SR Interview from Monday

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I just watched the interview from Monday. I really impressed with Sam's confidence in the offense, I know execution is proof. I just truely believe this team is going to better then the boards are thinking, health will be key, but I foresee success. Saturday will tell a lot, but I feel like we have a lot to prove, and the team knows it......

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I just watched the interview from Monday. I really impressed with Sam's confidence in the offense, I know execution is proof. I just truely believe this team is going to better then the boards are thinking, health will be key, but I foresee success. Saturday will tell a lot, but I feel like we have a lot to prove, and the team knows it......

I agree. Sam obviously sounds excited about teaming up with Montgomery again too. Like you said, if the offense stays fairly healthy, Sam could lead it to a lot of success.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

Before the season last year I remember thinking Sam was playing on a whole nother level offensively. I had been told that by somebody around the program, and Woody made it sound like that. The problem was he didn't have the offensive line or the OC for that to matter, and obviously his injuries were a problem. Now he's healthy, has a great OC, and the o-line should be better. On top of all of that, word is he's better than he ever has been.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I do not know if the offense will have a great day against NDSU. Our defense will need to come to play to stop the run. This means a lot of help from the home crowd will be needed on third down.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Here's something I would like to see: an actual "Jet" tempo. When we ditched the traditional huddle, it was replaced with: check out of every play and stare at the sideline until a delay of game penalty. <-- That makes me want to tear my hair out.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Here's something I would like to see: an actual "Jet" tempo. When we ditched the traditional huddle, it was replaced with: check out of every play and stare at the sideline until a delay of game penalty. <-- That makes me want to tear my hair out.

That's because No Huddle =/= Jet Tempo.

But I will give you that I'd like to see some faster stuff :yes:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Will Mangino go back to the huddle at all?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

I'd like rather we huddle and decrease the possession count.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
^Duh. I know that Jet tempo requires no huddle.^

What I'm saying is that so far, our offense has been anything but "Jet." You prevent the defense from substituting, but checking out of every play really slows momentum. Don't let them catch their breath. Don't allow them time to analyze your alignment. The offense under Rhoads has been very reactionary to the defense instead of the other way around.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I'd love to see ISU return to power football like Stanford & NDSU. Ryan Koch was fun to watch at the goal line. Unfortunately, this program is typically a "follower" in its conference. And right now, no huddle spread is what's in vogue. The offense is almost always struggling with an identity crisis. What is Cyclone football? Too often it's mediocrity.

Hopefully Mangino can establish an identity of "fundamentally sound" & "smart." Fewer penalties and solid execution would be wonderful.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

You are referring to what I like to call 'Meerkat Manner.' Where everyone looks at the Mess baffled and confused, like meerkats. I don't blame them though. I couldn't believe what I was seeing either.

Please refer to this for further study reference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerkat

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Agreed. Teams like iowa state need to drag the game out as long as possible. Run the ball, control the clock, play bend but don't break defense. We have had the defensive part of that but our offense hasn't been good at running the ball and the quick tempo doesn't help.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
^Duh. I know that Jet tempo requires no huddle.^

What I'm saying is that so far, our offense has been anything but "Jet." You prevent the defense from substituting, but checking out of every play really slows momentum. Don't let them catch their breath. Don't allow them time to analyze your alignment. The offense under Rhoads has been very reactionary to the defense instead of the other way around.

True, but lining up also allows us to analyze their defensive alignment too. With Mangino in the box, we actually have someone who could actually analyze and not hide under their desk like I imagine Messingham doing when he was up there.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
There's certainly been a different aura this entire fall, and it's been all positive. Even the coaches seem confident. This is as much a mental game as anything and there seems to be a full court press on to instill confidence. Just hope it's real and taking hold...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree with swathmore, let's not be afraid to kill a little time on offense, and minimize the # of plays our defense has to be on the field. Unless going quick makes the offense more effective...

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Don't care whether we go huddle or jet, I just want to see an offense that knows what they are doing. Way too much helter skelter and palms in the air the last few years before snaps.

Help Support Us

Become a patron