Sigh...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I am 37 years old. Been a kool aid drinker for years. Every year I go in thinking this is it...this is the 10 win season we've all been waiting for. I thought today would be close but was SURE we would win. I have never been more apathetic after one game than I am right now. I have been behind Rhoads from the get go but I can't defend him anymore. Not saying I am giving up but to me, it's time to put up or shut up and I hate saying that. But you just do NOT lose to an FBS team this far into your tenure let alone get flat out drilled at home. You just don't. Not even to a team that had won 24 straight. Not giving up 34 straight points and getting only 57 yards in the second half. I'm not even that upset and that shows apathy for me and it really sucks. I'll be there every week as I always am cheering the Cyclones but not expecting anything in terms of victories this year. Blah

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
After 2 loses to FCS opponents, this has to be Rhoads last year. There is no excuse for it happening twice.

notsureifserious-jpg.64335

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
It won't be his last year even if we go 0-12.
Jamie will be able to sell a ridiculous amount of tickets next year on the new stadium alone.

We couldn't afford to buy him out anyway...lol

lets just gets some sleep and tackle tomorrow.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I think the generalization of the lowly FCS is overplayed now. Winning 25 in a row is quite an achievement, and NDSU could beat a lot of FBS teams with their level of execution today. We still should not have lost by 20.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I think the generalization of the lowly FCS is overplayed now. Winning 25 in a row is quite an achievement, and NDSU could beat a lot of FBS teams with their level of execution today. We still should not have lost by 20.

The only thing I would caution is who they have beaten in FCS.
ISU
Minny
K-State (they are very juco heavy and don't play well the 1st 1-2 games of the season)
KU when they really sucked.

I would like to think if they played anyone that isn't in the bottom 1-2 of the league would beat them.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Iowa today in year 14 of the KF era and a team some have predicted to sneak into the playoff this year nearly lost to an FCS team and one could argue a worse FCS team. Now Iowa won but UNI beat themselves they had 17 penalties for 120yds! I don't mean to be that guy that brings up Iowa but for comparison sakes. Don't get me wrong I'm pisssed and I think our team has regressed everywhere but losing to an FCS team that could beat 50-60% of all FBS teams isn't the end of the world.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
The only thing I would caution is who they have beaten in FCS.
ISU
Minny
K-State (they are very juco heavy and don't play well the 1st 1-2 games of the season)
KU when they really sucked.

I would like to think if they played anyone that isn't in the bottom 1-2 of the league would beat them.

Caution is a better way to put it. They can play, and look good against lower level Power 5 teams. But honestly, just thinking about it for a moment, that is an amazing achievement for an FCS team. They keep stepping up to the plate and taking them down.

A lot of good FBS teams were built on inferior talent and impeccable execution. Starts to show why the generalization that an FBS team should never ever lose to an FCS team is way overplayed.

ashmore

Sep 9, 2013
Iowa today in year 14 of the KF era and a team some have predicted to sneak into the playoff this year nearly lost to an FCS team and one could argue a worse FCS team. Now Iowa won but UNI beat themselves they had 17 penalties for 120yds! I don't mean to be that guy that brings up Iowa but for comparison sakes. Don't get me wrong I'm pisssed and I think our team has regressed everywhere but losing to an FCS team that could beat 50-60% of all FBS teams isn't the end of the world.

iowa didn't almost lose. They just didn't put them away. Let Johnson loose on 3 HUGE pass plays, but other than that the panthers had something like 50!yds rushing, and completed less than half of their passes.

for crying out loud, this is our own stink. We had our ***** kicked. nothing would suggest CPR should even be mentioned in the same breath as Kurt Fuuruntz

Last edited by a moderator:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
You just have to lower your expectations for football and jump on the Hoiberg train. It's the only way to stay sane as an ISU fan. Long term football success just isn't in the cards.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
You just have to lower your expectations for football and jump on the Hoiberg train. It's the only way to stay sane as an ISU fan. Long term football success just isn't in the cards.

This x1000. I just don't understand everyone on this board. Have you not been paying attention? ISU ISN'T A FOOTBALL SCHOOL. Never has been, never will be. Was I disappointed today? Of course I was. Was I surprised? Absolutely not. And I'm not calling for anyone's head...it just is what it is. I've come to expect this. It makes the years we actually play well all that more exciting.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This x1000. I just don't understand everyone on this board. Have you not been paying attention? ISU ISN'T A FOOTBALL SCHOOL. Never has been, never will be. Was I disappointed today? Of course I was. Was I surprised? Absolutely not. And I'm not calling for anyone's head...it just is what it is. I've come to expect this. It makes the years we actually play well all that more exciting.
Rhoads has gotten worst every year. The fact is UNI and NDSU have better programs. Hire Varley for crying out loud. The program would improve by leaps and bounds

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
We suck. Always will. Even by ISU standards, if we match the best season we've ever had, (9-3) we still suck by other programs' standards. We will always suck by any practical standard. We will never be better than mediocre. You can be apathetic or you can care adamantly, it won't change anything. Just accept we will always suck and your life will be much more enjoyable. Learn how to have fun and care about a bad football team and you will hit the jackpot of life.

I'm having a blast tonight with some friends despite the game. Tomorrow I'll still be defending the clones and looking forward to next weeks

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The worst part of today is the game being over early enough to come home and watch some other games, seeing what a competent football team looks like.