CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Nice to see Lazard get some attention. Shocking that he did actually.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Its nice to see the national attention but they are just going by the "stars". They just assume that we don't have much at receiver, which is a little surprising because Bundrage did quite a bit already last year. I think many national pundits have vastly underestimated the receiving group. Lazard will be good I just don't think he'll be able to get the stats with all of the other good receivers.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Its nice to see the national attention but they are just going by the "stars". They just assume that we don't have much at receiver, which is a little surprising because Bundrage did quite a bit already last year. I think many national pundits have vastly underestimated the receiving group. Lazard will be good I just don't think he'll be able to get the stats with all of the other good receivers.
Actually, one of the guys who picked Allen as preseason Newcomer of the Year mentioned wide receiver as one of our strengths, but still thinks Allen will make an impact this year. The other thinks with Allen's size (6-foot-4 and 207 pounds) that he'll be able to see the playing field.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
There were multiple "Bold Predictions" that had the Big 12 missing the playoffs. A few hinted at the lack of a championship game being why. I really don't see this happening. I think our conference is stronger than 2 or 3 of the Power 5 conferences at the moment.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
There were multiple "Bold Predictions" that had the Big 12 missing the playoffs. A few hinted at the lack of a championship game being why. I really don't see this happening. I think our conference is stronger than 2 or 3 of the Power 5 conferences at the moment.

I think the national perception of the Power 5's football ability is in three separate tiers, but with schools in a certain order within each tier:

SEC
---
Pac-12
Big 12
---
ACC
Big 10

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think the national perception of the Power 5's football ability is in three separate tiers, but with schools in a certain order within each tier:

SEC
---
Pac-12
Big 12
---
ACC
Big 10

Pretty much exactly how I had it. If you had to pick one team from each Power 5 to go, who are you picking and which one gets left out? I am thinking Auburn and South Carolina have really easy schedules if Alabama trips and Washington has a schedule in their favor to catch Oregon. Obviously Baylor could knock Oklahoma. Michigan State has the schedule to do it but I see them as overrated every year so I doubt they catch OSU, but I suppose I will go with the following:
In
Sec - Alabama
Big 12 - Oklahoma
PAC 12 - Oregon

Toss Up
Big 10 - Ohio State
ACC - Florida State

I just don't see how the Big 12 misses unless we have a strong competitive season where 8 or 9 teams make post season play and everyone wins around the 6-9 mark.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If B12 misses, there will be a lot of Monday morning qbs airing the laundry.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
Iowa
Pretty much exactly how I had it. If you had to pick one team from each Power 5 to go, who are you picking and which one gets left out? I am thinking Auburn and South Carolina have really easy schedules if Alabama trips and Washington has a schedule in their favor to catch Oregon. Obviously Baylor could knock Oklahoma. Michigan State has the schedule to do it but I see them as overrated every year so I doubt they catch OSU, but I suppose I will go with the following:
In
Sec - Alabama
Big 12 - Oklahoma
PAC 12 - Oregon

Toss Up
Big 10 - Ohio State
ACC - Florida State

I just don't see how the Big 12 misses unless we have a strong competitive season where 8 or 9 teams make post season play and everyone wins around the 6-9 mark.

I could see the media talking up Ohio St, Florida State, Oregon and Alabama especially if they're paired up as Alabama/Ohio St and Oregon/Florida St. The story lines would be better without Oklahoma. Can Urban Meyer finally dethrone Nick Saban and Alabama? Which high powered offense prevails between Oregon and Florida State? I don't see how swapping Oklahoma into any of these slots improves the story lines unless we're talking about Bob Stoops' less than stellar title game performance. Oklahoma would need to go unbeaten and have one of the other four drop a game or two since they all have a conference championship game to compensate for an early season setback.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I could see the media talking up Ohio St, Florida State, Oregon and Alabama especially if they're paired up as Alabama/Ohio St and Oregon/Florida St. The story lines would be better without Oklahoma. Can Urban Meyer finally dethrone Nick Saban and Alabama? Which high powered offense prevails between Oregon and Florida State? I don't see how swapping Oklahoma into any of these slots improves the story lines unless we're talking about Bob Stoops' less than stellar title game performance. Oklahoma would need to go unbeaten and have one of the other four drop a game or two since they all have a conference championship game to compensate for an early season setback.
I think Bama OU rematch beats out any other headline by a mile. I don't think Florida State and Ohio State would really be grabbing any big headlines.

Oct 2, 2012
Iowa
I think Bama OU rematch beats out any other headline by a mile. I don't think Florida State and Ohio State would really be grabbing any big headlines.

Urban Meyer is a walking headline. The media loves that guy for some reason. Idk, I just see a larger case against Oklahoma than the other four unless one of those four slip up. If Oklahoma stumbles at all, then it's lights out because they have zero buffer room. The safest team in the playoffs is the SEC champion - they won't be left out for anyone (barring some strange phenomenon where a team with 2+ losses wins the championship). It'll definitely be interesting to see how this years picks shake out since it's the inaugural season and will set the precedent going forward.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If B12 misses, there will be a lot of Monday morning qbs airing the laundary.

If the Big 12 misses, especially if an 11-1 Baylor or Oklahoma or whoever is left out as the #5 team, the ESPN talking heads will blabber on and on about how it's due to the lack of a conference championship game and how the Big 12 will be at a disadvantage until they get one of those.

It doesn't matter whether the CCG and divisions model or the round robin model is "better" than the other - what matters is that every major conference except the Big 12 does it a certain way, so they all have a vested interest in persuading the media types, and eventually the playoff committee members, that their way is better. They are just louder than we are because of their numbers.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines

SEC
---
Pac-12
Big 12
---
ACC
Big 10
I would rank the Power 5 football conferences:
1. SEC
2. Big XII
3. Pac 12
4. ACC
5. Big 10

That is not a bias against the Big 10. The Big 10 bowl records in recent years is abysmal, and that's a vast understatement. It is very common for the Big 10 to lose every single bowl game or maybe win one or two tops most seasons.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I don't. I hope he's wrong, and we finish higher than he predicts.

Well, obviously. But a 7th place finish would make me happy. 7th place last year was 2-7 (which we technically were tied for), but most years in the Big 12 it's 4-5. A 4-5 conference record would make me happy and put us in a very good chance to make a bowl game since NDSU and Toledo are winnable games and Iowa is even possible. I would be more than happy with a 4-5 conference record with how we're looking this season.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would rank the Power 5 football conferences:
1. SEC
2. Big XII
3. Pac 12
4. ACC
5. Big 10

That is not a bias against the Big 10. The Big 10 bowl records in recent years is abysmal, and that's a vast understatement. It is very common for the Big 10 to lose every single bowl game or maybe win one or two tops most seasons.

Now that Maryland is in the BIG, ACC passed them up.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the Big 12 missing prediction is just wishful thinking for the other monster conferences. Big 12 only conference with round robin. Big 12 only conference that is almost entirely competitive. We could miss because of an evenly spread conference, that would be the only reason. Say we had two teams finish at 10-2.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Anyone thinking the SEC isn't getting two teams in the first Playoff is out of their mind...

I think it is largely dependent on what the records are, both in the SEC and the other Power 5 conferences.

Let's say:

Ohio State is 13-0
Oklahoma is 11-1
Oregon is 11-2
Florida State is 13-0
Alabama is 11-2 and won the SEC
Georgia is 10-3

Then I would guess that, out of that list, Georgia and Oregon would both be left out. Although if the committee buys into the whole conference championship superiority, Oregon could get in ahead of Oklahoma. But my point is that in this scenario, no way the SEC gets two in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron