20 reasons college football is better than the NFL

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
#16? "the trees are poison-free now"
Aren't they gone? I thought they removed them entirely.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Russillo had a good quote today on his show... You can predict most of what will happen in the NFL and NBA, no one cares about baseball, but college sports are a toss up for the most part every year and thats what makes it great.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
It kind of stinks that there is no more crystal football trophy for the champion.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I could only think of 3 reasons why NFL is better than college, but they are big ones.

1. Teams have equal opportunity to win.
2. There's a champion at the end of the year.
3. Less cheating.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I feel the same way about college football as some people do about their kids - I love them both equally for different reasons. The quality of play is superior in the NFL, but the unpredictability and surprise factor is better at the collegiate level.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Russillo had a good quote today on his show... You can predict most of what will happen in the NFL and NBA, no one cares about baseball, but college sports are a toss up for the most part every year and thats what makes it great.

I disagree with Russillo as far as the predictability in the NFL (NBA yeah I can see that)...but give me the NFL 1,000 over college football. Any team has a shot to win any given Sunday (QUE Willy Beaman) which is why I can watch any NFL game. College sports in general are just the appetizer for me...I'd much rather watch the best of the best in the NFL/NBA over a college game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The surprise factor is there for college football, but not really part of the big picture, since it really is the same teams winning the championships over and over and over.

Since 1950, only 27 teams have won the national title, counting the years with split championships. It's not really that unpredictable overall.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I could only think of 3 reasons why NFL is better than college, but they are big ones.

3. Less cheating.

2 is also true in college. Not in the playoff sense, but still a champion.

& 3 is debatable.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Reading through the list, I couldn't help but notice that the SEC was mentioned or pictured in half of their examples and the Big 12 got a picture of Bevo. I know, SEC is god, but still.

I'm also a much bigger fan of college sports. In general, fans have a vested interest in their teams, versus just living in the area that the team resides. Plus, upsets are a ton more fun.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

3. Less cheating.

I just find the NFL to be less gimmicky...no polls or voting, no worries if your team drops the last game of the season to drop them from the #1 ranking...just the cream rising to the top over the course of a long season and fighting it out in the playoffs.

AND if your team is just horrendous, have a good draft and do it better the next year. Iowa State will never be able to match Alabama but horrible NFL teams are 1 good QB from contending the next year.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
NFL is stale and boring. Bunch of cookie cutter nonsense. Only real difference between rooting for one team over another is its colors and logo.