Mangino in the press box?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
Personally, I'm fine with him coaching from wherever he is most comfortable. Just wanted to get the fanatics view on Mangino's decision to coach from the press box.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I always like when the coach is on the sideline. IMO, its easier to explain stuff to the players and it shows respect to the players.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I always like when the coach is on the sideline. IMO, its easier to explain stuff to the players and it shows respect to the players.

Don't really agree with the bolded; being in the pressbox just allows the coordinator to use his skills in a different way. There is a better view from up there and he can undoubtedly watch the plays develop better and see what all 22 players on the field are doing in a play.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Don't really agree with the bolded; being in the pressbox just allows the coordinator to use his skills in a different way. There is a better view from up there and he can undoubtedly watch the plays develop better and see what all 22 players on the field are doing in a play.

I just think that if the players are out there, the coaches can be, but the pressbox has many positives, most importantly the one you describe. Like others have said, in the end, I really dont care where he coaches from, as long as we are moving the ball.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Personally, I'm fine with him coaching from wherever he is most comfortable. Just wanted to get the fanatics view on Mangino's decision to coach from the press box.
That is all that matters. Mangino has likely proven his worth already and can choose to manage his staff and squad however he is most comfortable. If the offense is bought in, they won't care where he is. If the offense hasn't bought in, then trivial things like this may matter, but that's unlikely.

Cypower69

Sep 4, 2013
Iowa City, IA
Mangino can do what we want. All I know is Mess bounced around from the sideline to the press box and I would bet a lot of money that he will do his best ISU coaching from his couch this year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I prefer my OC in the box. If he's not then Sturdy or Blaney would have to be and I would prefer both of those guys around their positions.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Just as long as he made the decision and not Rhoads. A couple coaches for each unit are always in the box anyway, so even if he was on the field he'd still probably have Blaney or Sturdy upstairs.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
IMO this is best case scenario. OC, Mangino, in the box, and QB coach, Sturdy, down on the field.

Better view to call plays from above, and if there's a QB issue he can talk to Sturdy, and Sturdy can relay the message to the QB. Sturdy should have the best relationship with the QB's, so communication should be simple.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I just think that if the players are out there, the coaches can be, but the pressbox has many positives, most importantly the one you describe. Like others have said, in the end, I really dont care where he coaches from, as long as we are moving the ball.

I'm just confused by this. It's not like he'd be in there because it's nicer and has controlled climate while the players play in the conditions. He's there to gain a competitive advantage over the opposing team by seeing the whole field and what they're doing.

On a different note, do you think he ever conveys to our defense what he sees with their offense? It feels like the defensive coordinator is always on the sideline while the offensive is in the box.