectively prop up meaningless stats to defend Fennelly.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Since when? About the time our football team was in the top ten.

How long were we in the top ten for Football? A week, maybe two? How Long for WBB? Come on, read the link that was posted earlier and tell me you still think your right.

Fennelly is one of the most highly respected coaches in the country. He's done more than most coaches in the Big 12. Who's done more than he has in the Big 12? How many championships does D-Mac have?

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I understand what you are trying to say but we are comparing apples to oranges here. If Jim Walden was the WBB coach he still might be here, a good likable guy. People in general do not care if WBB wins or not if the football team is good. When WBB is good and winning fine that is great but if they are losing no one cares like many sports at ISU.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Okay, we all like to bow to the ladies and thank them but if women's basketball paid the bills or was the sport that got us in the news nationally or on ESPN or helped our egos in terms of debating things with Hawkeye fans then I'd be bowing down to Fennelly. But it isn't so it remains token gratitude to all of them. Thanks. We appreciate generally middle of the pack results in the Big 12. HOWEVER, because it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things everyone is all ready to pat Fennelly on the back. I reiterate the fact that Fennelly's record in about 4 Big 12 schools would get him canned. Yet we thank him. Hmmm.