Lazard Ranked as 2nd Best Big12 Freshman by ESPN

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Awesome. I was reading a magazine that had him ranked 7th. It also said we had the worst recruiting class in the Big 12, which I also disagreed with. No way our class was worse than the Kansas class.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Awesome. I was reading a magazine that had him ranked 7th. It also said we had the worst recruiting class in the Big 12, which I also disagreed with. No way our class was worse than the Kansas class.

Actually, as much as I hate to say it, Kansas does have four 4 star recruits this class of 2014. No idea why they would want to play for Kansas, but overall they do have a better recruiting class. Individual talent-wise though, Lazard is better than their freshman IMO.

Exciting to see him up there! How much does everyone think he'll play? Will Lazard have a chance to start by second half of the season?

BodeClone

May 15, 2014
This kid is a gamer, he's a baller and a game changer. All he will do is help us win a lot more games this year. Get ready for some fun ladies and gentleman!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Actually, as much as I hate to say it, Kansas does have four 4 star recruits this class of 2014. No idea why they would want to play for Kansas, but overall they do have a better recruiting class. Individual talent-wise though, Lazard is better than their freshman IMO.

Exciting to see him up there! How much does everyone think he'll play? Will Lazard have a chance to start by second half of the season?

Depends on how many multiple WR sets they run this season. I'd guess Bundrage and Montgomery are going to be the top two wideouts plus Bibbs and West have to get their opportunities, but if Lazard is anywhere near as good as advertised then Mangino is going to have to find a way to get him on the field.

From an individual stats point of view, what would you consider a successful freshman campaign for him? I was kicking that around with a friend the other day and we settled somewhere around 20-30 receptions, 250-400 receiving yards, and 3-5 TDs. I'd be thrilled with that kind of production from a true freshman.

Last edited:

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

I'm going to say 33 catches for 482 yards and 4 touchdowns with 102 YAC. If I'm exactly right, you all owe me a beer.

He's going to get his time and play quite a bit. Expect big things out of him for his sophomore season.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Depends on how many multiple WR sets they run this season. I'd guess Bundrage and Montgomery are going to be the top two wideouts plus Bibbs and West have to get their opportunities, but if Lazard is anywhere near as good as advertised then Mangino is going to have to find a way to get him on the field.

From an individual stats point of view, what would you consider a successful freshman campaign for him? I was kicking that around with a friend the other day and we settled somewhere around 20-30 receptions, 250-400 receiving yards, and 3-5 TDs. I'd be thrilled with that kind of production from a true freshman.

I think I agree with you on somewhere between 300-400 yards. Number of TDs depends on how he is used. Could we get some redzone corner fades to our tall WR's? If that is the case, I could see him and Montgomery with a higher number of TDs. Anything north of 500 rec yards, would be absolutely amazing.

The staff hasn't really talked as much about him as they have about other players. I'm kind of curious if that is because:
a. He has not had as many practices as the other players.
b. He still has a lot of work to do (learning the plays).
c. He is doing great but they want to keep people's expectations tempered.
d. He has been great and will play significant minutes from day 1 (maybe not as a starter), but want to keep it under wraps until season starts (secret weapon!)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Ah yes, football season is most certainly approaching as the statement "no way we are worse than Kansas" begins to reappear.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

My prediction is he'll dissapoint the people who don't know football, or ISU's recieving core, very well.

Would be real happy to see around 20 catches.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think I agree with you on somewhere between 300-400 yards. Number of TDs depends on how he is used. Could we get some redzone corner fades to our tall WR's? If that is the case, I could see him and Montgomery with a higher number of TDs. Anything north of 500 rec yards, would be absolutely amazing.

It might not be a fair comparison but when I tried to think of other highly touted freshman WRs the first name that came to mind was Dorial Green Beckham at Mizzou a couple years ago. His stats as a true freshman - 28 catches, 395 yards and five tds. If Lazard approaches those kind of numbers we should be thrilled with both his individual progress and the future of the offense.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm going to say 33 catches for 482 yards and 4 touchdowns with 102 YAC. If I'm exactly right, you all owe me a beer.

He's going to get his time and play quite a bit. Expect big things out of him for his sophomore season.

That's going to be a disappointing end to the season when he grabs 11 for 225 and 3 TD against NDSU.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think it's going to be a weird kind of stat line for the Lizard. I think he's going be a decoy between the 20's but get lots of red zone looks:

30 catches
300 yards
7 TD's

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Here's my guess at his stats:

15 catches, 125 yards and 2 TDs. I think that he's going to be a decoy and run mostly short routes. Not that I agree with using him this way...just seems like coaches always seem to be really stubborn when it comes to big time recruits.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I think it's going to be a weird kind of stat line for the Lizard. I think he's going be a decoy between the 20's but get lots of red zone looks:

30 catches
300 yards
7 TD's

That is exactly what I'm thinking. He'll see more red-zone action than anything.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Todd Blythe had 39 catches for 883 yards and 9 TD as a freshman, so it's not unheard of for a true freshman from central Iowa to make a huge impact. Lazard has more talent around him, so I wouldn't expect those numbers. But if he's as good as his recruiting ranking, I'd expect him to grab at least 5 TDs.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Todd Blythe had 39 catches for 883 yards and 9 TD as a freshman, so it's not unheard of for a true freshman from central Iowa to make a huge impact. Lazard has more talent around him, so I wouldn't expect those numbers. But if he's as good as his recruiting ranking, I'd expect him to grab at least 5 TDs.

Blythe was a redshirt freshmen