Left out of ESPN's Big12 this week preview show?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Probably because we are not one of the top 8 teams, and, to be honest, what does talking about our football team add to the show?

Gotta earn respect to get respect.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We won 3 games last year, and the media is predicting us to have 4 wins at most this year. What's to talk about?

Gotta earn respect to get respect. Kind of like the basketball team has done over the last 3 years. They earned respect, so they get respect.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Probably because we are not one of the top 8 teams, and, to be honest, what does talking about our football team add to the show?

Like TCU who for some reason everyone thinks is going to be good this year? They won the same number of conference games as us last year.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
On ESPNU last night, and a lousy show. I was expecting a breakdown of every team.
Texas, Baylor, & OU were discussed the vast majority of the hour segment.

Iowa St was barely mentioned. KU was picked among the lower 1/3 of the conference to possibly make a bowl game

The show was boring and a joke. OU was called 'overrated'

Expect nothing less from ESPN, who licks the butts of the Big 10 and SEC. It was like this three-man panel was knocking the Big12 for an hour, and predicting a mediocre season

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We won 3 games last year, and the media is predicting us to have 4 wins at most this year. What's to talk about?

Gotta earn respect to get respect. Kind of like the basketball team has done over the last 3 years. They earned respect, so they get respect.
We are not talking about rankings here or thinking there should be a positive outlook on the season.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

That's a ******** argument for a preview show though. Sure you'll spend more time on the projected leaders. But since when would a preview of a conference not even mention everyone in the conference?

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I already banned myself from watching ESPN for awhile last night because of that show. It was turrrible. Unless you have a reason to pimp a certain ESECPN conference because you own that network.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The B12 needs a legit, concrete network that's as accessible and broad as the BTN instead of this Longhorn crap.

The BTN has been showing enough footage to make it seem like Rutgers has history in the conference, and that Indiana has something to be excited about in football this year, because they spend so much time talking about each team/school.

It's fun getting a fix by watching old games, but I refuse to believe Indiana/Northwestern from 2007 or whatever is 'Classic College Football'.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

Pretty sure Arkansas and Kentucky are getting plenty of air time/mentions between the ESPN networks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Pretty sure Arkansas and Kentucky are getting plenty of air time/mentions between the ESPN networks.

There's a lot more notable football history at Arkansas than we can dream of.
Kentucky has had some fun recent teams in between the bad ones, with guys like Tim Couch and Jared Lorenzen making real names for themselves there.

We should have been mentioned, but only Cyclone fans will really notice. Gotta get some wins and notoriety to change that.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
There's a lot more notable football history at Arkansas than we can dream of.
Kentucky has had some fun recent teams in between the bad ones, with guys like Tim Couch and Jared Lorenzen making real names for themselves there.

We should have been mentioned, but only Cyclone fans will really notice. Gotta get some wins and notoriety to change that.

Not disagreeing with you on that point, but the preview is going to be primarily based on recent history and expectations for this year. A preview show isn't going to be a history of a team's accomplishments. My point was that the bottom feeders of the SEC in 2014 are getting a lot more air time than the bottom feeders of the Big 12. I get it though. You want people to watch...people want to hear about the good teams. You're also going to get a lot more eyeballs with discussion of a bottom feeder SEC team than a bottom feeder Big 12 team.

The OP's main point though was that if you're doing a "conference" preview, you should at least acknowledge all teams in the conference even if the air time isn't equal.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Not disagreeing with you on that point, but the preview is going to be primarily based on recent history and expectations for this year. A preview show isn't going to be a history of a team's accomplishments. My point was that the bottom feeders of the SEC in 2014 are getting a lot more air time than the bottom feeders of the Big 12. I get it though. You want people to watch...people want to hear about the good teams. You're also going to get a lot more eyeballs with discussion of a bottom feeder SEC team than a bottom feeder Big 12 team.

The OP's main point though was that if you're doing a "conference" preview, you should at least acknowledge all teams in the conference even if the air time isn't equal.

And if they did cover us, a bunch of people would then complain that the time wasn't equal, or that the coverage wasn't optimistic enough, or...you get the idea.

The only way to please everyone is for the football team to stop being mediocre and earn respect.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
On ESPNU last night, and a lousy show. I was expecting a breakdown of every team.
Texas, Baylor, & OU were discussed the vast majority of the hour segment.

Iowa St was barely mentioned. KU was picked among the lower 1/3 of the conference to possibly make a bowl game

The show was boring and a joke. OU was called 'overrated'

Expect nothing less from ESPN, who licks the butts of the Big 10 and SEC. It was like this three-man panel was knocking the Big12 for an hour, and predicting a mediocre season

When we have a big12 network affiliated with espn you will like espn again. The problem is that espn knows the big12 has a good relationship with one of their competitors, FoxSports. Why would anyone expect espn to spend very much time pimping a product they don't have exclusivity with? You can argue the big ten network, but espn WANTS their audience. Big12 is small market fly over country. That's just the reality of it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I agree with your general point. I'm only offering a reason from their perspective, or a possible one.
We should have been on there, with whatever it is they would plan to say. That's like real work, though, and these experts don't put in that kind of work.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree with your general point. I'm only offering a reason from their perspective, or a possible one.
We should have been on there, with whatever it is they would plan to say. That's like real work, though, and these experts don't put in that kind of work.

A big 12 preview show should at least say that we are going to help make someone else bowl eligible!