#1 Concern

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Concerned about Mangino's comments about the OL still having "a ways to go". Hope they light a fire under their butts the next 2 weeks, because we have a LOT of talent in the WR, TE, QB and RB core. But they can't do squat if the OL doesn't do theirs. Hope they put on their Big Boy pants and prepare for NDSU like it's a Big 10/12 type match up, because it will be.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
mark's comments help keep things in perspective. we all want to believe that simply having a new coach stroll onto campus is going to turn our program around, but it's going to take time. there will be growing pains. our offense probably won't look all that great this season. But hopefully we are rapidly moving in the right direction. Our guys are learning a new system, but at least it's a proven system that our coaches are installing properly and everyone will be on the same page going forward.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Sounds like it was constant blitzing with 3rd and 4th running backs in the backfield.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Our offense will be markedly better than last years. Mangino knows how to talk to the press. He wants his oline to keep focused. He didn't say they were bad he said they did well but still need to improve.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What did you expect? That in 9 months the line would become dominant, and even if it did, that Mangino would say "we are ready to go" more than two weeks before the start of the season?
It is silly to get too down or too excited over such normal rhetoric.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
What one should keep in mind is that Coach Mangino has always been an "OL guy". Sort of along the lines of how Coach Rhoads spend time with the DBs. Anywhere that Coach Mangino has been successful, he has had a very good offensive line. I suspect that his standards are high (for this group) and he will be pushing to make sure that they reach acceptible levels of performance.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
mark's comments help keep things in perspective. we all want to believe that simply having a new coach stroll onto campus is going to turn our program around, but it's going to take time. there will be growing pains. our offense probably won't look all that great this season. But hopefully we are rapidly moving in the right direction. Our guys are learning a new system, but at least it's a proven system that our coaches are installing properly and everyone will be on the same page going forward.
"Wait till next year" for our offense is the last thing any CF wants to hear. We've heard that 10 years in a row now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
My #1 concern is still the DL. I still fear we won't be able to stop the run. I hope to God I'm wrong.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

We have been waiting for years for the offense to jell. It sounds like it is still jellin'

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
"Wait till next year" for our offense is the last thing any CF wants to hear. We've heard that 10 years in a row now.

Partially because we've had about 5 coordinators in that time period. And when we get a good one, they leave.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Partially because we've had about 5 coordinators in that time period. And when we get a good one, they leave.

That shouldn't make us feel very comfortable about having another brand new OC then, correct?

And no, I'm not being critical of your assessment at all because I think you are exactly right about all the OC's we've ran through here. But with that being said, it will likely be another year or two before we get accustomed to what Mangino wants to do as well, right?

So are we expecting too much out of Mangino in year one? I think that is a very good question. I think we will see improvement though because by all accounts, Mangino has greatly simplified our system. He would rather do a small number of things VERY efficiently and well executed than a large number of things poorly IMO.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What one should keep in mind is that Coach Mangino has always been an "OL guy". Sort of along the lines of how Coach Rhoads spend time with the DBs. Anywhere that Coach Mangino has been successful, he has had a very good offensive line. I suspect that his standards are high (for this group) and he will be pushing to make sure that they reach acceptible levels of performance.

This. From Mark's perspective it's possible that he expects his o-line to be the best in the conference and won't rest until they are. There's always room to improve, and in year one of Mangino the offense will probably be significantly better in mid-October than they are in week one. That's not necessarily the case with each football team.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
This. From Mark's perspective it's possible that he expects his o-line to be the best in the conference and won't rest until they are. There's always room to improve, and in year one of Mangino the offense will probably be significantly better in mid-October than they are in week one. That's not necessarily the case with each football team.

Agree with this. Heck, I'd be happy if we consistently can open holes for Wimberly and Nealy. If they become the best in the league then so be it. One thing we should always have ( from recruiting in the Midwest) is a good OL at ISU.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
My #1 concern is still the DL. I still fear we won't be able to stop the run. I hope to God I'm wrong.
Agree.

After re-watching the Texas game today, I think this is going to be a year of what-ifs. Had we returned an improved Coe, Irving, and Kron to go with adding Juco's like Pierson, Taylor, and a healthy Ayeni, we would have had a decent group imo.