Notre Dame suspends four starters - academic fraud suspected

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No it doesn't. This just sounds like garden variety cheating by people too lazy to do their work and too self-minded to know how simple it is to catch.

UNC was an institutional setup with a fraudulent academic program conveniently set up for athletes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No it doesn't. This just sounds like garden variety cheating by people too lazy to do their work and too self-minded to know how simple it is to catch.

UNC was an institutional setup with a fraudulent academic program conveniently set up for athletes.

"A source told the South Bend Tribune the scale of alleged fraud is comparable to the highly publicized case at the University of North Carolina and that a former player or players could be tied in as well."

http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_9cc003f6-2499-11e4-81d5-0017a43b2370.html

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, that's embarrassing. Looks like UNC all over again.
I don't know where this will lead, but we all know that top academic universities admit student-athletes, especially football and men's basketball, on a downward sliding academic scale. Most wouldn't have had a prayer of being admitted to these schools if they were a general student. Thus, these student-athletes need intense tutoring and assistance just to survive in classes. Academic fraud, to me, is likely at many of these schools where the football or basketball player have no classes in which to "hide."

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I don't know where this will lead, but we all know that top academic universities admit student-athletes, especially football and men's basketball, on a downward sliding academic scale. Most wouldn't have had a prayer of being admitted to these schools if they were a general student. Thus, these student-athletes need intense tutoring and assistance just to survive in classes. Academic fraud, to me, is likely at many of these schools where the football or basketball player have no classes in which to "hide."

Just exploring that will lead into a wide-ranging discussion about whether athletics are providing opportunities for people that would never have them anyway, or are another way of exploiting people that likely won't receive a lot for their trouble, and why those opportunities could be limited, or appear to be limited, or not be limited at all. That could be a pretty important discussion to have.

In terms of the last statement, I'd put the odds of fraud at a conservative 85-90%, which is sad, because it casts doubt on some student-athletes who don't deserve to have any doubt cast on their own abilities. I don't have any doubt, though, that there are a large number of times that tutors or assistants, or whatever we're calling them today, actually do the assignment for the athletes. That in itself is academic fraud by the university's definition of academic misconduct.

This probably applies to one specific major on campus which doesn't have many athletes, but does have plenty of plagiarists.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Nice start. Now fine them for the money from those years and make this stuff count.

Yeah, I don't really understand what vacating past wins does to really punish ND? Can anyone explain?

If the NCAA finds them guilty of any wrongdoing, then their should be bowl bans and loss of scholarships. However, some would say that it isn't fair to punish the future players for what these players did, but too bad IMO. If you want to transfer out, then so be it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Yeah, I don't really understand what vacating past wins does to really punish ND? Can anyone explain?

If the NCAA finds them guilty of any wrongdoing, then their should be bowl bans and loss of scholarships. However, some would say that it isn't fair to punish the future players for what these players did, but too bad IMO. If you want to transfer out, then so be it.

Agreed. I know people say that it isn't fair to punish future ones, but you can't go punish the past ones. They've all moved on, one way or another.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
A lot of crap has happened at ND since Kelly got there. Glad it didn't work out for him to coach here.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
ND sold out when Lou Holsht went there. Heard from people that standards were lowered for signees to get in. They weren't too happy about it and didn't mind him leaving.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Agreed. I know people say that it isn't fair to punish future ones, but you can't go punish the past ones. They've all moved on, one way or another.

The past is the past nothing you can do change "Really" change it. Only thing you can do is go after the future of the program. Similar to Penn St.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There will be some stories and than some token meaningless "punishment" because, with apologies to George Orwell, " All schools are equal, but some schools are more equal than others".

The really bad news is that the only thing worst than the NCAA would be no NCAA. It's like having a bad sheriff in the wild west that at least arrests some people some of the time versus total anarchy.
:sad: