Camp Insider: Mitchell Meyers earns starting DE spot

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'd love to know what "playable" means for Rhoads. Is "playable" he's going to play for us because we have no one else better than him, or is "playable" he can do some work in the Big XII. I don't look at our line and think these boys are all Big XII ready. Hopefully I'm wrong.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
When's the last time we had 2 260+ lb starting DE?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
When's the last time we had 2 260+ lb starting DE?

I'd wager to say... never

Looking back 10 years we had 1 player, 1 time listed right at 260 lbs - Rashawn Parker in 2009. The other years he played he was listed for less, so I'd say the one time someone rounded up.

Really hoping DE can be a source of strength right away this season and make lots of big plays.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
So it is looking like our starting DL will be:

Mitchell Meyers - 6'4'', 262
Brandon Jensen - 6'5'', 303
Devlyn Cousin - 6'2'', 291
Cory Morrissey - 6'4'', 260

As someone else mentioned that is some good size

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
So it is looking like our starting DL will be:

Mitchell Meyers - 6'4'', 262
Brandon Jensen - 6'5'', 303
Devlyn Cousin - 6'2'', 291
Cory Morrissey - 6'4'', 260

As someone else mentioned that is some good size

Yeah, but then what? Doesn't sound like White is really ready, so Pierson and Taylor are the 2 deep at DE. And that's an ok top 4 barring injury. Garcia and Aka/Trent backing up in the middle. Which is again ok barring injury. Come on knee braces, do your job this year.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
The backups (Taylor 250# and Pierson 260#) are pretty good size as well. Best "looking" DE group we've had in a long time. Hopefully they can perform that way.

Interior DL still concerning. At minimum we need Garcia to play big and beyond his years, and Aka to be serviceable.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'd love to know what "playable" means for Rhoads. Is "playable" he's going to play for us because we have no one else better than him, or is "playable" he can do some work in the Big XII. I don't look at our line and think these boys are all Big XII ready. Hopefully I'm wrong.

When did you look at our line?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

What do you mean by "do some work"? I'd really like to know what that means. :jimlad:

FWIW, I take playable to mean they can throw him out there and won't have to carry him off the field on a stretcher after a few plays. Maybe similar to how Henry Simon played when he just showed up on campus late.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My son got Aka's autograph while he was at the Ames Golf & Country Club, working a junior golf tournament this summer. He looked VERY cut.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I can not comprehend how people just write off the defense as a lock to be insanely bad. Go check out our defensive lines from our bowl teams. Go look at our safeties. This line is just as good as them and definitely deeper.

Can the defense really be worse than last year? I don't think so.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Trey Scott said he expects to see Trent Taylor in on a lot of 3rd down situations since he is more of a pass rusher. I really think the D-Line will be better than people are giving them credit for

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Trey Scott said he expects to see Trent Taylor in on a lot of 3rd down situations since he is more of a pass rusher. I really think the D-Line will be better than people are giving them credit for

Pierson as well is a guy whose strength is pass rushing. I think Jenson and Cousin are going to be solid inside for us, while not as disruptive as Irving and Coe. But I would be shocked if those two aren't twice as disciplines as Coe and Irving.

If the DTs can just hold their ground and eat blocks and Morrisey, Pierson, Taylor, and Meyers can be a source of disruption, I think we can have an average BCS defense and make a run at a bowl. I don't think that is so far fetched.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Hope he has a chance to get into the game...........

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'd wager to say... never

Looking back 10 years we had 1 player, 1 time listed right at 260 lbs - Rashawn Parker in 2009. The other years he played he was listed for less, so I'd say the one time someone rounded up.

Really hoping DE can be a source of strength right away this season and make lots of big plays.

I don't know about the 260 part but he was all of 5' 10".

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the middle linebacker will be the biggest indicator of how this defense will be. We need a bad ***. Someone that just tears things up at full speed, spits them out and asks for more. I think the d-line will hold it's own, same can be said for the secondary.

Last edited by a moderator: