Little League World Series 2014

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Been a fun year so far.

Anyone who just watched the South Dakota game, what a tough way to lose. Bad call by an ump cost them a massive comeback.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
I love watching the little league world series, I was I would have played little league so I could have tried to go there. This year I want to the team from the Great lakes region to win.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I love watching the little league world series, I was I would have played little league so I could have tried to go there. This year I want to the team from the Great lakes region to win.

That Chicago team is impressive. Reminds me of something from Hardball.

Kind of a cool fact, people say that the MLB isn't doing enough to get young kids interested in baseball. This team was actually created by an MLB-sponsored project to keep kids off the streets and playing baseball instead. Might be the most talented team EVER.

I'd love to see them face off against Mo'Ne, and I think there's a good chance of that happening now.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
For anyone that didn't get to see the last play of the South Dakota game that eliminated them:

Down 2 runs, runners on first and second. Full count, kid hits a chopper right up the middle. Centerfielder guns it home, kid from second tripped in between third and home, gets up, runs around the catcher and scores. Umpire calls him out of the baseline, BUT the catcher never had control of the ball, so technically the kid was legal to run around the catcher to get to the plate.

Goes to review, and the LLWS officials decide that it's a judgement call. Since the ump called the kid out, it stands, and SD lost.

Poor kids going to remember that forever, and it really wasn't even his fault. Just a bad call by the ump. And I feel bad for the ump, because he was in a tough position to make the call as is.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
People here in Chicago are paying more attention to this Little League team than the Cubs or Sox. They are fun to watch.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah...her fastball isn't even what impresses me. Her curveball is crazy.

It'll be interesting to see how she transitions into softball. Two completely different motions.
She wants to be a WNBA player.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
This Canada v. Venezuela game opened up at Venezuela -1.5. Was down to a pick me by first pitch. Crazy.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm not sure there is anyone that could hate the LLWS. Baseball pretty much at its finest.

I agree with this. I like playing baseball, but I don't watch MLB at all anymore (used to be a die hard Cubs fan, now sadly I'm a fair weather fan). But LLWS is baseball at it's best. So much emotion in it, great to watch.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
That Chicago team is impressive. Reminds me of something from Hardball.

Kind of a cool fact, people say that the MLB isn't doing enough to get young kids interested in baseball. This team was actually created by an MLB-sponsored project to keep kids off the streets and playing baseball instead. Might be the most talented team EVER.

I'd love to see them face off against Mo'Ne, and I think there's a good chance of that happening now.

I lived in St Louis for a while and volunteer-coached a group of inner city kids in co-ed t-ball through a program put on by the Cardinals called Redbird Rookies. I think almost all MLB teams have similar programs in their city. The Cardinals and Rawlings donated all bats, balls, and gloves that the kids got to keep at the end of the year. They were 4 to 6 years old but the violence and things they'd been exposed to at that age was shocking. Most were from the area about a mile south of Busch Stadium. We practiced in a gym because the field behind the rec center was always either being used for a bigger kids game or homeless people were sleeping on the field.

Part of the program, and there are "leagues" of Redbird Rookies all over the state for up to 10 or 11 y/o, was they had to read X number of books from the library and they'd get rewards and entered into drawings. They met Cardinals players and coaches at a fundraiser. We took them to a Cardinals game at the end of the season, and despite living so close to the stadium--none of them or their immediate families had been to a game unless they worked there.

That was several years ago and I wonder every once in a while what they're up to these days. They'd be in late elementary school or early middle school by now and I hope they've continued playing ball and/or found other positive outlets. The lady running the program was awesome and I was impressed by the parent support, so I left knowing they were in good hands.

/story time

Reactions: ISUCubswin

Help Support Us

Become a patron