It is either a donut or roll.. Don't make it so difficult

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This seems like a perfect Sunday topic and was reminded of this pet peeve I've mine this morning while picking up a Bismark from QT.

I get to the register, and the cashier asked if I had a regular or big donut in the bag.

huh? It is a Bismark, it is a not a donut. Donuts have holes in the middle of them. That why we have donut holes.

Anything that is not a donut, is a roll. (BTW....QT lists this correctly as "rolls" on their signage, so this was a cashier thing, not QT's).

I noticed this awhile ago in our cafeteria at work. In the area they keep the donuts and rolls, they posted a sign with the prices of donut and "big donuts".

I'm curious now. Is this just a central Iowa thing or does this odd confusion exist elsewhere as well? I grew up in Minneapolis/northern Iowa and never came across this until locating to central Iowa.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Actually in my opinion you are wrong. A donut is a breakfast food with frosting or a glaze on it.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
I'm not sure how to describe my categorization of donuts other than I lump Long Johns, Boston Creams, and Jelly-filled all in the "donut" category. Rolls include things like cinnamon buns, that don't have the donut taste and feel.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Actually in my opinion you are wrong. A donut is a breakfast food with frosting or a glaze on it.

I agree that a doughnut need not have a hole in the middle of it. For example: Cream, custard, and jelly fillings in doughnuts are common - would you call those "rolls" for some strange reason?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm not sure how to describe my categorization of donuts other than I lump Long Johns, Boston Creams, and Jelly-filled all in the "donut" category. Rolls include things like cinnamon buns, that don't have the donut taste and feel.

I think you're describe a cake donut vs a yeast donut (usually glazed donuts). The shape and hole make them a donut...not the taste or feel IMO.

http://rvoshare.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/cake-and-yeast/

BTW...this link does somewhat go against my initial argument as they lump filled "donuts" in with traditional ring donuts.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's a donut.

A doughnut or donut is a type of fried dough confectionery or dessert food. The doughnut is popular in many countries and prepared in various forms as a sweet snack that can be homemade or purchased in bakeries, supermarkets, food stalls, and franchised specialty outlets. They are usually deep-fried from a flour dough, and typically either ring-shaped or without a hole and often filled.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A donut is a doughnut.

A Danish is a Danish.

A fritter is a Danish that fell into the deep fryer. Unlike the chocolate falling into the peanut butter, this is NOT a good thing.

A muffin is muffin.

A scone is scone.

Every other pastry is "pastry thingie", as in "Gimme one of those long nasty looking pastry thingies with the sprinkles stuff on it." Long Johns, Bismarcks, fruity turnovers etc are all pastry thingies.