1700 The Champ’s “Out of Boundsâ€￾ outta here after this week

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Have to admit, even with its limitations (i.e….Cotlar) it was nice have a local sports radio show during midday. That will end after today. According to the guys today, they indicated that CBS Radio is pushing affiliates to cover the full 3 hours of Jim Rome. The Champ was only airing the last hour in favor of Out of Bounds from 11-1:00. That ends after this Friday.

Sounds like Andy Garmin will be done with radio after that point, but never fear! Larry Cotlar will move to a new show, “The Zoneâ€, from 4-6 with some guy I’ve never heard of. As an aside: sounds like he is working to line-up Rick Pitino as his first guest so they can breakdown the upcoming Drake men’s BB season.

The good news is the current network CBS radio show they had been carrying on 1700 was unlistenable IMO. Not even sure who they were…but I tried periodically to listen and it as really bad, clichéd filled national sports radio. In the past, if Miller and Brinson had nothing going on (or Cards were playing) on KXNO, I usually just flipped to music. Now at least there will be a chance for some alternative local sports talk from time-to-time during drive time. I’m sure Pollard will probably show up there periodically (since I don’t believe he’ll do anything with Miller).

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Have to admit, even with its limitations (i.e….Cotlar) it was nice have a local sports radio show during midday. That will end after today. According to the guys today, they indicated that CBS Radio is pushing affiliates to cover the full 3 hours of Jim Rome. The Champ was only airing the last hour in favor of Out of Bounds from 11-1:00. That ends after this Friday.

Sounds like Andy Garmin will be done with radio after that point, but never fear! Larry Cotlar will move to a new show, “The Zone”, from 4-6 with some guy I’ve never heard of. As an aside: sounds like he is working to line-up Rick Pitino as his first guest so they can breakdown the upcoming Drake men’s BB season.

The good news is the current network CBS radio show they had been carrying on 1700 was unlistenable IMO. Not even sure who they were…but I tried periodically to listen and it as really bad, clichéd filled national sports radio. In the past, if Miller and Brinson had nothing going on (or Cards were playing) on KXNO, I usually just flipped to music. Now at least there will be a chance for some alternative local sports talk from time-to-time during drive time. I’m sure Pollard will probably show up there periodically (since I don’t believe he’ll do anything with Miller).

"The Morning Rush," "The Zone,"... we can only hope that a show on one of these stations gets cancelled so we can get afternoons with "The Sports Animal."

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I will miss listening to them on my way to/from lunch because they seemed to have quite a few interviews with coaches. Never anything heavy, but it was nice to hear so many different ISU coaches talk.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
More consolidation in the radio industry as costs are cut and mergers are made.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
They should pair Cotlar up with Marty Tirrell and let the sparks fly although would have to have them in separate studios and someone on standby with the censor button :twitcy:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Local is good but I feel like I get a good dose of local sports from Murph & Andy. Dan Patrick and Jay Mohr are also good for what they are. KXNO has it covered from 8:00am through 4:00pm with those three shows. Before and after that it is garbage though, especially Miller & Brinson.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd rather listen to a classic CyFan podcast than listen to Out of Bounds. I hope KXNO Morning Rush is the next local show to get shown the door. Rather listen to The Cats Meow podcast than that shill sell out garbage.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Everyone has completely different opinions on all shows, so it's hard to really judge how this will go over. I personally am a huge Rome fan, but also a Jay Mohr fan...so now I can choose on the day who has better guests/topics ect.

Also like being able to flip local talk at 4.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
With Cotlar beginning a new show at 4 pm - it's good that Bulldog Nation will still have something to listen to... My first thought when I heard the news they were shutting it down is how bad I felt for Drake fans.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
The guy Cotlar will be paired with was on Out of Bounds this week, and I thought he did a good job. I wasn't paying too close attention, but he was much better than Cotlar (not saying a lot).

Garmin is a Hawkeye 100%, but you won't find a nicer guy in the business and he's not over the top. He's also an Iowa graduate unlike Jon Miller, so not surprising.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
For those talking about Miller and Cotlar having sparks, is that true? I thought it was Tirrell and Cotlar that had the on-air curse fest.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You could pair the greatest entertainer in the world with Larry Cotlar, and it would still be a bad show. He is the sports radio equivalent of lima beans.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Is Matt Perrault available? Let's bring back Giggles so he can face the music about how wrong he was about Hoiball.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm really surprised anybody would listen to either of those two on the radio. And certainly not together. Yuck

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
You could pair the greatest entertainer in the world with Larry Cotlar, and it would still be a bad show. He is the sports radio equivalent of lima beans.

I agree. I think he's the single-worst guy I've ever heard on radio. And with Brinson, Tirrell, Perault having been on in this market, that is saying a lot.