CFTV: Paul Rhoads 8-16-14 scrimmage recap

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sounds to me like it will likely be Sam as the starter. Unless the video tape shows him something he didn't see in person.

Sounds like the defense did well, which is kinda surprising, but it didn't sound like Wimberly or Nealy saw much action.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Was that Peterson that actually asked Rhoads when he said "40 yd FGs and in"..... if he was talking about the distance of FG or where the ball was at on the field?

He does realize that if the ball is on the 40 yd line, that is 57 yd FG, right? C'mon Peterson, you have to be smarter than that.
You do realize that Netten kicked a 56 yarder in the Spring, right?

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Any updates on Dale Pierson? The news on Taylor is awesome, Meyers played really well at the end of last season so if Taylor is challenging him, that's great.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You do realize that Netten kicked a 56 yarder in the Spring, right?

Rhoads says he wants our kickers to be consistent and comfortable from 40 yds and in. Now if you think he means from the 40 yd line and in (which is a 57 yd FG), then you have different standards for our kicking game than any coach in America would have for their kicking game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Any updates on Dale Pierson? The news on Taylor is awesome, Meyers played really at the end of last season so if Taylor is challenging him, that's great.

I think Wally said that Pierson will give us some minutes on passing situations, so that is good to hear.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Rhoads says he wants our kickers to be consistent and comfortable from 40 yds and in. Now if you think he means from the 40 yd line and in (which is a 57 yd FG), then you have different standards for our kicking game than any coach in America would have for their kicking game.

I'm willing to take consistency from anywhere.
I assume that he means 40 yard FGs on in, but it's a decent point that consistency from 50+ is an awfully high standard.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I saw a tweet that said "Cyclone Defense doesn't allow any TD's to first team offense."

And the first thing that came to my mind was "Wow. Our offense is that bad?"

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I didn't say any such thing. Just pointing out that Peterson's question wasn't as unreasonable as you made it out to be.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm willing to take consistency from anywhere.
I assume that he means 40 yard FGs on in, but it's a decent point that consistency from 50+ is an awfully high standard.

yep. i'd much rather have a kicker who was automatic on <40 yards than a sporadic kicker who could hit them from 55+. Just don't attempt the long field goals...

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I saw a tweet that said "Cyclone Defense doesn't allow any TD's to first team offense."

At this point the defense has probably seen every play the offense is going to run, and knows them just as well as the offense. The defense is eventually going to overtake the offense, its just natural.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

It is raw footage from a post practice scrum. Clarification of comments is part of a reporter's job. Being upset about stuff like this is why no one takes you seriously.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

After seeing CPR and MM speak, I wouldn't read into it too much. They put the OL into some "high pressure situations" on purpose today, so it may not mean much about who scored and who didn't, although it does sound like we need the OL to step up a little more before the game starts by MM's comments. Actually, I am happy to hear that our young Front 7 is holding their own and tackling well.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sure sounds like Sam won the job at QB. Not so much that Rohach did anything to lose the job; Richardson just had a hell of a good summer and passed him.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

That sux. The oline may still be the weakest part of the team.:SLEEP:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It is raw footage from a post practice scrum. Clarification of comments is part of a reporter's job. Being upset about stuff like this is why no one takes you seriously.

You've got to be joking, right?

When Rhoads states that he wants our kickers to be consistent and comfortable from 40 yds and in.... nobody in their right mind that follows football at all would ask that question. Sorry. It's a really stupid question to ask.

A 40 yd FG is a 40 yd FG. Always has been and always will be. It's NEVER talked about from where the line of scrimmage is at. I don't think Rhoads demands our kickers to be consistent and comfortable from 57 yds and in. C'mon here people. I don't think I'm being overly harsh here. It was just a dumb follow up question by a guy that is well known for dumb questions. Heck, Fred always makes fun of Peterson and his dumb questions.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
At this point the defense has probably seen every play the offense is going to run, and knows them just as well as the offense. The defense is eventually going to overtake the offense, its just natural.
For the first offense not to score under any situation is not a good sign for NDSU. It may take awhile to have an offense.