Templeton Rye recipe is a fake

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes, as we know already, its distilled in Indiana.

Article in the Register says its not even the "secret recipe."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...nge-labels-clarifies-much-made-iowa/14770045/

"Though Templeton Rye is not distilled according to the Prohibition recipe, Bush and Underwood on Wednesday framed their whiskey as a tribute to and celebration of the town of Templeton and its legendary bootlegging past, not a product from it.

"The whiskey is not the most important thing," Underwood said. "The town of Templeton is the most important thing, and the state of Iowa. The whiskey almost is the afterthought. It helps. It brings this to life."

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I bet a lot of people are going to jump off the bandwagon. The story is made up, the scarcity was made up, they don't do anything other than bottle a stock recipe.

I still like the stuff, but am not going to be paying more than 30 bucks for it, I'll stick with some Elijah Craig, now that's some good stuff.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I never really was a person who drank anything based on the story. I usually drink something because I like it and the value I get from it. I have purchased Templeton in the past, but usually for a novelty or a party. There have always been plenty of better whiskey out there for a better price.

I'm not saying Templeton is bad, mainly, I'm a bourbon drinker, so rye whiskey is usually an afterthought for me anyways.

I don't know, I don't always get the hate that's on this site for Templeton. You either like the taste, or you don't. The story shouldn't really matter, should it?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I get a kick out of how this is such an issue suddenly. It' been distilled in Indiana for the better part of two years now. Actually - more like it's been distributed from the Indiana distilling for nearly two years.

Regarding changing the label...
"Why we didn't do it, I can't answer that," he said.

Seems simple. Had a good thing going, realized that much of it was due to the mystique of the story, history and locale - prices went up a bit, demand due to short supply skyrocketed and they tried to fill the gap and cash in.

Last edited:

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Loved their YouTube video showing the old lady carefully applying labels to a tray of bottles, as if production was about 12 bottles per day.

Apr 19, 2006
If you've ever had the "real" stuff you would have known that. The real stuff will make Blum grow hair in places he can't grow hair. :eek:

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
If you have ever known anyone from the Templeton area that can get you a taste of the "real stuff", you can tell a difference.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I get a kick out of how this is such an issue suddenly. It' been distilled in Indiana for the better part of two years now. Actually - more like it's been distributed from the Indiana distilling for nearly two years.

Regarding changing the label...
"Why we didn't do it, I can't answer that," he said.

Seems simple. Had a good thing going, realized that much of it was due to the mystique of the story, history and locale - prices went up a bit, demand due to short supply skyrocketed and they tried to fill the gap and cash in.

Two years? It's never been made in Iowa.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
If you've ever had the "real" stuff you would have known that. The real stuff will make Blum grow hair in places he can't grow hair. :eek:

If you have ever known anyone from the Templeton area that can get you a taste of the "real stuff", you can tell a difference.

The real stuff is excellent. I just came across some a couple of weeks ago.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Two years? It's never been made in Iowa.

I believe it originally was/is.

Back when we couldn't find it anywhere (remember all the "there's 8 bottles at the Hy Vee on Grand" threads) - then all of a sudden every store across the state routinely had 20 cases.

But you're right - in either case it was much longer than 2 years when they started sourcing from Indiana. The artcile I just read from the Chicago Trib was from 2010.

I'm old - the years roll together.

Last edited:

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
The real stuff is excellent. I just came across some a couple of weeks ago.

How do you get your hands on the "real stuff?" Is that what they call the "small batch?"

I think many of us have known Templeton Rye distills in Indiana for years (I've known that since 2010 or so), but what I'd like to know is how can I get my hands on the original recipe? I'd like to try it. Thanks in advance.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
How do you get your hands on the "real stuff?" Is that what they call the "small batch?"

I think many of us have known Templeton Rye distills in Indiana for years (I've known that since 2010 or so), but what I'd like to know is how can I get my hands on the original recipe? I'd like to try it. Thanks in advance.

By knowing someone who knows someone. Its not legal.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

By knowing someone who knows someone. Its not legal.

What Cyby said. You have to know people. It's a don't ask, don't tell relationship.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

Walk into the church and find the 3rd pew on the right, place a $50 in the hymnal on page 33, wait a week, then go to cemetery, and find the grave of Mae Josephine Coughlin. In one of the flower holders will be your quart jar.

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
not (totally) :) sure if he was serious or not, but somewhere around here I have a pic of a headstone in the Ireton, IA cemetery where my great uncles used to hide the stuff.

I get a charge out of all the romanticism about the bootleggers etc. Especially when people brag about ancestors / neighbors etc being bootleggers and then go on and on about the "good ole days."

If they knew them, really knew them, they MAY not look back so fondly at people that ran with/for people like A.C. I used to kinda think it was cool to come from a family of former rum runners, but not quite so much anymore. Not so long ago I rubbed shoulders with a fella in an old folks home originally from the canton, SD/ Inwood Ia area. We enjoyed swapping stories about the old times that our respective families had passed down. He told me that he had met A.C's guys when his oldest brother tried to get away from a bootlegger gang. (Not a G rated story). There was a nurse in the hall that commented when I left, "ya you can't believe anything Pete says......" What she didn't know was that many many years back I'd heard vague "yarns" about the incident from MY family members but when I heard this fellas perspective of what happened to his brother and father, well, maybe Grandpa TN was right, that uncle Joe and his bros weren't really very nice folks at all.

yah I know (as you younsters like to say) cool story bro ? :)

guess I'll have to find that picture of the headstone with the secret compartment:)

Totally thought you were going to go further with that.
el

Last edited:
Reactions: RotatingColumn

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
http://www.kcci.com/news/templeton-rye-now-facing-classaction-lawsuit/28230996

DES MOINES, Iowa —A Chicago law firm is suing Templeton Rye, alleging that the Iowa company broke consumer protection laws and misled drinkers with stories of its whiskey's origins.

The class-action lawsuit was filed in Cook County Circuit Court in Illinois on behalf of "all individuals in the United States who've purchased a bottle of Templeton Rye."

It comes after news in August that the whiskey is made using the stock recipe in an Indiana distillery, according to the Des Moines Register.
Since the company released its first bottles of whiskey in 2006, its marketing materials have said the founders were inspired by the Prohibition-era recipe of Alphonse Kerkhoff, handed down through his family on a scrap of paper.
But in an interview last month with the Register, company chairman Vern Underwood said federal regulations prevent the company from making the whiskey using the Kerkhoff recipe.

The company also announced plans to begin printing on its labels that the whiskey is distilled in Indiana.
According to the lawsuit, Templeton Rye worked to deceive drinkers into believing "the good stuff" was a craft whiskey made in Iowa.

The complaint includes pictures of the company's marketing tools, including a T-shirt that reads, "Templeton Rye: Made in Iowa."