Please Apply

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I like how people are now absolutely HATING on Rhoads' extension, but it's exactly what the fanbase wanted just a few years back. How many meltdown threads were there worrying about Rhoads leaving because he was such a hot coach. brought ISU from the depths of despair up to being a a halfway decent team. Feel free to be ****** at Rhoads for a variety of reasons(recruiting, game planning, on field behavior), but bashing on his contract is pretty stupid considering how many Cyclone fans were very happy that we were able to keep him at the time. How quickly perceptions change.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I don't think the issue is recruiting, does NDSU or UNI out recruit us? No they just play disciplined football. It's discipline and it's hard to teach it when your coach can't even control himself on the sideline or in press conferences. Discipline is horrid.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think the issue is recruiting, does NDSU or UNI out recruit us? No they just play disciplined football. It's discipline and it's hard to teach it when your coach can't even control himself on the sideline or in press conferences. Discipline is horrid.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you instill discipline in your team when you don't have any yourself? Rhoads unfortunately reminds me of Fran McCaffrey.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
The Rhoads extension is exactly what fans wanted.

We don't even need an AD. Let's just do what the fans want!!

We can start a poll on CF on every major decision to be made.

Pollard gets a pass because he does what the common fan wants? That seems beyond silly. He's making a ton of money to be really good at things like hiring and extending the contract of the football coach in the most beneficial manner for the University.

He certainly pooped all over this one.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Pollard gets a pass because he does what the common fan wants? That seems beyond silly. He's making a ton of money to be really good at things like hiring and extending the contract of the football coach in the most beneficial manner for the University.

Pollard doesn't get extension that season.

Paul Rhoads leaves for another school.

Fans blow up we lose Paul Rhoads.

Fans love whoever JP hires.

Whoever JP hires has 3 wins last year and loses by 20 to NDSU opening day.

Fans wonder what would've been had JP given Rhoads an extension.

It doesn't matter who the coach was last year OR this year, the talent is just that ******. And it isn't getting better.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I like how people are now absolutely HATING on Rhoads' extension, but it's exactly what the fanbase wanted just a few years back. How many meltdown threads were there worrying about Rhoads leaving because he was such a hot coach. brought ISU from the depths of despair up to being a a halfway decent team. Feel free to be ****** at Rhoads for a variety of reasons(recruiting, game planning, on field behavior), but bashing on his contract is pretty stupid considering how many Cyclone fans were very happy that we were able to keep him at the time. How quickly perceptions change.

I don't think everyone wanted it. Several of us expressed displeasure in terms of dollars and length. Seemed excessive to many.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Isn't Rhoads getting paid less than our basketball coach? And fans were complaining about how much he was getting paid? No wonder we can't get a good coach here.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado

Who pays the athletic department budget and by extension the head coach and AD salaries? The fans. Fan/booster sentiment(via merchandise and ticket purchasing) weighs huge on the mind of all ADs, not just ISU. If the AD makes a decision the fans like, chances are they'll get more pumped up for games, and buy more ISU merchandise. That's the way of the world my friend.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I don't think everyone wanted it. Several of us expressed displeasure in terms of dollars and length. Seemed excessive to many.

Rhoads is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12. Yes even less than Charlie Weis. It stands to reason that we're likely going to get one of the worst records in the big 12, no?

Apr 19, 2006
Rhoads is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12. Yes even less than Charlie Weis. It stands to reason that we're likely going to get one of the worst records in the big 12, no?

That and the lowest budget and worst recruiting beds in the nation. That's why I hope Mangino gets a shot as he and Snyder are about the only two coaches to do it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Rhoads makes an average of $2 mil/year.

Kliff Kingsbury's new contract pays him an average of $3.5 mil/year.

We can't compete money-wise for a football coach if we're going to pay up for a basketball coach (who deserves it) when our budget is the smallest in the Big 12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron