Mangino and Burnham interviews from page 1...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Really looking forward to this offense for so many reasons. While I won't be able to point out anything we're doing differently since I just watch the games with passion, I feel comforted by MM's words of growth. While I'd love to see 10+ more points per game, my expectation will be for consistent ball movement regardless of the opponent. I can't envision a scenario where MM just doesn't know how to call a game to move the ball but whether it results in points will ultimately be execution when it matters.

Defense... Wally and CPR both said the next snap for the safeties will the the FIRST snap for the safeties. Not the first start - but the first SNAP any of them has ever taken. Same with the depth there. Wally was expressing concern (something we've all been talking about - some see it as a strength while some see it as a weakness) about the middle of the defense from the DL to LBs to DBs to safeties. Didn't say we were soft up the middle, just inexperienced. I've read most of the arguments about whether we'll be better (can't believe that by losing 2 starters, losing experience, losing to injury what was touted as a key piece of this year's defense anyone thinks we're better) but my expectations are for many yards to be given up again. Not seeing a bend don't break but foreseeing lots of breakage. That's why I'm excited to see MM's offense provide a different look.

God I hope so anyway!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just remember, that "touted as a key piece" was pretty much "touted" by fans, not the coaches.

All the coaches ever said was that he could help in the middle.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
With Mangino, I feel that gone are the days of being "out coached" by the opposing DC.

If the offense sputters it's because the players didn't execute on the field or they have much better players.

We will no longer be at a strategic disadvantage.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
It's been awhile since I've been excited about football...this week has really ramped it up for me. I am realistic and don't expect too many wins this year, but I feel good about the staff and it seems they've got good plans in place. Whether it's executed is another topic...

Bummed I'm going to miss the first game, but being on a golf course isn't too bad of an exchange.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am Excited for the Season to Start

I think this team has potential to really surprise people and get 6-7 wins.

Our offense has experience and talent at many skill positions. If we get solid QB play it will be a fun season.

I like our defense because there has been strong competition at positions where we have new starters. DT is the position that concerns me the most, but its not like those guys need to make tackles, but be stong in the middle to free up our LBs. I feel we are much better at DE this year with Morrissey, Meyer, Taylor, etc. These guys have great motors and we are bigger and stronger than last year. At LB we should be more physical at MLB with kids like Meeks, Seely and Harris. Miller, Knott and Brackins all played signicant snaps last year and should be improved. I like our CB in Tribune, Richardson and Lynn. At safety we will be young, but will probably be better in pass coverage.

Lastly the biggest improvement to our defense, might be our offense. Last year nearly 50% of our offensive possessions were 3 & outs- the 2nd worst in D1. Our defense will play better if it's out there less.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Everything Wally was concerned about last year came to fruition. I think when he is talking about concerns they are legit. I also have hopes for the offense but I expect the interior d to be bad until proven otherwise.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's interesting how DT is such a worry for most non-elite teams like ours. Grow your boys to be big tough dudes and make it the easy way at d'tackle, I guess. It's the hardest position on the field outside of Qb to fill year after year.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
What is giving me some hope about our D is it seems Wally is gonna roll the dice and let em go. We will see a lot more pressure this year. Also, we will be playing a run stop 4-3 first 3 games and not the standard Wally nickel. All we need to do is get 2-3 wins first 8 games and we have shot at 6 wins.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I like CPR's consistent refrain of us being healthy and fresh. I think he is really sold on the Catapult GPS devices and maybe conceding that we were overworked going into the UNI game last year. I am not expecting a full miracle this year but I do expect a very strong "wait until next season" positive vibe.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Re: I am Excited for the Season to Start

I think this team has potential to really surprise people and get 6-7 wins.

Our offense has experience and talent at many skill positions. If we get solid QB play it will be a fun season.

I like our defense because there has been strong competition at positions where we have new starters. DT is the position that concerns me the most, but its not like those guys need to make tackles, but be stong in the middle to free up our LBs. I feel we are much better at DE this year with Morrissey, Meyer, Taylor, etc. These guys have great motors and we are bigger and stronger than last year. At LB we should be more physical at MLB with kids like Meeks, Seely and Harris. Miller, Knott and Brackins all played signicant snaps last year and should be improved. I like our CB in Tribune, Richardson and Lynn. At safety we will be young, but will probably be better in pass coverage.

Lastly the biggest improvement to our defense, might be our offense. Last year nearly 50% of our offensive possessions were 3 & outs- the 2nd worst in D1. Our defense will play better if it's out there less.
You hit the nail on the head!:yes:

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
If the offense could keep the ball for a few first downs, the defense would be in much better position. Rested and field position.

Cypower69

Sep 4, 2013
Iowa City, IA
I am pumped for next Saturday. I don't think we need to judge the offense on +10 more points a game or whatever. The big thing for me is they have to move the ball and can't have 3 and outs. They are killer. I feel like this will be a bowl season but that could just be me.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Everything Wally was concerned about last year came to fruition. I think when he is talking about concerns they are legit. I also have hopes for the offense but I expect the interior d to be bad until proven otherwise.

My thoughts exactly.

If Wally is concerned about our defense right up the middle, then so am I. He said that is his biggest concern, right up the middle, because we are thin at interior DL with all the defections, we're starting a MLB that's never played a down for us, as well as 2 safeties that haven't either.

We could get severely gashed up the gut. If we don't, I look for the defense to do ok. But if we can't stop the run up the middle, it will be a very long season.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
What is giving me some hope about our D is it seems Wally is gonna roll the dice and let em go. We will see a lot more pressure this year. Also, we will be playing a run stop 4-3 first 3 games and not the standard Wally nickel. All we need to do is get 2-3 wins first 8 games and we have shot at 6 wins.

This could lead to winning some games we shouldn't due to generating lots of turnovers, and/or getting destroyed in some games by giving up so many big plays. Time will tell I guess.

I'm pretty worried about the first 3 games in particular, because they're all power running teams. They're going to want to go right where we are weakest, right up the middle.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If our offense stays on the field and the guys on the interior stay healthy, we're more than fine.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I've yet to see that defense even though the last few years Wally (or CPR) has mentioned getting after it more. I don't think it's in Wally's DNA.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The Roland story offense might put up big numbers vs our d.

What's more scary is our inability to score against them during scrimmages.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron