United Airlines - "Not a nut free airline"

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am always surprised on airlines when they hand you peanuts. Some airlines have switched to pretzels, but not all.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm just perusing - did she have a reaction to someone else just having the nuts open or actually eating them herself?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
She ate them herself.
I don't know much about peanut allergies. My first thought is that there wouldn't be a problem on the return trip if she just didn't eat them again, but I could be very wrong on that.

one would think. Then again, I used to work with someone who had a nut allergy, and they claimed they couldn't even be in the same room. Even shaking hands with someone who'd eaten a nut was dangerous because of the possibility of transferring the oil. She was pretty dramatic, so I never really believed her, but I guess you never know.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Certainly sympathetic to the condition, but the airline can't cater to every possible need. I guess I'm kind of on the fence. Tough question.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My wife is a teacher and its pretty serious I guess. You can't even be near someone with peanuts.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
one would think. Then again, I used to work with someone who had a nut allergy, and they claimed they couldn't even be in the same room. Even shaking hands with someone who'd eaten a nut was dangerous because of the possibility of transferring the oil. She was pretty dramatic, so I never really believed her, but I guess you never know.

I had a soldier whose allergy to poison ivy would legitimately flare up anytime we went to the field at Camp Dodge. Good soldier, but Camp Dodge has way more poison ivy than he could ever handle. I could believe that there's more to it than just ingesting them, but if her allergy was that bad, it seems like a request that they could make in advance.

And, of course, they could not give her the peanuts.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

there was a girl who died, I believe, from kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a PB&J sandwich.

In this case, if the girl only had an allergy to eating them - then parents need to be parents and not let her eat them. If it's a "person across the aisle eats them and I go into anaphylactic shock" thing, that I can understand. But then how do you ever go out into public? That sucks, but I don't know how you can expect everyone else to never eat or have contact with nut products.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I had a soldier whose allergy to poison ivy would legitimately flare up anytime we went to the field at Camp Dodge. Good soldier, but Camp Dodge has way more poison ivy than he could ever handle. I could believe that there's more to it than just ingesting them, but if her allergy was that bad, it seems like a request that they could make in advance.

And, of course, they could not give her the peanuts.

according to the article, they didn't know she had an allergy to nuts.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Serving peanuts seems like such an unnecessary risk to take when you could just give out crackers or pretzels or whatever instead. It's a pretty common allergy these days.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
according to the article, they didn't know she had an allergy to nuts.

ok, I thought I read that too. So the airline was supposed to anticipate her allergy? So should they not include dairy, seafood, nut, or egg products in any of their in-flight meals then either? Because someone may discover an allergy in-flight?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Serving peanuts seems like such an unnecessary risk to take when you could just give out crackers or pretzels or whatever instead.

southwest gives out mini packs of golden oreos and ritz bitz. Yes please.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Unfortunately, there is no solution to any of it. Switching to pretzels does not help, as some people are allergic to that as well. My nephew had allergies to EVERYTHING. Corn, peanuts, wheat, rice, milk, and soy. He could only eat a special formula, potatoes, fruit, and meat for the first 4 years of his life. He has outgrown a couple of his allergies, but still has to get tested every year to see if he has improved.

If you go by that alone, you would never be able to serve anything anywhere, as there is bound to be someone allergic to it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Because we save people with peanut allergies. Semi jimlad but our gene pool is getting weaker.

Allergies and sensitivities are dramatically on the rise. Supposedly cause you city kids don't get exposed to the right kind of dust and dander. And clean freak parents.

As Marie Antoinette said, "let them eat dirt"

Help Support Us

Become a patron