Great article on Morris w/quotes from Trey Burke and Izzo

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006

Rapplegt

Apr 7, 2006
Good article, but it seemed to end rather abruptly. I was expecting more closing analysis.
Should be a great year for Monte and the team.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Starting Monte to NBA? thread shortly

Or a thread that call people haters for not thinking he's ready for the NBA.....seriously though, thanks for sharing. I wasn't totally sold on Monte right away last year but he made huge strides. I'm comfortable with Morris against any PG in the country. If last years incoming national FR class hadn't been so loaded, Morris would've gotten a lot more national pub.

not to take anything away from Freddie and Co but ISU was very fortunate that a couple key events happened to get Morris out of his home state.

Last edited:

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
for michigan, yes. but parker and man man play different positions so the comparison seemed odd unless MSU was limited on rides.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Forgot we have Monte Morris as our PG for about the past three weeks. Lol we are frighteningly talented not even including the "unknowns" like Nader and Mckay.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I like Izzo's reference to sometimes holding out for one and two, and three and four can turn out just as well. He also benefited in that scenario by landing Marvin Clark. While we held out hoping to get "you know who", we lost out on a darn good recruit that fell into Izzo's lap late. But's that the nature of the recruiting game as they say.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Let's hope Izzo doesn't try and steel Morris from us next season. Great article on Morris. I'm excited to see what he can do this year. Sounds like he (and the rest of the team) have been working really hard. I wonder if he has another breakout year if he stays to test the waters? I thought I read somewhere during his recruitment that he only wanted to stay in college 2 years.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2014/08/trey_burke_tom_izzo_takes_noti.html#incart_river

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Not a Hawkeye fan but Monte reminds me most of BJ Armstrong while he was playing for Iowa..

He's made vast improvement, became much more comfortable on the floor, and had great mentors with Ejim, Kane, etc

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I am curious to see if MM can take the next step even though he will not have Kane as a backcourt mate. Morris should be individually improved next year, but we may not see an increase in game performance with a cursory look.

Kane-Morris, Blalock-Stinson, JT-Nurse-Horton...in the college game having multiple pg/lead guards can really give you an advantage. I guess we have Custer, but physically that is a vulnerable backcourt.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I am curious to see if MM can take the next step even though he will not have Kane as a backcourt mate. Morris should be individually improved next year, but we may not see an increase in game performance with a cursory look.

Kane-Morris, Blalock-Stinson, JT-Nurse-Horton...in the college game having multiple pg/lead guards can really give you an advantage. I guess we have Custer, but physically that is a vulnerable backcourt.

I think you are forgetting someone.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

If you are talking about the entire back court, you are forgetting Long and BDJ who are big and physical. If only PG's, then Morris and Custer are on the slight side. However, Niang will bring the ball down court on occasion, as well a initiate the offense in half-court.

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
If you are talking about the entire back court, you are forgetting Long and BDJ who are big and physical. If only PG's, then Morris and Custer are on the slight side. However, Niang will bring the ball down court on occasion, as well a initiate the offense in half-court.

I'm confused as to what you are concerned about. Are you worried about Morris or Custer having to guard a Kane/Smart type of guard? That sort of physicality? Luckily we won't have to worry about too many of those types of players. Plus with BDJ and Houge's ability to guard multiple positions, Fred is going to have a bunch of options to work with.

The only team I see us having personnel issues with on paper would be Kentucky but I don't think there is a D1 team that wouldn't have a problem matching the depth they have.

Help Support Us

Become a patron