Preseason AVCA poll - ISU unranked

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
WI is too low. They are going to be crazy dangerous this year.

We don't deserve to be ranked based on our finish last year and what we need to replace. The AVCA Challenge is going to be tough for sure.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We don't deserve to be ranked based on our finish last year and what we need to replace. The AVCA Challenge is going to be tough for sure.
Cannot wait for the Stanford match - hope there's a huge crowd waiting for the Cardinal...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Ack, just reminded me of the final match here in Mpls against Colorado. Only one I saw in person last year and I was a little shocked even after watching many of the other matches on Cyclone TV. We just looked listless and out of sync. Hope the new setter can get things rolling and glad she got to play this spring and that they had their Europe trip to practice.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Yea, I feel better about the setter position. I feel like we have some pretty good attackers; I'm just worried about the libero and defensive positions.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yea, I feel better about the setter position. I feel like we have some pretty good attackers; I'm just worried about the libero and defensive positions.

yep, if we can get any kind of blocking going, the libero issue won't be as much of a concern.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
yep, if we can get any kind of blocking going, the libero issue won't be as much of a concern.

That was huge last year. Hahn had to keep us in games. I hope our defense at the net can be much better to help bring these new players along. In addition to Stanford, playing #13 FSU, and at #12 Minney early in the season will allow this team to get noticed right away, bad or good.

Our service game has to continue to be tough. Losing Hahn will hurt there. I wonder which of the new players has a killer serve? Bigbee got better as the season went on, and Kuhrt can be very good.

Side note, why are we playing in Cedar Falls in back to back years?

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That was huge last year. Hahn had to keep us in games. I hope our defense at the net can be much better to help bring these new players along. Playing #13 FSU, and at #12 Minney early in the season will allow this team to get noticed right away, bad or good.

Our service game has to continue to be tough. Losing Hahn will hurt there. I wonder which of the new players has a killer serve? Bigbee got better as the season went on, and Kuhrt can be very good.

Side note, why are we playing in Cedar Falls in back to back years?

completely vague recollection my part but I was thinking that Branen girl was supposed to be a good server. Wouldn't put money on that being a correct recollection, however.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
hmmmmm, I'm not seeing any evidence to back that up. Conaway has 160 aces, but I'm not sure if that's four years of varsity and what the per set would average out to be.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
completely vague recollection my part but I was thinking that Branen girl was supposed to be a good server. Wouldn't put money on that being a correct recollection, however.

In watching John Walter's 2014 Media Day Special interviews, Branen Berta seems to be a very confident young woman. I hope she can back it up.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
The play of the team last year did not in any way reflect the level of talent. That was plain to anyone who attended the games. There were issues on that team, and lets hope that is now history, especially with the new personnel.

Speaking of new personnel, we needed to become more athletic all around in order to compete with the big dogs. I think we are getting there; the recent recruits are a big plus in that regard. Plus everything I have read about our new setter gives me confidence, although this is a tougher conference.

There are questions with this team, but I am cautiously optimistic. And in Christy I trust. I am confident of one thing and that is we will be ranked by the end of the season.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Can you translate? Haven't the foggiest idea what you are referring to.

After making the Elite Eight in '87 and Sweet 16 in '88 (his first two seasons), they "only" reached the 2nd round in their next six trips (from '89 to '97). This was simply unacceptable. He was basically run out of town, being told after the '98 season that his contract (which ended after the '99 season) wasn't going to be renewed.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
After making the Elite Eight in '87 and Sweet 16 in '88 (his first two seasons), they "only" reached the 2nd round in their next six trips (from '89 to '97). This was simply unacceptable. He was basically run out of town, being told after the '98 season that his contract (which ended after the '99 season) wasn't going to be renewed.

Thanks for that. My history does not go back that far. In this instance though, I think there is a lot, and I mean a LOT, of support for Christy; if nothing else, look at her recruiting class and look at the "adjustments" made after last season was over. In Christy I trust.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Exactly. CJL is too good of a coach to let that happen. She has JP's full support until she leaves or retires. The only things in ISU volleyball history worth mentioning happened during her tenure here. We'll also most likely be adding sand volleyball next fall soley because of her.