Friday OT - Celebrities

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Robin Williams' passing is hitting a lot of people hard, and Lauren Bacall also affected many people. Is there a certain celebrity whose life, art, causes, or other have meant or mean more to you than most other celebrities?

Also - if anyone wants to take over Friday OT threads for the next couple of months, my online time will be pretty limited!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Not a huge celebrity, but Elliott Smith's suicide was, and still is, pretty sad.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I always am saddened when a long time, iconic actor or actresses passes. One that made it through decades of work with little or no 'drama'. Actors/actresses like Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Christopher Plummer, Max Von Sydow, Alan Arkin, etc...those will be ones that will be sad once they pass.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Dr. Steve Brule

3iEFSlw.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Paul Newman.

Married to and faithful to the same woman for fifty years (yes, she was his second wife) in an environment that breeds infidelity & divorce; versatile actor; extremely generous & has (through Newman's Own products) donated hundreds of millions for charity. He also started the "Hole in the Wall Gang Camp" for sick children to attend for free, which now has five or six different campuses. He has personally donated millions to various causes & relief efforts. I admired the man.

Plus...those eyes...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Beatles. Just such a bizarre rags to riches story. 4 guys from NOWHERE (Liverpool was the Ottumwa of England-and England had never produced a major pop/rock star) who just slogged on and didn't give up. Finally through a weird and bizarre series of events they got a recording contract (with a company that had already rejected them) and basically changed the face of popular music forever.

So much trivia and weird coincidences to make it all fall into place the way it did.

(Read "Tune In" by Mark Lewisohn to pull it all together)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I always am saddened when a long time, iconic actor or actresses passes. One that made it through decades of work with little or no 'drama'. Actors/actresses like Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Christopher Plummer, Max Von Sydow, Alan Arkin, etc...those will be ones that will be sad once they pass.

This one for me for sure. He cracks me up.

Id miss Christopher Walken as well.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Can I answer nobody? I'm not sure a celebrity death would ever really affect me. I'm pretty emotionless though.

I'm with you on this. I'm usually like "Meh, that sucks", but not emotionally invested or emotionally touched by any celebrities where I would be sad all day or anything like that.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm with you on this. I'm usually like "Meh, that sucks", but not emotionally invested or emotionally touched by any celebrities where I would be sad all day or anything like that.

Exactly. I mean I thought it sucked when Paul Walker died as I'm a sucker for ****** action movies, so I was looking forward to future Fast and Furious movies, but I didn't lose sleep or think about it/him.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You can count me in as another one. Of course I am shocked when someone dies before you would expect but I can't think of any celebrity that I would actually mourn over.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Can I answer nobody? I'm not sure a celebrity death would ever really affect me. I'm pretty emotionless though.

You can count me in as another one. Of course I am shocked when someone dies before you would expect but I can't think of any celebrity that I would actually mourn over.

Guys, I may have read it wrong, and Angie did lead with two recent deaths, but I took it as more of a "do you admire one celebrity (dead or alive) more than others" type question:

Is there a certain celebrity whose life, art, causes, or other have meant or mean more to you than most other celebrities?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I still don't really know why but Adam Yauch passing away really hurt. I loved his work and the change he was trying to be in the world. I'm usually pretty cynical but I felt like we lost a good man when he passed.

Help Support Us

Become a patron