2014 Incoming ISU FB Freshman Notes

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I thought that I’d start a place to collect notes on all of the ’14 football reshmmen. We’ve heard a lot about all of the JC transfers, but mentions of the incoming frosh are a little harder to come by.

For example, I’ve heard Jevohn Miller and CPR mention that Reggan Nortrup and Cole Anderson were “picking up things quickly.

Then there was the mention that Martinez Syria and Michael Warren are new best friends, and calling themselves “Thunder and Lightningâ€.

Finally, I picked up a passing mention by CPR from his Sunday press conference:
“So yeah we've been trying to add to the size of our guys. In this particular class, though, Orion (Salters) and Jauan (Wesley) are not. They're smaller, shiftier guys and I'm very excited about what they've done in training camp.â€

Not sure if they'll play this year orr not, that might depend on how well Damien Lawry is doing behind Jarvis.

So, anyone else picked up any tidbits on the freshman noobies? :biggrin:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
CW slipped this goodie in, and I almost missed it:

And here is something that you won’t read on any mainstream news outlet’s website. For you diehard Fanatics, I asked Sturdy to give me his first impression of true freshman Darius Lee-Campbell.

“He came out of a spread system so it is day one stuff with him,” Sturdy said. “We’re checking his grip. Checking how he throws the ball. I usually just kind of let it ride for a while so I can get a feel for his style and get a feel for how his ball comes out of his hand, just different things like that. We are experiencing with some things now and this is the time to do that with a young player.”

An interesting statement, and I'm not completely sure what to make of it, other than "He's not ready to go this year". Thanks, Chris!

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
I am probably not the only one that watches what is going on in the background of the videos posted on CycloneTV.com. On one video (in the backgrround) there was a receiver absolutely flying down the field. I had to check my jersey numbers. It was Orion Salters. I think he will develop into a "Aaron Horne" type receiver.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I am probably not the only one that watches what is going on in the background of the videos posted on CycloneTV.com. On one video (in the backgrround) there was a receiver absolutely flying down the field. I had to check my jersey numbers. It was Orion Salters. I think he will develop into a "Aaron Horne" type receiver.
Hopefully an "Aaron Horne" type receiver that catch catch the ball on a regular basis...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Unfortunately, I have problems with Neulion vids when they run, and don't have a video downloader that will handle that format.

Thanks for the note, though. The kid is a whole lot faster than I expected when he committed. Future returner, too, I think.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
I am probably not the only one that watches what is going on in the background of the videos posted on CycloneTV.com. On one video (in the backgrround) there was a receiver absolutely flying down the field. I had to check my jersey numbers. It was Orion Salters. I think he will develop into a "JJ Moses" type player.

fify - no offense to Horne, but let's set the bar higher

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

bigsag = Aaron Horne ???

:shocked:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
CW slipped this goodie in, and I almost missed it:

An interesting statement, and I'm not completely sure what to make of it, other than "He's not ready to go this year". Thanks, Chris!

I've been quietly hoping that Run DLC is going to be the real deal for us down the road, so this comment by Rhoads leaves me a bit worried about him. Says they are working on how to grip the football, etc. Hopefully they really like what they see out of him and just want to get his mechanics all right before proceeding much further with him?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I've been quietly hoping that Run DLC is going to be the real deal for us down the road, so this comment by Rhoads leaves me a bit worried about him. Says they are working on how to grip the football, etc. Hopefully they really like what they see out of him and just want to get his mechanics all right before proceeding much further with him?

Hence the reason they recruited him.